NOOB ALERT!!! I've never flown a plane built but here is my first buld ever!!

DRONE JONES

So I am new to this hobby less than 6 months. I have never flown a plane but I am building this FT Racer. HUGE shout out to the FLITE TEST CREW!!! I still have to hook up the servos and build the power pod etc.Then onto its maiden flight, Here is what it looks like so far.

Last edited:

DRONE JONES

Thanks I have a lot of room for improvement and tons to learn. Been on the simulator a lot. Hoping that help when the time comes.

razor02097

Rogue Drone Pilot
It will, it will! As long as you keep in mind as good as computer technology is... the simulator takes place in an ideal world. Flying in real life is going to be pretty different with all the wind gusts, thermals, and small pressure differentials that exist. Don't be discouraged though!

If you've never flown before and you know an experienced pilot to buddy box with the first time you fly, it might be a good idea! If not you could also toss together an FT flyer out of one sheet of Adams board to practice with. It will take the same FT power pod and if you crash it, it only cost a dollar and a few hours of cutting and assembly.

razor02097

Rogue Drone Pilot
The nice thing is if you build dollar store foam planes and use places like hobby king you can quite literally get started in this hobby for about $100! The air frames are only a dollar or two to build and with the swappable pods you only have to invest in servos and linkages for each air frame. or not if you salvage those parts from your previous airframes! ;)

Capt_Beavis

Posted a thousand or more times
I am very impressed with that paint scheme, nice work. Can I get you to build a baby blender for me????? :)

mjmccarron

If your flying is anything like your building you'll be great! The Racer might not be the best choice for a first experience but as stated above, the airframe is only a couple of dollars. In any event, welcome to the forum and to the addiction. Keep us posted on your progress.

Mike

wilmracer

I build things that fly (sometimes)
Mentor
Looks great! Good luck on the maiden. The Sim will definitely help, but don't be too disappointed when/if you have a rough landing. The best thing about building your own aircraft is that you know how to repair/rebuild them.

DRONE JONES

Thanks everyone, I have a few days off coming up and plan to finish this plane. It took just 2 mornings before work to get the frame together. It helps to have a vinyl cutter for the graphics. Getting advice from a local group is helping alot. Beavis the baby blendeer is a nice plane but may cost alot to ship to Az.