Of Course it's an SE5

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
It is nearly 0430 local, and I'm still at it. I got the SE5 done to the point I was putting on the striping, and I noticed that the top wing was not centered. I have no idea what happened, it seemed perfect when I glued everything together. Regardless, It was way off. Major surgery time.

I had to cut the cabane struts free from the turtle deck, which destroyed the turtle deck. I cut the glue at the top of the cabanes, so I could change the angle of them. With all that I managed to fold one of them, and had to add braces. I added angle braces from the fuse to the top of the outer struts to center the top wing and had to work patches for the turtle deck in between everything to so the cabane struts had something to glue to.

I've got some weights left over from my son's Pinwood Derby days, and I've got 21grams of weight strapped under the nose. The nose still doesn't drop below the tail, when I balance the plane on the CG, but It feels heavier in the front than the back. We'll see how she flies.

IMG_0351.JPG

Then I found out my matched motors weren't matched, and after much comparison and head scratching I decided to pull the F Pack rotary from my DR1 and let my son maiden with it. I've already got another on order for the Mini Scout, and we'll use those two motors for combat.

So I figured I'd see how the DR1 did with a 1000kv motor and a 9x45 prop. Sounded like fun. Only once I got all the motors swapped around and plugged up and whatnot, the set screw on the 1000kv I got from YoungRC stripped out when I was tightening the propellor down, and now that motor is trash. That motor never even flew. I'd just taken it out of the box.

So back into the stash, and I've got a motor without markings that doesn't spin as freely as a 2300kv, but doesn't seem as tight as 1000kv. So I wired that up and stuck a 9x45 on it, and we'll see what happens.

I got the same weight set up ready for the DR1 as I've got on the SE5, only the strap won't work because of the cowling, which I just reattached. So I'm about to try to poke the skewers through the cowling from the inside, so I can cut some longer skewers that will go outside of the cowling and hold the strap in place.

I needed a break and it seemed a good time to update the thread. Why all the manic overnight build and repair? We're supposed to maiden the SE5 this afternoon! It was going so smoothly, right on track. Then BOOM! one thing after another after another. I'm determined. These darn planes are going to the field!

Ironically it might be too windy to actually fly the DR1 or the SE5. Forecast is iffy, and we won't know until we get there. I love this hobby. :LOL:

kilroy07

Legendary member
Ironically it might be too windy to actually fly the DR1 or the SE5.
Now THAT’’S a strong statement coming from you!! 😜
(Seriously if it’s too windy, wait it out... we want you to fight each other, not the wind.)

It’s my guess with a 9” prop on the Dr.1 your gonna see some pretty impressive torque rolls....
(Then again, that might just be what you were going for, certainly top Mayan’s roll(s)!)...
Shenanigans 🙄

All the fixing seems to have paid off, it’s looking good. And you can’t have the kid say your cheating by giving him a crooked airplane now can we. 😉

I firmly believe I have overcome the ( notoriously tail heavy problem) for proof refer to img.4016. I'd be happy to advise.
I would say so! 😂
Neither place I fly at has a hard surface, and there’s no way the Dr.1 would have taken off from grass either.... just the nature of theses little beasties I think. When landing I just chopped the throttle right at the end cause I knew she would just nose over.

I really like the skewer reinforcements replacing wires in the wings. Neat trick!

mayan

Legendary member
could it be nose heavy?

:LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO:

(Then again, that might just be what you were going for, certainly top Mayan’s roll(s)!)...
Shenanigans 🙄

All the fixing seems to have paid off, it’s looking good. And you can’t have the kid say your cheating by giving him a crooked airplane now can we. 😉
:LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO:

@buzzbomb great job man! Sorry it took me time to read this thread, been a bit busy with flying, crashing, and repairing my Mini Edge. I like @kilroy07 will also sit this on out, at least for now. I will though be looking forward to read through your wonderful exprience with this build :).

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
We got to maiden the SE5, today. My son was pretty worn out from school and not really into it, but we drove out and did it anyway. There were many aborted take off attempts and a couple hand launch attempts, but the plane refused to fly. It'd nose over to the left and drop, every time.

We finally figured out that I had a bit too much weight on the nose. I removed 7 grams of the 21 and this is the outcome:

Ha ha, it flies! It flies really good! I neglected to set a timer and we zeroed our first battery. It didn't puff any at all, but I don't know yet if it's recoverable. We also busted a couple of props, and the decorative landing gear struts are gone, but overall I call that a successful maiden flight. :)

It's his last week of school and he has finals, so we're not going flying next week. Maybe next weekend. I hope so! :D

mayan

Legendary member
Nice fly @TacoShako! You definitely out did my rolls and loops with a 3 channel plane. I still need to practice this :). @buzzbomb you have great builds man really amazing. You also quite quickly figure out why models don’t fly and fix them :).

Just a thought for your combat wouldn’t a bloody wonder work better?

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Nice fly @TacoShako! You definitely out did my rolls and loops with a 3 channel plane. I still need to practice this :). @buzzbomb you have great builds man really amazing. You also quite quickly figure out why models don’t fly and fix them :).

Just a thought for your combat wouldn’t a bloody wonder work better?
Thanks. I am getting better at troubleshooting as my experience grows.

We're not actively going to attempt to crash the planes together, though my son and I both believe it be inevitable. We'll either be all over the field, just trying to stay in the center, or we'll be crashing into each other trying to get the other's streamer. That's what the combat is supposed to be. I've got a red streamer and he's got a blue. DR1 vs. SE5. Classic WW1 dogfight!

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
after a week or more of either wind or rain and wind it finally cleared up enough i got to fly the SE5.

Nicely done! You've come a long way really fast, once you got things figured out. The SE5 was like your nemesis, and it flew beautifully.

bracesport

Legendary member
@buzzbomb - how did you get on with the battery? I left my 3cell 2400 on and over discharged at the weekend! I have done some research and it seems you can do a low charge on nicad setting to bump it into life then swap back to lipo for final charging :LOL: I am going to try that tomorrow :eek:

kilroy07

Legendary member
@buzzbomb - how did you get on with the battery? I left my 3cell 2400 on and over discharged at the weekend! I have done some research and it seems you can do a low charge on nicad setting to bump it into life then swap back to lipo for final charging :LOL: I am going to try that tomorrow :eek:
DO NOT leave that unattended while it’s charging!!
Watch for any signs of puffing.... this is how lipos catch fire.... be ready with any signs of trouble with a fire plan or better yet, do it outdoors!

buzzbomb

I know nothing!

DO NOT leave that unattended while it’s charging!!
Watch for any signs of puffing.... this is how lipos catch fire.... be ready with any signs of trouble with a fire plan or better yet, do it outdoors!

By the time it got on the charger, it had recovered to 3%. I balance charged it (in a LiPo bag, in an ammo can) and it charged to 98%. I left it for a few hours and checked it with no change in charge level. Then I brought it down to storage level and it seems to be fine. It never even got warm and there is no puffing at all. I can't even pick it out of the lineup anymore.

I think I got lucky in that it's a decent quality battery (tattu) and basically brand new. I'll definitely remember to set a timer, next time!

Spacefarer

About that battery zero-ing thing, does that only apply to some ESCs? I've gone below 3.3v/cell due to temperature, but I don't think I ever have permanently. Even then I think it would still be recoverable if you just charge without balancing for a little bit and switch over, right?

kilroy07

Legendary member
I think I got lucky in that it's a decent quality battery (tattu) and basically brand new.
I wasn’t going to say don’t try... ‘cause I’ve done it myself (I had one low cell on a new battery) but with the chemical make up pulling a cell to too a low a voltage is definitely were the trouble can begin.

Just be cautious Brother!