Oh boy, how things have changed in the R/C world!

DieselGizmo

Hi all. As the thread title suggests, I'm rustier than old barn nails. I haven't put anything up in the air in two decades so I might as well be a born-again newbie. My uncle got me hooked on R/C and basically all things aviation related when I was five years old.

Fast-foward some 40 years and my uncle's health is failing rapidly. He was in a steady decline but it quickly deteriorated. He had already started handing off some of his accumulated R/C gear to me earlier in the year but it was really difficult for me to take it. I hate feeling like a vulture but I knew I was going to be the person to preserve the memories of his passion. I'm the only person in the family with the R/C bug so he wanted me to get what I wanted or it would probably end up trashed. I made a couple of trips over for visits and brought home more gear and planes each time. Tools, planes, plans, parts. I was a bit overwhelmed to say the least but excited about getting back into something I really loved. But where to start?

Five weeks ago my introduction to FliteTest happened. Google up R/C foam airplanes (have I mentioned I now have about 75 foam airplanes?) and I see FliteTest as a top recommendation. Go to YouTube and I'm immediately hooked, all over again. Forty years after being lured into the hobby I was that little five year old nephew. That night I probably watched 10 videos of Josh and Josh before I turned off the computer and took my exhausted self to bed.

Four weeks ago my uncle entered hospice care. I made three more trips to his home to fetch more stuff. The guy was a prolific and well-respected builder but holy cow, man! I filled up a Town & Country minivan three times. I had room for me to drive and that was all the space that wasn't taken up by airplanes and related stuff. I think I lost 10 pounds in sweat just moving, loading and unloading all of the collection.

Two weeks ago my uncle passed away at 9:30 in the evening. I was sitting in my backyard with my dogs, tinkering around on an airplane trying to figure out how a prop saver works (don't laugh... okay laugh because I did) and what the heck else I didn't know about the hobby that had come to be in the last 20 years. Daylight was all but gone but I was a kid again, savoring every bit of the day that I could. That's when the call came. I sat there with a small bit of his work in my hands, crying. I started gathering up the tools I had with me and I noticed the screwdriver with a newly-familiar logo on it.

FullSizeRender.jpg

Well okay, that does make my weird-a-meter twitch but I'm rather fond of the strange serendipitous moments that life throws my way.

So yeah, thank you FliteTest. In a weird way I guess I was supposed to find you. I'm happy I did. FliteTest will always remind me of my uncle and eventually I'll make it to a FliteFest, probably next year. In the meantime I really need to get some time on the sticks and do my uncle proud.

Thanks for indulging me in this lengthy "Hey, New guy here!" post. I just wanted to let the FliteTest family know that they have made an indelible mark on my life. I'm forever grateful.

DG

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Welcome to the family mate.

That story alone is a great start for carrying on in your uncles footsteps. I am sure he is already proud from years ago when he first invited you into his world with RC. I think knowing his gear went to a home where it would be appreciated AND used was more then he would have thought could happen when he started collecting it all.

What a great way to introduce yourself to all of us here that wholly appreciate what you have and will go thru. Thank you for the story and again welcome to the family.