Old Cox steal line flyer

Kurt0326

Your ADD Care Bear
Mentor
Our Scout Master came by last night with a gift for me. I'm not sure what I'm going to do with it yet. i was hoping to get a few ideas form you guys. Well here it is, a pretty plane. Maybe someone can tell me the model off hand?

20140513_083357[1].jpg

20140513_083544[1].jpg

It's pretty big. Might be more that I can handle. I also have only experience with electric planes...

So what is it?

What do you think i should do with it?

Ron B

Posted a thousand or more times
Make it electric and finish it as long as the air frame is straight it should not take to much more to finish.
Wait on motor and esc until you are fairly sure of what the all up weight will be.

pgerts

Old age member
Mentor
There is normally lead in the outer wing - not good for RC ;-).
Best is to finish the plane as a control line.
Is it for a .45 or a .60? It is a really nice stunt plane.
An OS 46 LA is probably a good choice.
If you want to convert to RC you have to split the flaps and make flaperons.

Kurt0326

Your ADD Care Bear
Mentor
I really have no info on this aircraft. I assume it's a .45 motor. It's wing span is about the same as my pylon racer. That has a 480 electric. Thinking about putting that in it.

Shug

Looks like it could be an old control line Smoothie....http://brodak.com/arc-smoothie.html It would use a .35 to .40 engine.
Nice gift he gave you.
I have gotten back into control line flying...as well as RC. The "feel" of a plane pulling on you is something I enjoy.
Below is a stunt ship the Prowler I finished after a 19 year break. Waiting to fly it soon as I get some more practice on the handle.
Hope you hook some lines to it! Classic))))))
Shug

My Control Line Prowler

Smoothie

Kurt0326

Your ADD Care Bear
Mentor
Thanks Shug. Do yo think after the 20+ years the glue will hold?

Edit: Also, the rudder is missing... I know there should be a rudder pitch pulling the plane away while it flys. What degree should I pitch the rudder?

Last edited:

MrClean

You might also take a tape measure to it. Not uncommmon for the outer wing to be shorter then the inner wing which travels at a lower speed and makes less lift. You can always finish it and hang it. They are pretty aircraft when done right.