Old Fogey Motor ?

alan0043

Hi Everyone,

I am not to sure where to post this question but I am hoping this is the correct place. I have been working on an Old Fogey. I had this motor in my box of spare parts. It has never been used. I am hoping it could work for the Old Fogey. The motor is a Turnigy D2826 2200kv. What to you guys think ? To big ? I that I read some where, where the Old Fogey could use a 'B' power pack. I am a rookie trying to learn about the hobby.

Thanks for any help,
Al

alan0043

Hi Everyone,

I am not to sure where to post this question but I am hoping this is the correct place. I have been working on an Old Fogey. I had this motor in my box of spare parts. It has never been used. I am hoping it could work for the Old Fogey. The motor is a Turnigy D2826 2200kV. What to you guys think ? To big ? I that I read some where, where the Old Fogey could use a 'B' power pack. I am a rookie trying to learn about the hobby.

Thanks for any help,
Al

Hi Everyone,

I understand that the Old Fogey could use an Emax CF 2822 with a 9"-10" prop with a 20 amp esc. I am still during research trying to understand what the numbers on a motor mean. So far I have not found anything about what size prop or esc to run on the Turnigy D2826 2200kV. But from what I have read so far it sounds like that the D2826 can spin faster because it is 2200kV motor.

If I have wrote anything wrong please correct me so I don't make a big mistake.

Flyingshark

Master member
Hi Everyone,

I understand that the Old Fogey could use an Emax CF 2822 with a 9"-10" prop with a 20 amp esc. I am still during research trying to understand what the numbers on a motor mean. So far I have not found anything about what size prop or esc to run on the Turnigy D2826 2200kV. But from what I have read so far it sounds like that the D2826 can spin faster because it is 2200kV motor.

If I have wrote anything wrong please correct me so I don't make a big mistake.
kV translates into how fast it can spin, and the first two numbers, in your case 28 and 26 are the dimensions in millimeters of the motor.

Different manufacturers measure the size of their motors differently. Some measure the stator, the part inside that stays still, and other companies measure the whole motor.

A quick search led me to a video about your motor that says a 7x4 prop is recommended, but you can run a 7x6 and it will be okay.

The Emax CF2822 that you mentioned has a lower kV rating, so it can run a larger prop than the Turnigy. It will just spin it more slowly.

In terms of ESCs, a 30 amp one should be fine, although a higher amp rating will give you more of a safety margin. The amp draw of a motor depends on the size of the propeller, so if you stay around the recommended 7x4 you should be fine.

alan0043

kV translates into how fast it can spin, and the first two numbers, in your case 28 and 26 are the dimensions in millimeters of the motor.

Different manufacturers measure the size of their motors differently. Some measure the stator, the part inside that stays still, and other companies measure the whole motor.

A quick search led me to a video about your motor that says a 7x4 prop is recommended, but you can run a 7x6 and it will be okay.

The Emax CF2822 that you mentioned has a lower kV rating, so it can run a larger prop than the Turnigy. It will just spin it more slowly.

In terms of ESCs, a 30 amp one should be fine, although a higher amp rating will give you more of a safety margin. The amp draw of a motor depends on the size of the propeller, so if you stay around the recommended 7x4 you should be fine.

Hi Flyingshark,

Thank you for the help. The info you give me was a big help. I think the I just might have a motor for the Old Fogey. I'll go with The Turnigy with a 7x4 prop and a 30 amp esc. If anyone see anything out of place, please let me know. Still learning at the age of 71. :cool: