Old New Guy

deckroid

Hey there

I have been in and out of the rc flying hobby for a long time now. Foamies, stick build, arf, rtf, gas, electric, multi-rotor, AMA memberships... you get the picture.

Anyway. After the kids were born, I sold off or gave away to my flight club 99% of my gear. I bought a Phantom a few years ago and am still flying it. My kids are now to the age (12 and 10) that their $5 rc drone from the cheapy store isn't cutting it and they want to get into the hobby like I used to be. The FT kits look awesome. I think I am going to start them off with one, but I want it to be something they can learn and grow with.

Which one would you guys suggest? I used to have a flying wing with my gas engine a long time ago and remember is was fun, but SUPER fast, so I don't know if that will work.

Also, I would like to pick up a glider again. Any thoughts on that? A buddy has the Radian and loves it, but if there is something in the shop like it... I will get that.

Thanks!

Liam B

Welcome to the forum. Check out the Explorer or the Storch. Both easy to build, and very durable, too. If you want to get a glider or RTF plane, the UMX Radian is a good starter. After that, you can always get a normal Radian.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
I would recommend that you consider the Mini Tiny Trainer.

It can be a multi-role aircraft with a number of wings and fuselage configurations that will allow you to go slope soaring, 3 channel trainer, 4 channel trainer. Reasonably robust, easy to repair, and is a low power small battery start which can be up-engined moderately to give a good turn of speed.

A lot of posts are about upgrades and changes done by others for a pusher configuration, Single piece and lighter fuselage and an alternate wing or 2. Really a most capable trainer.

I re-learned on a TT after a couple of generations away from RC and before it I was a crash master and now I teach others on the TT design.

Have fun!

earthsciteach

You can not beat the FT Flyer for introducing young kids to RC flight. It is simple to construct, builds quickly (they can help without getting overly bored) and flies like you are driving a car in the air. It will quickly build the hand-eye coordination they need, far quicker than old farts like us can learn.

Once you are ready to introduce them to a "real" model airplane, the Explorer or Storch are fantastic, forgiving models.

And, EVERYONE should own a Radian. I am convinced they are infused with helium and sprinkled with fairy dust at the factory. Magical airplanes, they be!