OMTech Lasers - 50w co2 laser engraver - build log and experience

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
Strange i haven't had any issues with cooling or exhaust. But i have a finished shop in the back of my attached garage so i think it keeps the temp pretty moderate.

Well, keep in mind I'm in AZ. Right now here in my back room with the window open it's 79F on January 11th :D

And ventilation...the room I current have the laser in (my dining room...I haven't had access to my dining room table for over two years since the laser is taking it up) has no windows. Just a big sliding glass door that literally fills the entire wall. The other outside wall is on the other side of the room and would require running the vent hose over the main walkway I use to get to my backyard.

So...both problems are pretty much a worst case situation for me :D

I actually ordered a fish tank chiller and extra pump this morning to start experimenting with. It's basically a couple of peltier devices with a heat block and heat pipes to some big heat sinks with fans on them. Supposed to be able to keep an 8 gallon fish tank cool so hopefully will be enough to keep my 4 gallons of cooling water chilled. The vent....that will have to wait until I get the laser moved out to my office to solve. Until then I just have to open the sliding door and stick the hose outside...but that leaves a big enough gap that a lot of the smoke and smell still get blown right back inside.

The new lens I put in mine is a 2" for the reasons you outline - basically it's the best compromise between cutting depth (about 1/2") and detail for the kind of things I want to do with mine. But - I had to majorly re-engineer the workbed to get it to the right height for that. (I don't remember what the stock lens on my ultra cheap K40 was...but the stock work bed was junk anyway.) And in fact the workbed I currently have is just temporary since I plan on ditching just about everything except the laser tube and power supply before I'm done (I already ditched the stock electronics for a smoothie board and have a bunch of 2020 and 2040 rail waiting for me to design a new motion platform and case.)

One of these days I look forward to getting a camera setup on mine. Definitely makes them nicer! But I need to get these more basic issues worked out first. But given mine was <$350 off ebay I really have no complaints...I expected before I bought it that the tube and power supply were the only parts I'd keep long term :D

thenated0g

Drinker of coffee, Maker of things
Mentor
Thank you for the reply about the 2" lens. Gives me hope this will fix that issue.

thenated0g

Mentor
So i got my 2.5" lens in this past week. And than i sat down, watched some youtube videos on mirror alignment and took my time and went thru all the mirrors. Apparently whoever sets up these chinese machines does not check the mirrors at all positions. After aligning i found that i could get consistent cuts across my entire table and actually had to turn down the power settings i had been using, so that is great. Circles and corners are better as well. It still amazes me how simple cnc machines are. Especially compared to something like a laser printer. Very few parts and you can see everything and how it works.

thenated0g

Mentor
Been really enjoying the Lightburn usb camera setup. Makes it very easy to use up every last scrap of material as i can place my designs in software and not worry about a piece of material being in a specific location on the table. Random cookie cutter pieces and scrap are instantly usable now.

Playing around with a wall mount design this weekend. 5mm back plate and 3mm arms.
PXL_20210125_145517124.jpg PXL_20210125_145520103.jpg PXL_20210125_145528013.jpg

thenated0g

Mentor
Heres that wall mount up in use:
PXL_20210126_023632354.jpg PXL_20210126_023613986.jpg PXL_20210126_023006010.jpg

Made up two other versions. One can hold a larger plane against the wall and a bigger one to ceiling mount a plane.
PXL_20210127_025850223.jpg PXL_20210127_150329282.jpg PXL_20210127_150335694.jpg

Tape organizer
PXL_20210126_023650314.jpg

And some stuff for aloft
PXL_20210127_150313578.jpg PXL_20210127_150318961.jpg

thenated0g

Mentor
Are you planning to build a fully laser-cut airplane at some point?
Yes, but i havent evern built a balsa plane, except for maybe a fuselage, so ill probably do something simple at first, like a plywood version of a versa wing or something.

thenated0g

Mentor
Started putting the wing hangers to work this weekend. And went thru a couple versions of corona servo holders for my sequoia 2m build.

PXL_20210131_175655485.jpg PXL_20210131_175729955.jpg PXL_20210131_214309847.jpg PXL_20210201_142700850.jpg PXL_20210201_144809962.jpg PXL_20210201_144848648.jpg

creativehack

Thanks for sharing. I've found this thread very helpful. I just setup a 80 watt Omtech laser me and friend went in on together. After having to align the laser to get it to work, the engraving seems to work well. It does struggle to cut materials even 1/8th inch thick. Being new to lasers it was puzzling since everyone seems to have no problems making those cuts. Sounds like I need to check my mirrors since I didn't realize them being off a bit could affect the cutting so much.

How did you know what type of lense came with the machine? In other threads/videos everyone references using a 2" to 2.5" lenses which sound like they are better for cutting.

Last edited:

thenated0g

Mentor
@creativehack The lens sits just above where the nozzle shrinks down. You need to measure from that space to the top of the material. That distance is the lens "type". 2", 2.5", etc. See this picture:
1613496787018.png

If your not sure what the correct cutting distance is for your lens, check out this video and similar on youtube:

Realigning all the mirrors and going to a 2.5" lens has turned my machine into just an awesome experience. I just walk out and everything cuts perfect now. Right now my favorite thing to use is 5mm mahogany ply and 3mm and below birch.

dkj4linux

Elite member
Thanks, Nate, for documenting your journey with this machine... you do great work! I didn't discovered this thread until after I ordered it... but my Omtech 50W laser is to be delivered Monday.

I came very close to pulling the trigger on one of the little K40 units back when @jhitesma got his a couple of years ago but my laziness and procrastination (the best tool in my toolbox!) got the better of me at the time and kept me from going down that particular rabbit hole... the small work area and amount of tinkering required just to make it really functional was my main concern. Not that I'm against tinkering but my plate was already full enough and it just wasn't a priority for me personally. But now that my crafty daughter, who lives next door, has fallen in love with Lightburn and one of my little 3.5W diode laser machines for making gifts and knick-knacks, I've decided to see if I can help her step up her game a bit more. I pointed her to this thread and some of the things you've done with your machine and I think she's getting excited about the possibilities... :D

So again, thanks! -- David

thenated0g

Mentor
@dkj4linux Yeah this will take a month or two of playing around with but at the end you will know everything about the machine. Just take your time, go thru all the parts, do a full mirror alignment etc. Still love my machine and feel confident that i can replace fix anything on it now.