Oops! Bad paint job.

Donnie Bee

I bought a bottle of white (Apple Barrel brand) gloss acrylic paint at Walmart. Thinned it down some & used my airbrush to paint the fuselage for my simple cub a few days ago. It looked great. Today I miss aligned the 1st sticker I tried to put on. Trying to remove the sticker, the paint started to peel. Sure I was upset. But I couldn't have that. So I started peeling the paint off with my finger tips/nails. It was working, but it was taking along time. So I thought if the sticker would pull it off I wonder how this Scotch packing tape would work? Pressing the tape lightly to the paint & then pulling the tape back off. It worked great, lifting the paint off but leaving the brown paper. Now I need to come up with a better plan to repaint it.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
I bought a bottle of white (Apple Barrel brand) gloss acrylic paint at Walmart. Thinned it down some & used my airbrush to paint the fuselage for my simple cub a few days ago. It looked great. Today I miss aligned the 1st sticker I tried to put on. Trying to remove the sticker, the paint started to peel. Sure I was upset. But I couldn't have that. So I started peeling the paint off with my finger tips/nails. It was working, but it was taking along time. So I thought if the sticker would pull it off I wonder how this Scotch packing tape would work? Pressing the tape lightly to the paint & then pulling the tape back off. It worked great, lifting the paint off but leaving the brown paper. Now I need to come up with a better plan to repaint it.

Be smarter then the paint... Sand the brown paper to scuff it up then PRIME the aircraft...then on to the happy airbrush work n stickerz.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
I wasn't my best plan for sure. LOL.

I picked up a cheap airbrush kit off Amazon about a week ago now and have been practicing. I can paint with a big gun easily and decently even good with rattle cans but that tiny airbrush thing takes serious control for fine detail work. My hand cramped up so bad the first few times I messed with it.

cyclone3350

Master member
Look for Folk art by Plaid. The paint with the wine glass on the label means that U can paint glass, and when cured, it can handle the dishwasher. It is a few cents more than Apple Barrel, sprays well when thinned, and it is pretty durable. Walmart caries it and I use it for my electric park flyers. Hobby Lobby has even more colors.

Attachments

• 848bfff5-d08a-431f-b295-de409665bb90.jpg
    848bfff5-d08a-431f-b295-de409665bb90.jpg
    173.4 KB · Views: 0

Donnie Bee

I picked up a cheap airbrush kit off Amazon about a week ago now and have been practicing. I can paint with a big gun easily and decently even good with rattle cans but that tiny airbrush thing takes serious control for fine detail work. My hand cramped up so bad the first few times I messed with it.
I use airbrushes a lot in the past on plastic models. 1st try on foam board.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
I use airbrushes a lot in the past on plastic models. 1st try on foam board.

Made a make shift easel for my work bench and am painting 20 x 30 card stock left over from cutting out FT kits and making templates. I paint a bunch of practice lines and other exercises then I go over all that with one solid color and start over. If this piece of cardboard ever falls over I think it may shatter after a long time doing this haha.

So far I have the two brushes semi set up to work good. I can do really fine lines with the .02 I just need more smooth trigger control or a better balance of reducer and paint. The .03 I have managed to get several "erase the page" coats that are super smooth and even. I think if I were to paint a guitar body with that I could do a good enough job with some normal wet sanding and polishing to be an acceptable job.

Donnie Bee

Look for Folk art by Plaid. The paint with the wine glass on the label means that U can paint glass, and when cured, it can handle the dishwasher. It is a few cents more than Apple Barrel, sprays well when thinned, and it is pretty durable. Walmart caries it and I use it for my electric park flyers. Hobby Lobby has even more colors.
I'll have to try that someday. I ordered a can of Liqutex acrylic spay paint today, figuring I'll give that a try. I had really good luck on plastic models in the past using Testors Aztek acrylic airbrush paint. Seem like it's hard to find a lot of colors. Maybe Testors don't make Aztek anymore.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!

Right now I am just using the 8 color 2oz bottle paint set that came with the kit from US Art supply. When I get to where I am doing finish work on guitars I will switch over to Madea / Iwata or Createx. I will pick up an 8 oz botle of the createx black this month to start working with that. Will be either borrowing a friends Iwata brush after I get better with this or buy my own as his are older brushes from when they did porcelain and antique dinnerware restoration and may be outta date or even worn out.

cyclone3350

Master member
I'll have to try that someday. I ordered a can of Liqutex acrylic spay paint today, figuring I'll give that a try. I had really good luck on plastic models in the past using Testors Aztek acrylic airbrush paint. Seem like it's hard to find a lot of colors. Maybe Testors don't make Aztek anymore.

I used to use the Testors acrylic and then switched to Tamiya. It is expensive using those little bottles. Now, if I need a specific military color, I will buy one and spray it on a 2 in square poster board. Then I take it to Home Depot and for like $5, I buy a PPG enamel 1/2 pint sample and they exact color it. But only on serious military projects. Other wise I just go Plaid.

cyclone3350

Master member
Right now I am just using the 8 color 2oz bottle paint set that came with the kit from US Art supply. When I get to where I am doing finish work on guitars I will switch over to Madea / Iwata or Createx. I will pick up an 8 oz botle of the createx black this month to start working with that. Will be either borrowing a friends Iwata brush after I get better with this or buy my own as his are older brushes from when they did porcelain and antique dinnerware restoration and may be outta date or even worn out.

I keep a Createx opaque black and one white. I found that it compatible with most of my acrylics and use it for tinting.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
I keep a Createx opaque black and one white. I found that it compatible with most of my acrylics and use it for tinting.

I eventually want to stock black , white, Red, Green, and Blue Createx in at least 4 oz size not sure how long this stuff is good in an unsealed bottle. Any idea of shelf life on the Createx paints?

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
I used to use the Testors acrylic and then switched to Tamiya. It is expensive using those little bottles. Now, if I need a specific military color, I will buy one and spray it on a 2 in square poster board. Then I take it to Home Depot and for like $5, I buy a PPG enamel 1/2 pint sample and they exact color it. But only on serious military projects. Other wise I just go Plaid.

I may do that mix thing at Home Depo too for the final pant on my guitar resto. that way it will be exact. Do you know if they can do %mixes in RGB formats? Be real easy to color match what I want from an old ad on the internet and import it into paint or similar to dropper it and get the RGB mix.

cyclone3350

Master member
I may do that mix thing at Home Depo too for the final pant on my guitar resto. that way it will be exact. Do you know if they can do %mixes in RGB formats? Be real easy to color match what I want from an old ad on the internet and import it into paint or similar to dropper it and get the RGB mix.

As far as the shelf life, I am not sure, the last time I used it, it was opened and @ least two years old. Still usable. For the format, again I am not sure. I hand them my spray sample and they do a scan and it computes the colors. As long as the colors to be scanned is a matt or satin, It is pretty accurate. If the sample has a high gloss ( like Monokote trim ) I have found that doesn't scan well.