Orange 433Mhz 'LRS' module

bmsweb

Site Moderator
I'm hoping someone buys it and reports back on the range as it could be a cheaper alternative. For know I'm still going to be going down the path of Rmilec.

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
I'd love to report on how this thing goes... But I don't know what AusPost are like in other capital cities at the moment... I had my wife's Christmas present sent Platinum Express, and it turned up the next business day... Some time between 10 and 11pm, a $400 item that was supposed to be signed for stuffed into the letter box, and no notification that they'd done so. I only know it was then because our dogs went berserk some time around then and a white van drove off. We didn't check the mail box until morning when we remembered being woken up by the dogs. I'm not anticipating any deliveries of overseas goods until after new year...

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
Just got a knock on the door. 8pm Christmas Eve. It's a little box with some orange things inside... The first thing to check out was the antenna. Pulling the plastic cover off (carefully), it's a helical antenna like many short wave radios have. I think the performance will be just fine.

I've just finished setting up my Raptor, including little tubes for the FrSky antennas to poke out perpendicular to each other. I might test out this little system and make sure it works OK before sticking it into the Raptor.

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
I've done the ground testing. I plugged it into the Bixler. I couldn't get the damned thing to work... Until I realised that the stickers on the rx were wrong. They've stuck the channel numbers too far to the left, so I wasn't plugging into channel 3 for power after all... Once I worked that out it all went fine. The failsafe works, but when you re-establish connection the motor turns on full power for a couple of seconds. All servos work smoothly as they should.

There's no option for a reduced power test, so I'll try it in the air LOS tomorrow if it's not too windy. If that goes well, I guess I'll try some distance flying with the Raptor!

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
Here's a happy snap of the antenna unmasked:
IMG170.jpg

And the RCG thread: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1778553&page=17#post23612319 . Not much of it is worth reading yet... Mostly debate on whether it's OK for someone to reproduce this open source product. But it's starting to come good. I didn't weigh in on the debate, but I have no issues whatever with a third party manufacturing an open source product. It'd be polite for the manufacturer to let the designer know, but open source is open source regardless of whether this happens or not. But best not to get into this I think...

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
Alright. It's overcast in Canberra today, but very little wind to speak of. I took my Bixler for its final dash to test out the LRS module.

Initially, I had the antenna sitting flat on the floor of the plane (90 degrees to the tx). I flew the plane to the edge of where I could see. On occasions, the motor chopped on and off power as it got further away (probably about 400m or so) and servo reaction time was a little on the slow side. However it came back just fine.

After landing it, I poked the antenna through the servo hole in the empty camera mount to sit it vertically. This time I flew it until it was the tiniest speck on the horizon (I reckon about 600m). I didn't hear the motor change at all, and the servos were still slower than I'm used to, but not by much. I brought it a bit closer and put the tx antenna perpendicular to see if it beeps at you when RSSI gets low. It slowed down the servo response time, but no beeps. I'm still using the stock firmware, which doesn't seem to have a low signal alarm set (I could be wrong).

I'm in two minds about chucking it onto the Raptor at this stage. I might wait to hear how other people have gone, and I might flash it with some better firmware (why don't they ever use the full featured one...?) if there's a consensus.

robschonk

I'm not sure that an Orange module is going to give you that much of an increased range. It's output is 100mw, which is comparable with most full range systems.

The beauty of the 433/70cm systems is that you can run higher power, with a ham ticket, and use directional antennas for almost unlimited range. (Not so for your video system. Thats going to be the limiting factor for FPV). For example, I use a 5 watt walkie talkie system and a directional antenna to work thru low earth orbit satellites to a distance of about 1000km. Heres how its done:

http://www.work-sat.com/Work-Sat/Home.html

Heres an amp you could use:

http://www.mirageamp.com/Product.php?productid=BD-35

Check your laws. Its prolly not legal to run 100mw inside the ham bands without a license.

Rob

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
As they say, it's not the power, but how you use it... I think this system, with some decent antennas (hopefully it's possible to add diversity to the system), will go plenty far enough. It's true that most 2.4 systems are around 100mW (FrSky is only 60) but this will go well beyond any full range system.

In Aus, 433Mhz is covered by the low interference licence to 25mW. I'll be getting my HAM licence soon, but where I fly I'm highly unlikely to be noticed.

Also keep in mind that this isn't really OrangeRx... This is copied straight off the plans for OpenLRS - for all intents and purposes it is the same thing. It's not as powerful as Dragonlink and EZUHZ or RMILEC, but certainly should deliver range well beyond what 2.4 can

ezroller

As they say, it's not the power, but how you use it... I think this system, with some decent antennas (hopefully it's possible to add diversity to the system), will go plenty far enough. It's true that most 2.4 systems are around 100mW (FrSky is only 60) but this will go well beyond any full range system.

In Aus, 433Mhz is covered by the low interference licence to 25mW. I'll be getting my HAM licence soon, but where I fly I'm highly unlikely to be noticed.

Also keep in mind that this isn't really OrangeRx... This is copied straight off the plans for OpenLRS - for all intents and purposes it is the same thing. It's not as powerful as Dragonlink and EZUHZ or RMILEC, but certainly should deliver range well beyond what 2.4 can

Hey there, any news on how you got on with this system? after having a few problems 2.4 control and losing a quadcopter with a one day old gopro3 (im still in shock!) im looking to move onto something else. more specifically a 9x and the orange lrs looks appealing but pretty conflicting opinions.

your previous posts were nice and informative so thought id see if your opinions on it have changed.

thanks

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
this is where I put out one of these smileys: :eek:

I think overall this is an OK system. However in trying to program the damned things, I've burnt out all the transmitter chips. They're very voltage sensitive, and if I was manufacturing these for HK, I'd stick a bigger voltage regulator on the rx and link this voltage regulator with the FTDI and ISP ports. I've given up on this system and keeping the parts in case one day I decide it's worth getting a couple of FRM23B replacement transmitters and soldering them on. I'm happy with FrSky for now.

UndCon

UndCon
I did some testing today - I'm using the latest openLRSng firmware

I soldered a dipole yesterday for my TX. put the receiver, a servo and power on a table in front of my house and walked the same path as I did when testing my Cloverleaf for 1280 (video on youtube)

I had no glitch at all, not a beep as warning. At most it was 4 1 story builidngs between me and the RX, max distance for this walk was ~350 meter but there are lots of buildings as i walk in a loop around my blocks.
(FR-sky does not like this trip)

I will mount the gear + FPV on a RC car so I can drive away and see how far I can go.

Solid equipment :)

//UndCon

Geebles

FPV + Tri
[..] I've burnt out all the transmitter chips. They're very voltage sensitive [..]

Hey,

Sorry to hear you burnt it out, and sorry to barge in but I was wondering if you could give any hints as how not to burn the chips out? Would be really helpful to make sure no one else gets in the same situation! Any advice?

Regards,
Giles

UndCon

UndCon
Looking forward to the video of that, UndCon!

I can tell you this video is booring:)

rangecheck.PNG

This is a screenshot from the video...recorded with GoPro in r2 mode.

I took a walk around block - the same path as in my Cloverleaf test and the FrSky test

This time I used the servo test programming for Er9X - It continuously moves the servo from end to end.

If I drop the signal the failsafe kicks in after a predetermined value in OpenLRSng
(default is ~2secs)

I left the receiver on a table with a dipole connected and my route goes in various directions around the antenna.

The summary...
I did hear a few faint beeps from the TX module, this indicates a few dropped packets but the failsafe never kicked in. I could not trigger dropped packets by moving antenna around during my walk.

At most I had 3-4 buildings between me and the RX - remember that I walk on a street and the RX is lying on a table - far from optimal when we talk radio waves.

Imagine the RX being mounted on a plane...

I have to do some serious range checks with the Bixler...

I will do this by programming waypoints further and furhter away from me in Arduplane software.
If I drop signal, failsafe will kick in and engage RTH.

I assume I will have greater range on 433 than on my 1.2Ghz Videolink.

Only tests will tell how far I can go now...

//UndCon

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
You can power the devices up by their usual means (ie 5V through servo plugs or from the back of a tx) and don't connect the V in on your programmer, or try and find a 3V FTDI or ISP (they're very uncommon).

I think HK should just stick a V reg from 5V to 3V in the circuit to prevent the tx chips from ever getting 5V in the first place... Then you'd be able to use the programmer as normal.

Hey,

Sorry to hear you burnt it out, and sorry to barge in but I was wondering if you could give any hints as how not to burn the chips out? Would be really helpful to make sure no one else gets in the same situation! Any advice?

Regards,
Giles

UndCon

UndCon
I meant the video of your upcoming RC car LRS FPV test... You don't drive like an old lady, do you? =)

LOL - of course...not the rangecheck video with a lego dude pointing his gun all over :D

The drive was boring so I aborted - the crawler has so low top speed so it takes ages before you run out of range.

I did the maiden 433-flight on the Bixler yesterday - all worked as supposed to so I stepped quickly thru the flightmodes

Manual, Stabilize and AUTO.

In AUTO mode the plane automagically follows the predetermined waypoints, in my case a small trip within LOS while I was listening to the Module If I get any dropped packets.

Nothing indicated that so far - next up is 1Km in FPV - also this in AUTO mode so the plane goes there by itself. I can "nudge" it so I know I have control, I can also see in my goggles and listen to the module If I get out of range.

If I lose connection - failsfe kicks in ~2secs later and RTH is engaged.

By using this approach I feel very confident increasing the range to the limits.

Last edited:

bmsweb

Site Moderator
That's great to hear you're at the testing phase UndCon! Looking forwards to seeing how far you get out :) I'm at the stage where a decision needs to be made soon as far as LR Systems go.