Original Radian - why is it gone?

MarkPrima

I was always curious why the original Radian powered glider is no longer available? I've had mine for many years but has scummed to too many repairs.

I see there is a night Radian but what a steep price tag when you live in Ontario, Canada. I really wish they would bring back the Radian :)

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Seems most things have gotten smaller and lighter. With more people tring to get under 250g, I don't see this trend changing anytime soon. I have surfer 2000mm and 1600mm that were on clearance several years ago. Also an 1800mm flying wing. SO much better flying bigger stuff when winds aren't calm. As everyone else has been going smaller and faster, I have been going bigger and slower.

MarkPrima

I don't think the night Radian is any smaller, I think that Flight test bumped out the regular Radian and came up with their own version. I have to stick to making foamies, money is tight during these times.

MarkPrima

They don't make the Radian. Horizon Hobby does. The night radian is 2 meters, and the radian is 2.6 meters.

https://www.horizonhobby.com/produc...UBUvrabo3uUjb7ncXNGFfZP3H41EoVLIaAibrEALw_wcB
Yup they don't make that one either
Screen Shot 2021-02-08 at 09.56.00 AM.png

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Wasnt the OG Radian redone since it had issues with the tailfeathers falling off mid flight? I seem to remember that being brought up when Ft introduced the Night Radian

AIRFORGE

Make It Fly!
I recall that problem, too, @PsyBorg , but I can't remember if it was the OG, or the XL having the issue.

Last edited:

GliderFlyer

Elite member
I was always curious why the original Radian powered glider is no longer available? I've had mine for many years but has scummed to too many repairs.

I see there is a night Radian but what a steep price tag when you live in Ontario, Canada. I really wish they would bring back the Radian :)
I don't like it when they discontinue things that seem to be a good value.
I wish I could get a UMX whipit, but its discontinued too.:cry:

-One of the members of my flying field bought the night radian, then took out all the lights to save weight.
But if you want a sailplane, then I recommend balsa. I've heard that it flies better(y)

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor

The original radian is what I had my first buddy-box flight experience. It’s too bad they don’t make it anymore.

Flite Risk

You can find the O.G. radian.
Keep your eyes open on places like Craigslist and Farcebook market place.
I just found one few weeks ago for 50.00 it already had the mod to strengthen the tail too.

L Edge

Master member

I have one of original Radian's( no ailerons) and it was super light and climbed like a fighter plane. As you know, then always want to show that they could improve it. Later models never lived up to the original.

Flite Risk

I have one of original Radian's( no ailerons) and it was super light and climbed like a fighter plane. As you know, then always want to show that they could improve it. Later models never lived up to the original.
I've heard of some simple prop mods that make it climb even faster

L Edge

Master member
Only bad feature to the original was trying to come down quickly, the wings would flutter and if you didn't tape wings to fuse, it would separate. Later versions had screws to hold wing to fuse. Way to beat it was go inverted and do a tight spiral. Otherwise, it would take a long time to come down when your in the 1500 ft range.

Maxx

I saw one for sale a few weeks back in a canadian hobby shop . It's sold now but I think there might be others .