Not so new new guy

Jade_Monkey07

Hey everyone, Mike here. I'm glad to find a nice active forum to share some ideas with and ask some questions.
I've been flying for years but just got back into it recently with the purchase of some new toys.
I love what flight test has done for the community. Ive always loved airplanes and flight in general but I fell in love with the hobby when I was 8 or so. In the early 90s, going to air shows was my favorite part of the summer. It turned out my cousin lived next to a club field in Ontario and my first introduction to rc flight was there. I just happened to be at his house one day when they were holding a big flight fest like event. I was so enamored by all the different planes. I clearly remember the big Lancaster that had to be carried out to the field by 4 guys, the ww1 biplanes that played dogfight, the crazy flying lawn mower the epic crashes, I was hooked! Got a job helping out at a local farm and saved up for a few years when I turned 12 I picked up a used Sig Kavelier, and a new reciever and went to the local club to learn how to fly.
kavalier.jpg

Mine was grey but you get the idea. Sadly all of my old gear is gone. Life happened and the planes got destroyed in a shed collapsing. So I didnt have anything for ages.
When covid was coming around and lockdown looming I decided to order a cheapo foam rc plane and jumped on the powerup 4.0 kickstarter too.
I flew the plane a few times in the summer but it was un inspiring going from nitro planes to a dinky differential thrust plane. So it got shelved(also I broke both my legs in the spring but that's another story)
The powerup 4.0 arrived recently and I got the paper airplane bug pretty big. I'm pretty sure I made every design on the internet in a span of a week or 2. These are just the best or neatest ones I kept around for the niece and nephew to play with
USER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_MSGR_PHOTO_FOR_UPLOAD_1605380956524_6733455767476396194.jpeg

Theres so many more in a pile in the corner lol
20201116_140938.jpg

I'll post up my review of the power up soon in case anyone is curious
After a while of messing around with mini chuck gliders and the FT f22 that comes with the kit I got the foam board bug. Went out and bought a couple sheets and started building wings for the powerup.
20201110_151755.jpg

20201114_120254.jpg

I ended up gutting the other plane I had in the garage. It controls the same as the powerup but has it's own controller and it's more powerful. So now I can fly one around while one is charging.
It's still not the same a having 4 channels of control but it's pretty satisfying building something from internet photos and no measurements and having it fly really well.
I'd love to get back into this a bit deeper but my knowledge of current electric motors and battery tech is limited for now and I have space restrictions. Im currently living in my van with the girlfriend and I'm gonna have to keep it small and portable. Like balsa chuck glider disassembled small. Hence why I thought the power up would work well for me. Just a tiny box and some paper. But the more I build the foam planes the more I want to pull a trailer for all new gear haha

Well that's enough ranting for now I guess.
See you on the pages!

Jade_Monkey07

Welcome to the forums, and how did you like the kavalier? Its on my short build list
I loved it. I had a cadet and another misc high wing trainer and the kavelier was a supercar compared to them. Super well behaved and maneuverable. I think I had an OS 50 on it. Somehow the only crashes I ever had was one kartwheel when landing with zero damage and in the winter one of the stabalizers for the ski gave out and jammed up through the skin. Again no real damage.

Jade_Monkey07

A little scratch build tonight.
2020111860238image.jpg 20201118_194125.jpg 20201118_194139.jpg
I didn't make the tail as wide as the concept art and I added a pinch of sweep and dihedral so it's more stable with my crappy dif thrust setup
Glides like a dream, I'll add rc stuff in the next couple days.

mackaiver

Elite member
cool plane looks like it fly's like a dream
any problems with the design you need to address or is it flying almost to what you wanted

Jade_Monkey07

cool plane looks like it fly's like a dream
any problems with the design you need to address or is it flying almost to what you wanted
Thanks, this is flying like a dream. Considering how little control I have with just differential thrust it flew great on its maiden flight. As for the build I didnt really plan it much other than "that plane looks neat" When I built it I only had one photo of it on am angle and I didnt get everything to scale perfectly. Theres a pinch more dyhedral on my model. The rear tail leading edge is swept more on the real thing, mine is fairly straight. But other than that I'm happy. If the thrust is on at all you basically cant lose control. This is what I'll let my niece and nephew fly when they come visit

Jade_Monkey07

Tldr: this has been a good lesson in small scale wing design and the difficulty in making a stable airframe from scratch that flies well with no movable control surfaces.

The Commie Comet v1.0
Originally I found this concept on an artist's blog. The files title is Caproni Calabrone Ca-35. "La Dolce Vita"
The Goats bumblebee "the sweet life" according to google translate. Caproni Calabrone Ca-35-c final.jpg
I love the scene. Prop driven forward swept big wing. exhaust from the massive motor being funneled to an after burner of sorts. A German Horton wing going down in the background. Which is the part that bugs me. I rebranded it the commie comet since the Italians werent fighting the germans at the time of the horton 229.
In version 1.0 I made the plane tough and heavy by leaving all the paper on the foam with longer tail shafts but otherwise pretty identical. I got it as balanced as I could. I had to add a couple nickels and a dime to the nose. It had a great glide profile, nice and flat with a decent toss. Given my lack of control surfaces I was hopeful. Took it out for its maiden flight 2 nights ago loaded up with LEDs so I could see. It was quite windy out and I didnt get much flying in. I did some wind surfing and a couple turn arounds which was very promising, but then on one of the gusts it pitched up and then stalled into a nose dive straight into the ground. Breaking the foam holding the motors on and one tail shaft. The wing shape was sound but my lack of control surfaces made it impossible to stop this from happening with just thrust(weak thrust at that)

Version 1.1
That night I came inside and repaired the damage and decided to add some small horizontal stabalizers to see how much that helped in the am. Being this is basically a flying wing it doesnt really need these if there were elevons, I was sad to modify away from the source art but I didnt think I had much of a choice. This was the result.

It flew pretty well. But it had no turning authority at all and this was max power. Just couldnt get it to climb. Also hit the fence haha. More repairs.

Version 1.2
I decided to give her a complete diet, peeled all the paper off the whole plane. And shortened the tails by an inch to help with turning and balance. I also moved the horizontal stabalizers to the outside of the tail to get them out of the prop blast. To strengthen the tails I split a bbq skewer down the length and glued the two parts to the bottom of the tails from front to back. With the weight loss and tail reduction I was able to remove the dime and a nickle from the front. In total I probably saved 10 grams or so even with the wood.
Took it back out yesterday and got some decent flights in. It was lighter and far more maneuverable. The wing is now more flexible though, and fragile. One of the flights I got it doing a bit of roller coaster oscillating up and down and finally it pushed into a loop but I hesitated and backed off the throttle. It didnt finish the loop and instead was now flying inverted ...uh oh. How am I gonna flip it back?!? I gave it some gas and tried to turn and it dove uncontrollably into the ground again. This one was bad haha, the whole front end was torn off and crumpled both motor mounts failed again. Tails stayed together though!

Version 1.3
I reassembled the jigsaw puzzle of parts and added a half length and halved skewer to the bottom nose and traded the nickle for a dime and voila, it flies amazing.
20201122_142143.jpg 20201122_142209.jpg
Minimum throttle and it just floats through the air. Did some heavy turns and gave it some gas. She handles great now. Very responsive and well behaved....until... you try and do a loop haha. I managed to do a full loop by powering through it full throttle, I crashed a few more times in the same manner as before by throttling down part way though. It seems the canopy makes it a bit top heavy and enjoys being there until you do anything with the controls then it nose dives. The addition of the wood on the nose has made it sturdy enough to handle some bad crashes at least. Came out in one piece after these flights.

So this is where it currently sits. I'm trying to figure out a way to make it right itself without crazy adjustments to the vertical stabalizer. I may try giving them some dyhedral maybe it will force it to roll out a bit. But I'm not too worried about this. Honestly if i had full 4 channels of control this wouldnt be an issue at all. Just roll out or pull up while its nose diving. Other than that one scenario it's super stable and glides at 20% throttle now. Give it juice and it will do some loops and tight turns. I'm super pleased with how this turned out. I really think this thing would translate to a larger model very easily and more control surfaces would only improve its flight capabilities.

All that's left for this one is to finish the paint job and enjoy it!
I'm going to make up a good video with all the other clips I've gathered. I'll post up tonight or tomorrow.