• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

P-38 lightning Swappable

Sledge

I would be interested in seeing a scratch build of the P-38 lightning on the show. If there are any other members interested in this design please post down below.

Sledge

Its my favorite warbird. The twin booms and twin engines with cockpit in the center make it really unique. I think it should be the next twin engine swappable.

It was my Dad's favorite plane, he actually got to fly in one, although he had to crouch in a little storage space behind the pilot :rolleyes:

I wonder if ExperimentalAirlines could cook one up?

Sledge

those member built p-38s are very nice. i would just like to see a flite test build video and laser cut kit of the p-38 as well.

Also JasonEricAnderson i see you are currently building an OV-10 Bronco which is also a nice airplane.

Sledge

Its nice to see such a positive response about my favorite warbird. hopefully flitetest will see this thread and respond with a p-38 swappable kit. I'd definately be buying the laser cut kit.

cranialrectosis

Faster than a speeding faceplant!
Mentor
Try out IL 2 Sturmovik (1946 or later) if you are jonesing to fly the P-38. I still practice carrier landings with F4Us in that old sim.

A cheapo 4-axis game controller would get you pretty close, with the main difference being that you have to hold the throttle where you want it, and the fact that you have a circular range of motion for the sticks, instead of square.

I've flown sims with game controllers before, and it was a decent experience. Not wonderful, but decent.

HawkMan

i wish they'd make a flight sim based on modern video game graphic systems. that would be amazing.

Do you mean combat sim or regular sim ?

DCS is a free comobat flight sim you can get on steam, you only get to fly the SU-25T and TF51D Mustang in the free version, then you add on planes as DLC.

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/ (they don't seem to have a P38 yet though :) and yes, their DLC models are pretty expensive, almost to cost of an entire game for each in some cases :( )

there is also a new IL2 game, IL-2 Sturmovik Battle of Stalingrad. but not sure how many P38's you'll see in a game focuses on Russians and Germans ;)

for regular flight sim there's always X-Plane, and there's now two new versions of flight sim X. Dovetail will re-release the old version and develop a new. And Lockheed Martin licenses the enginer for their Prepar3D simulator

http://www.prepar3d.com/