P 40 stolen out of the back of my truck while flying

Marty72

Elite member
I have to share this story (which I still can't believe). This morning I took a Ft Spitfire and FT P 40 (w/ Rimfire 3536) to the ball field I fly at. It's a private place, with a gate (only one way out, at the end of a road), and a very nice field. I know all the folks involved with the park, today, the field manager was on the site taking care the park. I had just finished flying the P 40 and it was a bit damp due to the wet grass landing. So I put it in the bed to sun dry. I walked about 200 feet to my spot, to fly my Spitfire. After a 6 minute flight (As I do after every flight), I landed the plane and saw this white Ford explorer backing away from my truck like a bat out of hell. I wondered what that was about, as I approach my truck, I don't see the P 40. I question myself, did I put in the truck without thinking? Nope, this guy stole the plane. I told the Manager what happen and he called the Sheriff. We review the cameras and saw the whole thing. Unfortunately, no tag number could be read.
9 P 40 2.JPG

Now, I feel pretty fortunate because my loses could have been much, much worse. Unusually, I take as many planes as will fit in the truck. I also frequent the place after mountain biking. I'll take the bike ($$$) off the tail gate and lay it on the ground to allow me to use the tail gate to prepare the planes for flight. But today, I only had 4 batteries charged up, so I just took two planes and no bike. He didn't take the batteries, either.

I felt like that location was about as safer than my own driveway (cameras on site too). The Pepsi guy was in there delivering while this was going on. It's not a busy area, no one is in there during the week, just me, the field manager (riding around on a Gator). No traffic. For whatever reason, this guy drove in there and pull up behind my truck, grabbed the plane and spit.

I talked with the Deputy Sheriff and he said to call if we get a tag number but then added that even if we had it, and the video, that they won't charge him, I would have to do that (but they would help me). I've never heard of such a think. I don't know if this is a NC thing or a county issue. I want to learn more about this. I have enough live experience to know that I'll never see that plane again (along with the list of things I've had stolen over my life time) but I was very surprised by the remark, "we can't charge him, even if you get the tag number, we (police) didn't witness it. You will have to go the court house and charge him."

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
I'm sorry I was in the area and it was such a pretty plane so I just took it.
Just kidding.
That's a huge bummer, it's quite strange that the police wouldn't charge him even if he was caught. Luckily, as you said, it was only one plane. And that you didn't have your bike with you, speaking of biking, I didn't know you did mountain biking. I do mountain biking as well!!

Last edited:

Marty72

Elite member
I'm sorry I was in the area and it was such a pretty plane so I just took it.
Just kidding.
That's a huge bummer, it's quite strange that the police wouldn't charge him even if he was caught. Luckily, as you said, it was only one plane. And that you didn't have your bike with you, speaking of biking, I didn't know you did mountain biking. I do mountain biking as well!!

Losing a plane is part of the game, having someone steal it while you are flying another plane is just hard to believe. As far as the legal issue, I really don't understand, I wish I'd pushed him for more answers. It will be real hard to prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that it was him, even with a tag number. But in all honestly, it's a waste of time anyway.

Yes, I'm fairly active with Mtbing. I live near Asheville which is a mecca for this stuff. I have a down hill bike, a trail bike and a cross country hard tail. If he had stole my Yeti, I'd still be driving around looking for him.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
More then likely its someone you have met that has seen your planes and or knew where and when you fly. The likely hood of a random person driving in to a private airfield, pulling up, deciding to steal a plane and leave are slim. That worked out a little too perfect. I would take a copy of that video to the closest gas station , store, even private houses near the road to the field are that have known camera surveillance. Maybe you could get lucky and find some sympathy and they can check their recordings. You know the exact time it was taken so not much random searching of video to check.

Bricks

Master member
I absolutely hate thieves and vandals, it has happened to me living in the country someone drove in and swiped everything out of my boat.

Look on the bright side they thought it was worth enough to steal. I would keep an eye on facebook and any other places that they could list it for sale.

Police do not charge a person unless they are the ones that witness and capture the pervert, in this type of situation you would be the one having to file charges.

tesseract

Master member
feel sad for you bro :(
by brother steals stuff from me all the time (like my birthday presents which are pretty insane) so i know how you feel
:cry:

"Corpse"

Legendary member
I have to share this story (which I still can't believe). This morning I took a Ft Spitfire and FT P 40 (w/ Rimfire 3536) to the ball field I fly at. It's a private place, with a gate (only one way out, at the end of a road), and a very nice field. I know all the folks involved with the park, today, the field manager was on the site taking care the park. I had just finished flying the P 40 and it was a bit damp due to the wet grass landing. So I put it in the bed to sun dry. I walked about 200 feet to my spot, to fly my Spitfire. After a 6 minute flight (As I do after every flight), I landed the plane and saw this white Ford explorer backing away from my truck like a bat out of hell. I wondered what that was about, as I approach my truck, I don't see the P 40. I question myself, did I put in the truck without thinking? Nope, this guy stole the plane. I told the Manager what happen and he called the Sheriff. We review the cameras and saw the whole thing. Unfortunately, no tag number could be read. View attachment 181485

Now, I feel pretty fortunate because my loses could have been much, much worse. Unusually, I take as many planes as will fit in the truck. I also frequent the place after mountain biking. I'll take the bike ($$$) off the tail gate and lay it on the ground to allow me to use the tail gate to prepare the planes for flight. But today, I only had 4 batteries charged up, so I just took two planes and no bike. He didn't take the batteries, either.

I felt like that location was about as safer than my own driveway (cameras on site too). The Pepsi guy was in there delivering while this was going on. It's not a busy area, no one is in there during the week, just me, the field manager (riding around on a Gator). No traffic. For whatever reason, this guy drove in there and pull up behind my truck, grabbed the plane and spit.

I talked with the Deputy Sheriff and he said to call if we get a tag number but then added that even if we had it, and the video, that they won't charge him, I would have to do that (but they would help me). I've never heard of such a think. I don't know if this is a NC thing or a county issue. I want to learn more about this. I have enough live experience to know that I'll never see that plane again (along with the list of things I've had stolen over my life time) but I was very surprised by the remark, "we can't charge him, even if you get the tag number, we (police) didn't witness it. You will have to go the court house and charge him."
If you could find his car, maybe you could pull off a civilian arrest. Just a thought...

BTW I'm a mountain biker too! What bike do ya' have?

SlingShot

Maneuvering With Purpose

I know this doesn't make you feel better, but I'm pretty sure I know why the procedure is as it is: Police generally can't arrest people for misdemeanors that they don't themselves witness. You need the "complaining witness".

Marty72

Elite member
Sorry, I've been doing other things today and just checked the forum. Wow, a lot of comments. I appreciate all the suggestions and well wishing.

I have a Yeti SB 45, YT Tues (DH bike) and an Motobecane Ti hardtail 29.

Unfortunately, as luck would have it, that plane was sort of my test bed plane, so I had my best stuff on it. I had a 6 channel receiver and a 60 amp esc, the Rimfire, ect. Was this needed, no, but I was using this plane to test different batteries and props.

I'm not sure I should have even mentioned the theft, as I certainly see no reason to dwell on it. It's a pretty minor incident that could of been a hell of a lot worse. As said before, I hardly had any planes with me, and didn't bring the bike (oh how glad I am of that!). The reason I mentioned it was it was just so unbelievable to me. I'm pretty cautious, all my bikes are locked in my garage (in case I forget to close the garage door, backup). My motorcycle is chained to a pole in the garage. I have a locked in the truck bed for the bike incase I need to make a quick stop. I just didn't think this was even a possibility with me being right there and the configuration of the lot and the field. I was wrong and I had to pay a little stupid tax because of it.

It also makes a good story, almost as good as Battleaxe leaving a plane on top of wife's car, next morning she drove off to work . The plane or any remnants of it, never to be seen again.

Building my 4th Ft Spitfire tonight, to replace the Spit I crashed on Tuesday due to accidently over G-ing the wings and breaking them in two. It made for a specular crash, which was even more exciting due to the height at the moment of failure. After I finish, I'll build a replacement P 40. I really like the look of the P 40, not an exciting flier but it has a presence.