• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Paint Makes A Difference

KJ4DCE

I lightly spray painted the wing tips on my FT Mini Trainer to help with visibility. This was a very light single coat and didn't think it would effect the center of gravity. However once the paint had dried and place the battery on the mark I had made before painting, I observed a good bit more "nose down".

Is this common when applying paint?

FDS

Did you remove the wings to paint them? If so it would be most likely that you put them on in a slightly different position after paint, or that they moved whilst being painted if you left them in situ.
Even a full covering of paint will not weigh more than a few grams. Paint thickness is usually measured in microns. The balance point is not that sensitive.
The TT does usually have a slightly nose heavy tendency, due to its double thick modular design.

Merv

I agree with @FDS, the paint didn’t change your CG, I would looks for another cause. That is why you should always check CG before takeoff, to see if something changed.

KJ4DCE

Ok, thanks for the help.

Yes I did remove the wing in order to paint it. However I had mark both the forward and aft in order to ensure it was located it in the same place.

I did find that with the more nose down CG that the plane flew better. So this afternoon i flew it on a more windy day. Same battery location, same wing location, same little nose down balance point. I was able to fly the Tiny Trainer with more controlled turn.

I guess I'm finding what suits my flying style.

Again thank you for your help. This forum has helped me out tons.

FDS

On windy days you get free airspeed into the wind, which can help a lot with takeoff and landing.
Another neat trick is to put a 1mm or so shim in the front of the wing, between it and the fuselage, to give the wing a little incidence, @Hai-Lee taughtbme that trick and my TT flies better with it. I used a bit of Velcro for that, which also helped locate the wing.