pc questions for Phoenix 5

Freaky_1

old headcase
Hidy,

I've just recently purchased Phoenix 5 and I'm having some difficulties with my system not being up to the task.

First let me clarify that I know little of Windows past 3.1
I know less of mac.
I'm a penguin user who's happy to have all my systems on antiquated cuts of the debian kernel. Most chopped up redhat.

Ok so we need a windows pc. No big deal, I've got a few modern machines to replace some of my older ones (not the amd k5, I gotta see how much longer it has). By now you should see how out of touch I am.

I have Phoenix 5 running on a vista system, but it's not happy. Upgrading the video card would help greatly, but it's time to give in and look to running a system specific to Phoenix. Hope to eventually have it setup in the bus anyway.

Soooooooo. My hopes are to use a case and power supply that I already have and build something for the simulator. .. OR... perhaps there's a cheap system out there that would do the job well and end up being cheaper than components?

Basically, we're trying to build a local community around the hobby and my budget is blown, so cheap is me.

Any suggestions to one side or the other?

Frank

Kurt0326

Your ADD Care Bear
Mentor
If you can tell me what your computer is or it's specs, I can help. What is your processor, mother board, ram, graphics card, esc. Then I can narrow down what you need to upgrade.

Freaky_1

old headcase
Oh sorry,

Not looking to upgrade. Looking to start fresh with something intended for flight simulator and nothing else. Only recycle plans are case and power supply if building rather than buying. This machine's only purpose will be for teaching rc flight.

Thanks,
Frank

Dumpster Jedi

The One Who Speaks
A basic budget box ($300-400 off the shelf) with a $50 GPU would do it fine. The GPU card I've got in mine is at least three years outdated and runs P5 with all settings maxed at 60fps.

Pretty much any modern dual or quad core system will have more than enough processing power, but even if the integrated graphics are up to snuff I'd still suggest running a dedicated card to reduce the heat load on the motherboard when running the sim. Long story short, you really don't need anything fancy, just modern.

Freaky_1

old headcase
Many thanks!

Just need to sell a scoot for cheap and I'm set!
Awesome, who wants a 800 goldwing? i'll pop it in the paper Monday.

Frank

MTL_Greg

Recently, I tried Phoenix and Clearview with the on-chip graphics on a new gen Intel quad core (i5-4670k).
My aim was to build a 100% quiet PC.

Although on-chip graphics have progressed enormously in the past few years, the framerate was nowhere near acceptable.

Current sims require a midrange dedicated graphics card. So I added an old Gtx570 and what a difference:
1920x1200 with all options maxed out, and a framerate well over the monitor refresh of 60 frames per second.
Silky smooth. I'll have to live with minimal fan noise to get proper performance in the sim. Ok.

Go with tom´s bang for the buck recommendations:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-review,3107-2.html