Peck Polymers P-51 Mustang Build Log

TexMechsRobot

Posted a thousand or more times
I got all of the surfaces covered with Esaki tissue and did the shrinking with 50% isopropyl. These pictures were taken after that. I weighed it and it comes in at about 6g. My kitchen scale doesn't have any decimals for grams so I can't be very precise there. I'll upgrade one day :)

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

I then sealed the whole thing with Krylon matter spray and let that dry for about a day. Then I sprayed on the Model Masters chrome. I think it looks fantastic. I had to put a little more on than would be normal for competitive flying but it was worth it to get that nice, metal sheen. I've been letting it cure and will then begin masking off the colored areas so that I can add the necessary details.

TexMechsRobot

Let's just say they the metal paint didn't take too well. It dried beautifully but as soon as I tried masking stuff off (after about 3 days of drying), it peeled right up. Then, as I tried to clear some space on my desk to work on fixing it, I dropped a 1-2-3 block right on the middle of the cockpit smashing the fuselage and center of the wing.

So this project is done.

Luckily, these things are very quick for me so I had almost no sadness over it. I just threw it all away and am looking forward to the next project!

In other bad news, the house stuff isn't going to happen right now for various reasons. This means that I will have the time and space to put that build video together. I built a rig to hold my phone above my work space so as soon as the kit arrives (no shipping notification just yet) then I'll get started. I'll put up another thread with updates and pictures and then upload the build video at the end.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Ouch!!

I've also heard from many that metallic paints are some of the hardest to work with - overspraying with a clear latex based paint before masking for the next layer might help.

In the meantime, I'll be following the Taylor Cub build next :)

TexMechsRobot

Yep. Alternatively, I could have sprayed all of the color and masked that off and then sprayed the metal. I was trying to keep the weight down as much as possible so decided not to seal the metal with another coat. In honesty, painting tissue planes adds too much weight for them to remain competitive in flight. I just wanted it to look pretty though :)

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Oh yeah - I get it. :)

This mindset is how I ended up with my first car having a nice DIY multi-color paint job with a two tone cloth and leather interior (and a fantastic stereo), but a top speed of 60mph and the engine stalling out at long stop lights. :black_eyed:

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
Oh nooo, that is frustrating. I almost damaged my wing with one of my solid 123 blocks yesterday, I just barley caught it as it fell off the shelf...

TexMechsRobot

Seeing as how it's a crumpled pile of twigs, I think not lol.

But maybe a future project. Stick around and I could use your help picking out a power plant and servos.