Piper Cub or Super Cub

alan0043

Hi Everyone,

I would like to know if Flight Test has any plans to make a speed build kit for a Piper Cub or Super Cub or J3 Cub ? Something with about a 40" wing. It would be nice to see a Cub in a speed build kit.

Al

alan0043

Have you built and flown their Storch?

No I have not. Is it a good plane to start with ? I am new to the hobby. I understand that a plane that has a wing over head is a better choice of plane to start out with. You hear about a lot of people that their first plane was a Cub. I guess that is one reason that I would like to build a Cub.

mrwzrd59

Old Guy Geek
The FT Storch will fly better than any cub ever hoped to! Cubs, while plentiful and well know have not had such a good time when converting/scaling them down to "model" size. They have tip stall issues and really fly best if you have mastered the use of a rudder for coordinated turns. That being said, I hear that the Sport Cub S from E-Flite is one great airplane and most any novice can fly them straight from the box. My guess is that they were highly developed after they were scaled down from full size and scrubbed of all the nasty moves.
I have a couple of the Carbon Z cubs and even though they look great and that huge wing (85" span) gives you confidence that it will fly easily, they will bite you if you don't concentrate on your slow or even medium speed turns and fall right out of the sky! Boom!
I have seen it done a few too many times! Build yourself a FT Storch and it will fly slow, fast or anything in between while you get the hang of it. That is one very rewarding plane as your skills get sharp and will do some really fun maneuvers without risking a lot of $$$!

dgrigor02

I agree if your limiting to just speed build, the storch is close enough.

After you have build a couple of speed builds to get the assembly techniques down, you should be ready for a scratch building. Printing out and cutting your own pieces take a bit more time but is not hard or complicated. There is a pretty nice, easy to build Community plans for the J3 that would make the perfect first scratch build.

http://flitetest.com/articles/bj-j3-cub-swappable-plans-build-instructions

There is an even nicer build of a cessna that is a bit more advanced than the J3 so I probably would not recommend it over the J3 for a first scratch build:

http://forum.flitetest.com/showthre...ot-inch-wing-span/page14&highlight=Cessna+180

Pancho

As others have said...the Storch is very Cub-ish in looks, but a better flyer. My son has an HZ SuperCub that came with ACT (always crash technology). As others have said...tip stalls can bite you, especially turning right when you turn against the torque...it will just fall out of the sky! They also needed speed for landings.

I just put a Storch wing on the SuperCub over thanksgiving and the plane flies better than ever! I barely even had to modify it to fit - just a notch on the back edge where it sits on the fuse. The thing just hangs in the air so well, and even handles the wind better. Landings were non-eventful...it just floated down so nicely. Take offs are hillarious...after we trimmed it, you could pretty much take of and land with no hands. The wing has no flaps or ailerons as the cub is only 3 channels. So, you could set the Storch up as a 3 channel for super basic operation.

The landing gear is kind of crazy on the storch. You could put the bushwacher landing gear on the storch and that would actually make it look even more cub-ish.

Has anyone tried a Bushwacker with dihedral? If so, I think that it would make a fantastic first plane.

Personally, I learned on the Parkzone Stinson SR-10. I thought that it would be a good starter plane due to the high-wing configuration and flaps. But oh no, that thing is a beast! Slow down to just under cruising speed, and she goes BAM! Tipstall! Fortunately, I had a flight instructor who helped me out a lot.

That actually brings up a good point: join an AMA club and get an instructor!

Good luck with getting into this wonderful hobby. Have fun!

Last edited:

Pancho

Has anyone tried a Bushwacker with dihedral? If so, I think that it would make a fantastic first plane.

I actually thought the exact same thing....a Bushwacker with dihedral. But I haven't built or flown one, so I didn't want to suggest something I had no experience with. It looks like the control surfaces are pretty big, so reduced rates would be needed too. The wing span is 45" which is near what the op was looking for.

shawnstradamus

Are you thinking of making a Bushwacker 3 channel? Watching the video I think a good amount of dihedral would work, the rudder an elevator seem big enough. Might be a fun experiment. I actually considered using a mini guinea wing set up with a bushwacker body and mixing aileron, rudder and prop. Might take some tweaking but I think it would be a blast.

But OP, Alan... are you looking for a nice normal flight, or more aerobatic stuff? The 'wacker is definitely a more advanced-friendly type flyer.

alan0043

"But OP, Alan... are you looking for a nice normal flight, or more aerobatic stuff? The 'wacker is definitely a more advanced-friendly type flyer. "

This is going to be one of my first planes. I am just starting to get into the hobby. I also would like to get my grandson's into the hobby also. Right now I think a nice normal flight would work out good for me right now.

It would be nice to see a Bushwacker with dihedral. I think the plane would start to look like a Cub. If you do this mod could you post your results in a new thread. I have a feeling that some other people might like to see this mod.

Good luck with your idea,
Al

Pancho

"But OP, Alan... are you looking for a nice normal flight, or more aerobatic stuff? The 'wacker is definitely a more advanced-friendly type flyer. "

This is going to be one of my first planes. I am just starting to get into the hobby. I also would like to get my grandson's into the hobby also. Right now I think a nice normal flight would work out good for me right now.

It would be nice to see a Bushwacker with dihedral. I think the plane would start to look like a Cub. If you do this mod could you post your results in a new thread. I have a feeling that some other people might like to see this mod.

Good luck with your idea,
Al

Al, the dihedral "mod" is easy enough. Just watch the video for building the wing on the storch, and when they get to the dihedral, just do the same thing. You can download the storch plans to make a dihedral gage, or you can use a roll of packaging tape layed on its side. You just need something the hold the wing while the glue cools.

Now if you wanted to put polyhedral into a wing, that is a little different and requires you to match both sides of the wing. But dihedral on its own is a simple enough mod.