PLA-LW printing

Keno

Question: Does anybody know how to reduce the stringing that is associated with PLA-LW? I have tried many methods and printer setting without any acceptable success. The only method I found that produced almost clear results was to lower the nozzle temp to 220c. At 220c you are getting close to just using PLA and forget about the LW. When you increase temp, the stringing become weight and to remove it inside of a wing is difficult. I have tried various retraction setting but never satisfied with the results. I am presently printing a combat mustang using Labprint Polyair with thin wall settings to reduce weight. Prints look great so far as advertised

w1lp33

You cannot get rid of the stringing entirely. It will always be stringy. Even the manufacturer points out that you cannot entirely stop stringing.
But given that lw-pla is like 40% of the weight of regular pla, the additional weight of strings is going to be so minimal as to not be worth worrying about.

just clean up the strings from the part people can see and don’t worry about the rest :)

LitterBug

Techno Nut
The only way to get rid of LW-PLA stringing is to design and slice parts in a way that each layer is a single continous path for the extruder. Eclipson and others have been working on this with their latest designs so there is no retraction.

Keno

The only way to get rid of LW-PLA stringing is to design and slice parts in a way that each layer is a single continous path for the extruder. Eclipson and others have been working on this with their latest designs so there is no retraction.
Yes this is not a bad suggestion as Vase printing is the way to go If the designers move in this direction it would be great. As you increase nozzel temp for filament expansion your outter layer become more course and a lot of sanding is then reqired. Oh we will just have to live with it for the weight reduction. Thanks guys

Keno

Yes this is not a bad suggestion as Vase printing is the way to go If the designers move in this direction it would be great. As you increase nozzel temp for filament expansion your outter layer become more course and a lot of sanding is then reqired. I guess we will just have to live with it for the weight reduction. Thanks guys

jpot1

Elite member
@Keno check out Lockey on rcgroups. He’s got a few LW-PLA designs all in vase mode. They print really well.

B0C0E320-860A-428E-814F-E673FF566652.jpeg

Keno

Looks great, I hope more are disigned with the vase in mind. I am now using Cura 4.9 and it is working great with little stringing and a pretty smooth finish. I been doing a lot study on the LW PLA print and now have a better undstanding. Still a lot to learn...
Tks Ken

Last edited: