Plane Retrieval

Heli-Yeah!

Gremlin on the Wing
I did a $60 ReTreeval today, 2 nitro planes in the very top of one of the tallest trees in that area. The guys that got them up there had lost the first one to the tree (I think a couple of weeks before), and tried with no success to dislodge it with walnuts, potato gun, bones tied to string (don't ask), and a very, very long pole, then someone got the idea to fly a string over the tree to provide a shake line, with another plane.... Like I said, I rescued 2 planes.

But thats not all, after the first two were hung, they sent a foam plane (Lightflight Bug) up with a string and...........
Well the Bug had blow down by the time I showed up today, but the big boys where still hangin' in there.

It took a little longer than I thought it might, as I ran into a couple of snags. First off my climbing line is 120' long, and after I had set it in the fork up near the models, one end was still about 20, to 25 feet from reaching the ground (that means 70' to 75' tree), so I had to install it lower, then climb, and reset it up higher. Next there was a large fault in the narrow trunk about 10' below where the planes were, so I could not climb above that point in good confidence that the tree would not break. Luckily I had a pole with me for my "Bigshot" (8' sling shot), and was able to noose they from that distance, and lower them to safely.

ananas1301

Crazy flyer/crasher :D
Cool, what an adventure!

I once nearly climed a very tall tree but unfurtunately by mum was there as well, so she nearly started crying as it seemed for her that I could die.

mikey

Crash Test Foamy
I lodged my Funjet (now known as Dumbjet) up a 40m tree with no lower branches. Tried a couple of different methods:

1. Throw rocks at it - FAIL
2. Try and reach it with rope - FAIL
3. Climb tree - didn't want to die - FAIL
4. Buy large RC helicopter and put my son in it - not enough funds, plus I only have one son - no backup spawn - FAIL
5. Buy many lengths of PVC pipe and joiners - too much flex in pipes when you join that many together - FAIL
6. Slingshot and rope combo
6a. Brought out trusty slingshot and steel ball bearings that I use for pesky cats and noisy "faaaarrrrrrk" crows
6b. Thread heavy duty fishing line around sizeable fishing sinker
6c. Fire!
6d. Fishing line went around correct branch
6e. Tie light weight rope line to the end of the fishing line and pull it over branch
6f. Tie medium rope line to light weight rope and pull oner branch
6g. Pull, jiggle, hang off rope till plane comes loose or branch snaps,
6h. SUCCESS!!!!! :)

Last edited:

CanDib

Loved the shotgun approach!!

I live in Georgia...and we have some H-U-G-E pine trees down here. The only plane I've lost to a tree (knock on wood :p ) was my trainer that I was trying to teach my wife to fly with (radio passed back and forth, no buddy-box). She planted it about 75 feet in the air. I took three(3) weeks and two(2) storms before it finally came down, and someone else got to it first. Never saw it again.

Pilot-294

just had this problem with my ultra micro 300.

got it down with a steal steak and a few "words" haha. tried to climb up to it to shake it down but i just didn't trust the thin branches it was on... lol

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
Did an indoor recovery yesterday. My son parked the Champ on the top of the raised backboard. Here's the video.

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
The Champ is indeed a Champ and no worse for wear. Not a scratch after all of that. Great plane for my boy to be learning on. This summer he'll move up to a big Cub and then when he's ready we'll slip my aileron wing on it for him.

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
Like this?

IMAG0539.jpg

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
My son gets credit for that one as well. He was well past half court so I'm going to say a three pointer.

TimmyTooTall

Just parked a Bixler in a 75 ft tree yesterday. Luckily my wife's brother is big into rock climbing. Scaled the tree no problem and got it down. One question, the battery spent the night up in the tree plugged in. Think it's OK to try and recharge?

nibnobsam

I like big leccy planes
Mentor
Just parked a Bixler in a 75 ft tree yesterday. Luckily my wife's brother is big into rock climbing. Scaled the tree no problem and got it down. One question, the battery spent the night up in the tree plugged in. Think it's OK to try and recharge?

Check the voltage first. If any of the cells are below 3v then I would get rid of it

jetpackninja

More combat please...
Mentor
You may be able to bring it back but there are risks involved.
Only try it if you understand and are aware of the risks, and are willing to take precautions in case things go badly.
What kind of charger do you have?
If it is salvageable, it'll never be as good as it was.

SkySlayer

ARC=Almost Ready to Crash
I lodged my Funjet (now known as Dumbjet) up a 40m tree with no lower branches. Tried a couple of different methods:

1. Throw rocks at it - FAIL
2. Try and reach it with rope - FAIL
3. Climb tree - didn't want to die - FAIL
4. Buy large RC helicopter and put my son in it - not enough funds, plus I only have one son - no backup spawn - FAIL
5. Buy many lengths of PVC pipe and joiners - too much flex in pipes when you join that many together - FAIL
6. Slingshot and rope combo
6a. Brought out trusty slingshot and steel ball bearings that I use for pesky cats and noisy "faaaarrrrrrk" crows
6b. Thread heavy duty fishing line around sizeable fishing sinker
6c. Fire!
6d. Fishing line went around correct branch
6e. Tie light weight rope line to the end of the fishing line and pull it over branch
6f. Tie medium rope line to light weight rope and pull oner branch
6g. Pull, jiggle, hang off rope till plane comes loose or branch snaps,
6h. SUCCESS!!!!! :)
Hold on you Failed at wanting to survive? And u could have another kid(u just need to wait about 1 year)

coffeebean56

I did my Bixler maiden at work, on the clock, on our closed Golf Course and STILL found a tree to put it in! 60 feet up. Had to go back to the shop for an extension ladder and the 30 foot pole we put up Christmas lights with. The pole has a hook on the end, managed to knock off the rudder. It floated down to where I was on the ladder where I grabbed it out of mid-air. Took an hour and a stiff neck to get it down. Prop gone, rudder in my pocket and the carbon wing stiffener snapped. Otherwise just fine...

IamNabil

photo.JPG
I had a plane in a river. It got caught in a beaver dam, and we beat it with a pole for an hour... :)
Two of the servos died, but surprisingly, the battery actually seems fine. It charges fine, flight times are the same, and it doesn't catch fire while charging.