Please recommend gear for HMB-235

bitogre

I recently won a HMB-235 and now need to get other parts for building it up. I am not into racing and plan on using it for getting air-to-air videos (like what FliteTest uses in their plain review videos) and possibly for AirBears missions. I am planning on using a RunCam Split for the camera. Here are the features I am looking for in the different components I would like recommendations on:

Flight Controller:
  • F4 based Flight Controller
  • Built In OSD to display HAM handle and adjust tuning in the field
  • 3 free serial ports to connect to SBus and Smart Port telemetry on FrSky XSR or X4R-SB receiver and control over the RunCam Split
Power Distribution Board:
  • Can be built into Flight Controller
  • Current Sensor
  • at least 1.5A 5V power for FC and RunCam
ESC, Motors, and Props:
  • 3S and 4S
  • Maximum efficiency for longest possible flight times (do not need to be fast or agile)
Thanks for your help.

Last edited:

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
KISS flight controllers are small easy to work with. Not F4 (not sure why you specifiy F4) and can be tuned thru telemetry using LUA scripts in the Taranis radios very easily in the field.

Matek HUBOSD eco has built in osd, dual bec's for 5 and 12 v and a 140 amp current sensor.

Any CCD camera for FPV allows the ability to show your handle full time as well as spam a HAM call sign at set intervals. CMOS cameras however do not have that function.

As for motors and esc's they will be VERY different for the two specific purposes you want to use it for. As a chase plane you want it set up like a freestyle / race quad. Not very power efficient.

For the Care Bear thing you want more of phantom / Aerial photography set up and this frame is not a good base for that. That will give less agility and more stability of flight for surveillance and or S.A.R. or general videography. This will also be using much larger props and lower kv motors to carry heavier payloads of specialized cameras used in longer range longer endurance flights.

Basically they would be two totally different machines.

bitogre

KISS flight controllers are small easy to work with. Not F4 (not sure why you specifiy F4) and can be tuned thru telemetry using LUA scripts in the Taranis radios very easily in the field.

Matek HUBOSD eco has built in osd, dual bec's for 5 and 12 v and a 140 amp current sensor.

I specified F4 Flight Controllers as I am not aware of any F3 that have enough serial ports to handle OSD (new item that needs serial port with your suggest FC/PDB), SBus, S.Port, and RunCam Split control. I also forgot to mention I want to control the OSD from inside BetaFlight (but kind of assume that was given as I stated I wanted the OSD to "adjust tuning in the field"). As far as I know, this is not possible on F3 Flight Controllers and I have not seen a non-BetaFlight OSD solution I like.

Also, does the KISS FC firmware support controlling the RunCam Split? I know this is a new feature of BetaFlight and CleanFlight.

Any CCD camera for FPV allows the ability to show your handle full time as well as spam a HAM call sign at set intervals. CMOS cameras however do not have that function.

Why would I want to use a separate FPV camera from the RunCam Split? The RunCam Split has a 50ms latency for its FPV output and near FPV camera form factor + additional board in FC stack.

As for motors and esc's they will be VERY different for the two specific purposes you want to use it for. As a chase plane you want it set up like a freestyle / race quad. Not very power efficient.

Why do I want a freestyle / race quad setup for chasing planes? I am not trying to do flips or other such maneuvers that need extreme rates. The only reason I can think of is for speed to keep up with the planes.

For the Care Bear thing you want more of phantom / Aerial photography set up and this frame is not a good base for that. That will give less agility and more stability of flight for surveillance and or S.A.R. or general videography. This will also be using much larger props and lower kv motors to carry heavier payloads of specialized cameras used in longer range longer endurance flights.

Basically they would be two totally different machines.

That is not the impression I got from talking to the AirBears rep at FliteFest. Yes, DJI Phantom might be better but he indicated that anything with a camera can often work (especially if it has HD recording capabilities). Yes, it will not be as good as something bigger but it is better than nothing. Also, this is a secondary purpose (aka stretch goal). If I do help with AirBears, I am more likely to use my planes and would only use this in places where VTOL capability was required (though also looking at getting a E-Flite Convergence).

Last edited:

bitogre

I am currently looking at 3 possible Flight Controllers and PDBs. Does any one have opinions on these options?

1. BrianFPV RE1 & mPB V2 - This seems a bit old and one of the earlier F4 OSD FCs but it seems to be the most supported and the easiest to solder up (no hacks and all through hole solder pads).
  2. Lumenier F4 AIO - I like that it is a combined PDB and FC but it looks like soldering on the RX connections is going to be tricky as it is just small pads in the middle of the board.
  3. Matek Systems F405-AIO - Nice single board solution like the Lumenier but does not have inverter for S.Port telemetry. Either will need to use Soft Serial or inverter hack to hook up S.Port telemetry.
I am still open to other suggestions.

Last edited:

bitogre

A friend just pointed out another option, the FrSky XSRF4PO which looks like a good option though it looks like I would have to have a separate BEC for powering the RunCam Split but it does eliminate needing to have separate receiver. The odd size should not be a problem for the HMB-235 frame.

ElectriSean

Eternal Student
Mentor
One of the main problems with F4 boards is that they usually only have 1 hardware inverter (I don't know of any with 2) so you're stuck doing the telemetry hack regardless. F3 boards are able to do this in software

Check out the Omnibus F4, I think it ticks all your boxes. That FrSky one would probably work well too if you can squeeze it in.

bitogre

One of the main problems with F4 boards is that they usually only have 1 hardware inverter (I don't know of any with 2) so you're stuck doing the telemetry hack regardless. F3 boards are able to do this in software

Check out the Omnibus F4, I think it ticks all your boxes. That FrSky one would probably work well too if you can squeeze it in.

The BrainFPV RE1 definitely has two inverters (specifically called out in both "Receiver support" and "Telemetry Support" of its specifications). This definitely makes me lean towards the BrainFPV RE1 or the FrSky XSRF4PO.

If I were to go with the Omnibus F4, what PDB would you use? Would you just not have a current sensor (which I get with both BrainFPV RE1 and the FrSky XSRF4PO)?

ElectriSean

Eternal Student
Mentor
The Omnibus has a current sensor, but strangely no PDB. Hmm, there's always something... I haven't looked closely at the Brain, I will check that out as well. My experience with F4's has been pretty bad so far, (micro Lux :p) so I tend to avoid them if I can.