Poor FPV morals in my opinion.

Merrixs

I was going to place this in Behind the Field Shed, but I am unable to access it at the moment.

I have been watching some Joe Nall 2015 videos the last few days, and come across one that I must speak about. It is entitled "Joe Nall 2015 FPV Rebels". I was a bit apprehensive about watching it simply because of the title. My gut feeling did not let me down.

Video starts off with some quad proximity flying in what looks to be a more remote part of the grounds. Ok, even if you are not supposed to be flying there or with FPV, no harm done. What made me upset and ended up making me not finish the video was when the pilot took off toward people. Flying low and fast down a roadway of sorts and passing people that could have spit on the multi rotor. The one person walking even threw his hat at the quad on it's second pass, and rightfully so in my opinion. The tone of the video and the posters comments are of the I am better than you old fogeys mentality. Even mentioning something about an accident involving a person not being a big deal since it is such a small lightweight multi rotor. Any incident involving a RC and a person is a very big deal. On top of all this, it looks like the person I am assuming is the pilot is wearing a flitetest neck strap.

I hope to get in to FPVing a tricopter in the near future. I just hope this sort of thing does not ruin it before I am able to do so. I am getting off my soap box. It is open if someone else wants to step up.

razor02097

Rogue Drone Pilot
To save people from searching I am assuming it is this video... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3fnXaL-T6k

I'm not sure what having a flitetest neck strap really has to do with what he was doing. I think zipping around in the trees was okay but I agree hauling ass down a road with traffic and pedestrians isn't a good idea. I don't like to fly around vehicles or over people. There are way too many things that could go wrong.

There is a off road park called Haspin Acres with a speed limit on the road. It applies to EVERY vehicle. Anyone exceeding the limit gets in trouble. Maybe officials could do that? I don't have a problem with people flying multirotors around people so long as they aren't being irresponsible about it. If he was just cruising along at 10-15mph that would be one thing but he was probably going double or triple that which isn't smart.

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
I saw that video. As impressive as his flying was, I cringed when I saw him flying so low, close and fast near people. The flitetest connection is only that he's clearly a fan, but unfortunately, might taint the reputation for flitetest only by association. Did you see him orbit Peters giant cargo plane in the air? That was great footage, but someone who didn't know any better might associate him with FT.

PHugger

Church Meal Expert
In the YT comments he talks about hanging out with the FT crew.
He admits to flying irresponsibly, but blew it off, "people are gonna do what they do".
A bit immature if anything.

Best regards,
PCH

Balu

Lurker
Staff member
Admin
"People are gonna do what they do"? What event or AMA officials are gonna do is to not allow him to attend the next Joe Nall and perhaps other events if they learn about this attitude... and him endangering other people.

I'm all for pushing the limits a little and sometimes even ignoring a rule or two, but you NEVER put other people in danger.

Multirotor pilots already have a very bad reputation with the rest of the RC pilots. Doing stunts like this will just make it worse.

Too bad I can't watch the video or comment, because Youtube doesn't allow me to watch it because of the music he used.

TheEntraP3

Don't Touch ANYTHING!
I started watching the video and he's a pretty good quad pilot, but once he flew over that golf cart, I was done. He is an amazing pilot but is being stupid and is going to ruin the fun of quads for everyone. I don't want to be extreme about this, but this is why the FAA is trying to pass that interpretive law: because of idiots like this guy. I don't understand why he would risk others' safety just to have some fun and to get some good footage.

rcspaceflight

creator of virtual planes
I signed into YouTube just so I could give him a thumbs down. Which is actually a feature on YouTube I've never used before.

TheEntraP3

Don't Touch ANYTHING!
I signed into YouTube just so I could give him a thumbs down. Which is actually a feature on YouTube I've never used before.

Right when I saw the part I mentioned in my first comment in this thread, I did what I always do when I encounter a horrible video: Thumbs down, Read the comment section, maybe bust the uploader a new one.

themajik1

Monkey/Bear Poker
Mentor
I watched the video as well. I am in agreement that he appears to be a good pilot skills wise, but very irresponsible as a RC pilot. The last thing I want to see is someone get hurt and in turn hurt the hobby that I am really in love with.

I also saw him flying close to the full scale aircraft that was parked at the end of that road. The AMA would not have covered anything as far as hitting the people, plane, or other vehicles at that event, because he was flying recklessly. Not only that, but the rules of the event stated no FPV flying. I hope that he gets banned from any future AMA event and if he is an AMA member, he gets his membership revoked.

We all want to have fun, but come on... Let's try and do it safely and within the rules.

Remember, it only takes one bad apple...

jamboree1

It doesn't matter how good a pilot someone is they will make a mistake eventually. Even a little nano quad can take out an eye. Another issue I see with this is that the masses will lump this into anything that is RC controlled. Common sense goes a long way, to bad it's not something that can be learned in school.

For all the comments about his supposed good piloting skills, I say bollocks! Piloting is not just stick and rudder control skills -- piloting is first and foremost about judgement (which is clearly lacking).

I've said it before: A superior pilot is one who uses superior judgement to avoid situations that require superior skills.

TheEntraP3

Don't Touch ANYTHING!
I've noticed that a lot of the YouTube comments praise him. Which is disappointing.

I know. It's sad that people actually think that what he is doing is good. It may look cool, but c'mon, what he did is just plain stupid and irresponsible. We might as well go ahead and throw away our FPV systems and possibly our quads because some FAA official might see this and use it to get the Interpretive Rule passed.

Timmy P

Cringe worthy!! dang. He has great control of his craft but just flies like an idiot. Flying way to close to people, creating sketchy situations. He's just a total show off.. And I get it. I do stunts on motorcycles. Its a craft I've mastered and want everyone to see........ But I know it puts others at risk and I'm the type that could never let myself down if I hurt someone while being reckless..So I don't do it on the streets. I left him a comment like this.

"Amazing pilot. Total jacka**.. Like wt*. Ever had them little 5.3 props hit your skin? Its a razor blade. I know for a fact that quad does more damage than a chainsaw. To think its not able to disfigure somebody is silly.. Im a stunt rider. Yea doing shows in parking lots gets boring, but you wont see me stunt on the streets.. Its absolutely selfish and complete negligence putting a bystander at risk.. At Joe Nall People go out there to relax and watch planes. (Planes that are most likely flying in a flying zone.) not get buzzed by 40 mile an hour chainsaw you didn't see coming. Put your self in other peoples shoes.. leave them alone.. fly away from people.. I also fly 250s. but safety is #1. glitches happen. People plug in transmitters without checking channels. It comes down to: S*** happens. But let it be the dirt that gets s*** on."

I dont know.. maybe that will put it into perspective. Showing off is selfish if its around bystandards that dont have assumption of risk.
And just because your skilled doesn't mean something wont fail and cause a mishap. Been there, crashed that lol

I keep seeing him post " Its just 1.3 pounds. Whats the big deal?" If I had been close enough to hit it with a hat... I would have been the crazy guy to catch it with my hat like a baseball. And wait to meet him lol..

Balu

Lurker
Staff member
Admin
I just noticed that in the RCG thread, this video was being discussed too:

My first thought was: Zeiss Goggles? Inspire 1? Is that a Flite Test hat? Looks like Eric.

And yes, according to the description the crew was preparing to film Peters gigantous Guinea when someone of the crew crossed the main flight line with his personal Inspire 1, flew against the pattern, crashed and destroyed the Inspire1 and a Corsair... It sounds like Eric asks Mitch(?) if his Inspire1 got hit.

:-(

Last edited: