Prop, esc and battery questions

Sly Fox

I am building the mini f-22. I bought the recommended f pack motor and esc bundle. It comes with 2 props. Can I use these with the F-22 as long as I ensure the numbers face forward (seeing it is a pusher modle)?

Also I noticed the esc isn't covered (bare soder joints, etc). Should it be? If so do I just cover with electrical tape (not sure I could find shrink tube large enough)?

Lastly, I have a GoldDat 2200mah 3s 35c battery. Can I use it with the mini f-22? And the f pack motor?

Last edited:

Timmy

Legendary member
An I use these with the F-22 as long as I ensure the numbers face forward (seeing it is a pusher modle)?
Numbers face in the direction of travel
Also I noticed the esc isn't covered (bare soder joints, etc). Should it be? If so do I just cover with electrical tape (not sure I could find shrink tube large enough)?
A picture would be nice. If you're gonna cover the ESC you want to cover it with something heat resistant as ESC get quite hot. I don't know how heat resistant electrical tape is. Maybe another member could help with that one.
Lastly, I have a GoldDat 2200mah 3s 35c battery. Can I use it with the mini f-22? And the f pack motor?
That battery is probably a bit heavy for the F-22. Maybe a 3s 850mah would be better.

Sly Fox

A picture would be nice. If you're gonna cover the ESC you want to cover it with something heat resistant as ESC get quite hot. I don't know how heat resistant electrical tape is. Maybe another member could help with that one.

That battery is probably a bit heavy for the F-22. Maybe a 3s 850mah would be better.

A picture would be nice. If you're gonna cover the ESC you want to cover it with something heat resistant as ESC get quite hot. I don't know how heat resistant electrical tape is. Maybe another member could help with that one

I'll post a picture of the esc when I get home in the morning

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
...If you're gonna cover the ESC you want to cover it with something heat resistant as ESC get quite hot...
If you ESC is getting hot enough that you don't want to touch it. That is too hot you risk burning it out. Time to get a larger ESC or a smaller prop.

danskis

Master member
I agree with Timmy - that battery is probably too heavy for that plane. When you do get around to launching it, launch it up at about a 45 degree angle.

The large version flys way better than the small version. You can use the 2200 battery with the large version but you'll need a different/bigger motor.

Sly Fox

If you ESC is getting hot enough that you don't want to touch it. That is too hot you risk burning it out. Time to get a larger ESC or a smaller prop.
As I looked closer, it is covered, just with a clear covering.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
...it is covered, just with a clear covering.
Clear will get the job done. We are just looking for something to prevent a short, to prevent the wires from contacting something conducive, like metal or carbon fiber.

Inq

Elite member
Can I use these with the F-22 as long as I ensure the numbers face forward (seeing it is a pusher modle)?

Just a warning, I read here on the forum... If the two props are in opposite twists... (Drones need both directions) be aware that the torque of the motor can loosen the nut and the prop will come loose. I've never had issue, but I do make sure to check its tightness.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
...the torque of the motor can loosen the nut and the prop will come loose...
This is mostly a problem in quads, not so much in planes. Why? The motor in a plane runs more or less at a constant speed. In quads, the motor is starting and stopping many times per second, to maintain stability. It’s the constant starting a stopping that loosens the prop nut, if you use the wrong prop, CW or CCW.

In planes, just give the prop nut a good tightening with a pliers, no need to worry about having the correct prop.

Tench745

Master member
This is mostly a problem in quads, not so much in planes. Why? The motor in a plane runs more or less at a constant speed. In quads, the motor is starting and stopping many times per second, to maintain stability. It’s the constant starting a stopping that loosens the prop nut, if you use the wrong prop, CW or CCW.

In planes, just give the prop nut a good tightening with a pliers, no need to worry about having the correct prop.
I would not say "no need" but it is usually less of an issue. I had one plane where I was flying along at low throttle and fire-walled it for a high-speed pass and spit the spinner nut and prop off the plane despite it having been tightened with pliers. I recommend lock-nuts for reverse-rotation props now.