Q325

Q325 3

Please log in to download

johnbecker31

johnbecker31 submitted a new resource:

Q325 - Q325 - Scaled down Quickie 500

This plan is adapted from the Quickie 500 balsa plans, and scaled down to 65%.

I tested this with the FT B Power Pack, but this airplane is made for speed. I plan to use an RS2205 2300KV.
requires:
5g servos x 2 - Tail
9g servos x 2 - Aileron
10x2.3mm Round Neodymium Magnets x 2 - hatch

This airplane is still in testing, as I have not flown it on the RS2205 yet.

Read more about this resource...

johnbecker31

Thanks for this. A couple of the guys at the field fly nitro Quickie 500s so it will be a hoot to show up with an electric Quickie. Your wing span should be about 32.5 inches +/- correct?
The span on this is roughly 40" I am still trying to figure out the right motor to get this thing over the 100mph mark. let me know how it goes.

tomlogan1

Elite member
Going with a R2205 2300kv & 4s battery. Should be pretty fast. Printed out all the 3d stuff and waiting for my next box of foam board to arrive.

johnbecker31

What is the chord of the wing?

Thanks again.
The wing chord is 8"
So I just noticed that the CG mark is not accurate. if you are checking the CG with airplane inverted, the CG is actually right in the middle of the box spar. I will update the plans and post.

L Edge

Master member
Here is the original size Q-500. Back in the 70's, to compete, you had to explore ways to to come in under weight. So we cut foam wings and reduced the balsa to save weight. Investigated carbon wire strings(50 wires wide) that was epoxied to each 1/2 wing(expensive) to reduce twisting and warping. In general, came in about .25 lbs lighter which improved the speed. Especially if you have a jedi in the family.

By the way, good luck on your hunt for 100+. It will be the right motor/prop combo and reducing drag from your servos. For instance, your elevator servo, if installed internally and by leaving a gap in the end of the fuse, you can rotate the elevator. Look at the red tape(by the fiberglass) which shows how the wire goes into the aileron thru a tube and then bends up to connect to a servo which is on the wing.

Q-500.JPG

Another way(if you know what you are doing), you can try to max out efficiency of motor/prop at the top end , is try timing the motor. Be careful.

johnbecker31

3d parts printed. Got this cut out and waiting for more foam board & electronics.
So top section has some cut lines to cut out the hatch. I usually make the cuts before gluing the tail down. In fact I glue the magnet platform and front clip in place just to make sure everything lines up before I glue the top down.

L Edge

Master member
The span on this is roughly 40" I am still trying to figure out the right motor to get this thing over the 100mph mark. let me know how it goes.

To give you some added background info about speeds of 100+ using motors/prop, suggest you look at this site.

tomlogan1

Elite member
Still waiting for parts, but love the magnetic hatch. Had some rare earth magnets I got a swap meet a few years back and never had a use for them until now. Servos arrived late today, esc, motor and a few other odds and ends throughout next week.

johnbecker31

Still waiting for parts, but love the magnetic hatch. Had some rare earth magnets I got a swap meet a few years back and never had a use for them until now. Servos arrived late today, esc, motor and a few other odds and ends throughout next week.
Looking forward to seeing your build and hearing how it does! I am always a little nervous with a maiden. even with a well tested and proven design.

tomlogan1

Elite member
Still waiting for parts. Motor arrives 1/29!

The little bit I've done is pretty easy. The 3d printed parts came out perfectly and the tail wheel assembly looks solid.

tomlogan1

Elite member
Looking forward to seeing your build and hearing how it does! I am always a little nervous with a maiden. even with a well tested and proven design.
Everything is cut out and covered; ESC & servos on hand. Just waiting for the motor. I ordered a R2205 2300KV but wonder if it is too small? Might a lower KV bigger prop be better?

Attachments

• IMG_20240121_200309366.jpg
    IMG_20240121_200309366.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0