Quadcopter not lifting

ostrich160

Hi guys, so I recently started to built my own little racing quad, but on full throttles, its only just hovering above the ground, like less than 1cm. Of course the props and engines are aligned correctly, and theres nothing too heavy on it.

The setup is

Frame- FPV250 V3 Quadcopter

5030 props

MT2213-935KV motors (4 of them in total, ignore the props that came with them)

Afro 20Amp ESC

Turnigy Nanotech 1.3

KK2.1 flight control

9x transmitter

Of course there are other parts, but they're all pretty standard, you know things like power distribution. Anyway, any help on this?

Mustang7302

That frame barely accommodates a 6" prop, so I am going to assume you're running a 5" prop. Which with that low of KV means you're not producing enough lift for the weight of the hardware.

Get some 2204 size 2300KV motors to replace those 2213 935KV motors.

Last edited:

ostrich160

I thought that'd be the problem. I have a brother who assured me he was an 'expert' at this kind of thing and knew every part would work perfectly. This will be the forth part I've reordered. £300 I spent in total on all that, so needless to say Im not happy. But yeh, thanks for your help mate

Mustang7302

The motors, speed controllers, and props that came with the motors you have would be great on a FliteTest ElectroHub, Knuckle, or Bat Bone though. Just get a 2200mAh 3S battery to fly on the bigger craft.

RichB

Your setup is fine except you need motors with a higher kv. So order some motors and use them with the frame, battery, escs and props you already have, and you will be fine.

The motors you have will work great with larger props (like the ones that came with them) so save them and their props for when you build a larger craft later.

As long as you build a larger quad later for those motors, you didn't really waste any money, you just spent it early, and that's good financial planning!

ostrich160

Your setup is fine except you need motors with a higher kv. So order some motors and use them with the frame, battery, escs and props you already have, and you will be fine.

The motors you have will work great with larger props (like the ones that came with them) so save them and their props for when you build a larger craft later.

As long as you build a larger quad later for those motors, you didn't really waste any money, you just spent it early, and that's good financial planning!

Yeh thats a good point actually, I ordered the motors the above poster recommended. I guess theres nothing wrong with having spare motors.

meehan

Are they any good for racing?

Stick with the small 250 quads for racing. It will be cheaper in the end. Smaller quads / tris are much more durable. Longer arms and more weight just break easier. That said a bigger tri or quad is a lot of fun to fly and will tend to produce "better" videos

HarleyRev

Im not an expert by any means , first thing I would check is your board and radio settings to ensure you motors are turning at full throttle.
If you have some gains turned down on the kk board too low it will effect throttle , and I have learned that I have to have the throttle set at 100% on the kk board .

ON my orangerx radio I can look at my stick movements , which I do before a flight to ensure I have proper range of movements there too.

When I built my quad I found motor/prop combinations to be confusing so I opted for a power pack that flite test recommended for the knuckle quad , which is what i built , and I am very happy with the power my quad has.

When I was designing my quad I read many articles on how much lift to have to get the quad to do what you want it to do.

Here are some rules of thumb that I have found to use when trying to determine what motors you should use.

Motors range from 800kv to 3000kv ---
lower kv motors use large props that turn slower , but are more efficient. 10" to 12" props
faster turning motors use smaller props that are less efficient , but more responsive to turns , throttle. 5" to 6" props
mid range motors--1900kv--use 7" to 8" props efficiency and response is in between the other types.

From what I can tell slow kv is something around 800 to 1200 kv , this is not exact numbers , simply a best guess from what I've learned.

Motor specs should recommend props sizes for you , if not , choose a better documented motor.

http://www.flybrushless.com/motor/view/454
I use this site to see how much lift my motor/prop combination will generate. The info is not exact , but it is useful.

Then I used these rules of thumb ::

Goal is to hover at 50% throttle

2.2 x weight (of quad or tricoptor) 2.2:1 thrust /weight ratio, is the minimum amount of thrust needed to have a well flying machine.

So a 1000g quad should have 2200g of lift total. 4 motors on a quad , so each motor should be capable of producing 550g of lift.

3 x weight of the quad, 3:1 thrust ratio, to have an good acrobatic quad .

another general rule I found is watts of motor x 3 = thrust output of motor

Looking at your motors , they are supposed to use 10" props , slow turning , which is not what you want for a 250 quad. Which is what RichB was telling you.

Hope this helps and that you get your power problem fixed !

Take care

ostrich160

That frame barely accommodates a 6" prop, so I am going to assume you're running a 5" prop. Which with that low of KV means you're not producing enough lift for the weight of the hardware.

Get some 2204 size 2300KV motors to replace those 2213 935KV motors.

Gotta say mate Im a little disappointed. I did exactly as you said, but despite listing the ESC's Im using, these new motors dont fit the ESC's.

C0d3M0nk3y

Posted a thousand or more times
Gotta say mate Im a little disappointed. I did exactly as you said, but despite listing the ESC's Im using, these new motors dont fit the ESC's.

What do you mean when you say they don't fit the ESCs?

Edit: Do you mean that they don't have bullet connectors? Not very many mini motors come with bullet connectors attached because most builders solder the motors directly to the ESCs. If you want to add bullet connectors, you can solder them to the motor wires fairly easily.

Last edited:

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor

I'm assuming both your motors and ESC's have bullet connectors soldered to them? I'm going to hazard a guess that the 20A ESC's have 3-3.5mm bullets, and the motors have 2-2.5mm bullets?

Just cut 'em all off and solder the wires together, once you figure out the direction the motors need to turn / hence know what sets of wires go together! Use shrink tubing to insulate them. If you don't have soldering kit, you might be able to find someone who does and see if they can do it for you...