Quanum DIY FPV Goggle Set

Andre

Fly yes... land no.
Admin
My kit officially entered the base station phase.

Picked up a set of those Quanum DIY FPV Goggle Set with Monitor (KIT) from Hobby King.

They actually work really well as a small monitor and my son who found wearing the goggles very hard loves them.
I'm going to rig up a single power source for the DVR and display.
They will either sit on a bench or a tripod.

Stay tuned.

IMG_0257.JPG IMG_0256.JPG IMG_0255.JPG IMG_0253.JPG IMG_0254.JPG

Andre.

DDSFlyer

It's such a great buy, I really want to get a pair even if I get fat sharks to have as a second set for spectators

marc60

I bought it too, got it in yesterday. Works fine for my spotter. For me, using reading glasses (over 50 :p), I can't put it on my head with my glasses on.
Good buy!

DDSFlyer

I've seen/heard of people using reading glasses or mounting them instead of the fresnel lens inside and that seemed to work ok. Maybe you could try that instead?

Kaos116

I picked up a kit. I wear prescription glasses, bifocals to boot. I could not get any of the lenses to focus the screen without my glasses. If I pushed the screen back another 3-4 inches it came into focus. I either need to modify the foam to accept my glasses or modify it to push the screen back.

This is one reason I didn't go right into the more expensive goggles. I'd hate to spend the money to find out I can't use them, but for $30, it was worth trying.

Andre

Fly yes... land no.
Admin
Really I think if you can get away with using the setup without the lens.

Tritium

Amateur Extra Class K5TWM
The right reading glasses will provide a superior picture to the Fresnel lenses any day. It can take up to 2 pair of +4 glasses stacked to get the focal range right though for tired older eyes. I think this is reported in another thread as well.

Thurmond

Andre

Fly yes... land no.
Admin
Makes a great base station

Combined the goggle set with my DVR project.

Wired power off the ESC to the monitor, put very thing on a piece of wood and suddenly I have a base-station.

IMG_0308.JPG IMG_0307.JPG IMG_0306.JPG 10514650_10154356388855416_6522779407101202231_n.jpg

Andre

Fly yes... land no.
Admin
Yes that is an old NiCd battery from my RC car days. Still works even after almost 10 years in a box.

The DVR gets 5V off the ESC and worked off a 2S so the NiCd does just fine at 7.2 or what ever it is putting out.
I swapped all the Deans connectors for TX-60's.

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
I plan on running my GS separately in it's box - and having a cable going to the goggles. We'll see when it gets here. I hope the goggles takes 12v like the GS does...

Andre

Fly yes... land no.
Admin
Should not be a problem. My station can run on 12V as well.

I just happened to have 3 batteries sitting around so I'm using them instead of my flight packs.

Cyberdactyl

Misfit Multirotor Monkey
I bought a pair for friends and family that want to "ride along". :cool:

20140814_214831.jpg

I modded mine quite a bit and have a couple of suggestions and a mod tip.

First, I would suggest not gluing them together as instructed. It will be very difficult to clean the back of the freznel and the display. Getting the Freznel holder out is MUCH harder than suggested in the HK marketing video with the two clam-shell halves glued together.

I used two strips of the cheap 'velcro-on-a-roll' and securely bound them. For the two head straps, I put a line of hot glue down the end of the strap and rolled it up on itself a couple of times once I pulled them through the slice you cut, instead of screwing it down.

DSC00492.jpg

Second, much like this review, I could not get the image to focus with any of the three, or combination of the three lenses, the visor is simply too short. What I did to fix this problem was to use a flip-down, ballcap clip-on magnifier I had laying around. I had to dremel away more nose clearance to allow the magnifier to be set roughly 8mm from my eyes, and then have the Freznel all the way back on the slider. On the inside top and bottom, I took small pieces of stiff black foam and hot-glued stops for the magnifier to hold it in place. With this setup, the goggles focus exceptionally well. . . for me. . . without glasses. For others that don't require reading glasses, the slider is moved closer to the display.

They're no Fatsharks, but all in all, for $30, they are definitely a steal. Especially for a non blue-screen display with decent resolution. The display alone is worth more than $30.