Andre's 5.8GHz FPV Ground Station

Andre

Fly yes... land no.
Admin
I wanted to redo my setup so i decided to try the "everything attached to a tripod" look. I have a couple square sheets of ABS plastic so v1 is just a rough cut working mock-up with over sized holes and hot-glue/Velcro to hold everything in place. It hangs on the V of the legs with velcro straps. Still have to add a eageleyes diversity on it somewhere to get my dvr in line, but pretty happy with the convenience of this setup. Collapsed, like the picture, it sits happily in the back of my jeep. To setup i just drop the legs, connect my cabled goggles, and put a battery on the Velcro. I have it setup with power switches so i can turn on off the 2.4 rx, 5.8 diversity receiver, and the automobile USB charger. Eventually i want to add a 25mw 5.8vtx relay to wireless goggles, but this is working pretty great. I really like the cleanness of the cased setups but i always have a hard time trying to find a spot, where i fly, to set that at eye level, without bringing a table to set it on.
View attachment 62152

NICE!

Yeah I had considered dropping the case but this seemed to work out.
I'm sure it will keep getting refined as I actually plan to fly FPV this year ;)

Andre

Fly yes... land no.
Admin
New display

Ordered a $18 4.3" display for the DVR setup.

4.3 inch TFT LCD HD Digital Monitor Color Screen For Car Rear View Reversing Camera

Now the ground station can function independently allowing me to verify reception, if the dvr is recording and playback as required.

IMG_8966.JPG IMG_8968.JPG IMG_8970.JPG

This display is probably not FPV rated but this is a backup source.
I have the 2nd goggles and a 7" display well but everything can function with requiring cables.

Last edited:

Andre

Fly yes... land no.
Admin
Nothing and I have a nice 7" diversity display now as well but when I started out back in 2014 something like that SkyZone was double the price.

Plus I like my DIY projects ;)

thenated0g

Drinker of coffee, Maker of things
Mentor
Andre, wouldnt your cheap one have issues when the signal got bad? I mean if you were using it as your primary flying screen. That may be bad. If its just a nice camera to setup with or have bystanders check out than no reason to spend money on the more expensive one right?

Andre

Fly yes... land no.
Admin
Andre, wouldnt your cheap one have issues when the signal got bad? I mean if you were using it as your primary flying screen. That may be bad. If its just a nice camera to setup with or have bystanders check out than no reason to spend money on the more expensive one right?

Yep. This is not my prime setup. The DVR is just something I can plug in.

I have another project in the works but in the meantime I'm tempted to make a cube with the screen, receiver, dvr and battery. Something I can power up and deploy. Super compact and easy. Sit on top of the car or sling it off the tripod.

Naturally I'd love an all in 1 solution but ask Fred about his experience.

cranialrectosis

Faster than a speeding face plant!
Mentor
Nothing and I have a nice 7" diversity display now as well but when I started out back in 2014 something like that SkyZone was double the price.

Plus I like my DIY projects ;)

Thanks, Andre. I would like a cleaner solution and I like your build. My Skyzone is pretty new and I love it, but want a better antenna and battery storage.

Andre

Fly yes... land no.
Admin
Well you can certainly improve stock antennas as per power. I'm going to add a JST pigtail to my current setup so I can charge the 7" display in the field is required.

As you can see I've managed to fit everything in the case.

IMG_8791.jpg