Question about a transmitter and reciever

wrench

Can I use my old LP5DSM transmitter to fly a quadcopter (vtail if it matters)?

Also if it is compatible with a quadcopter, what receiver should I use?
This is the one I had in mind because of how cheap it is... (not sure if it would work though)
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/..._Receiver_US_Warehouse_.html?strSearch=orange

Sorry for all the (probably) dumb questions but I am new to flying and am trying to stay as cheap as possible for now.

or should I try and save myself the headache and fork over the $70 for a turnigy 9x? :confused:

Thanks in advance for the help!

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
You can but be advised:
1. range is only about 300ft with this radio. the power output is about a quarter to half what other "full range" radios output.
2. It is DSM2 protocol, receivers should be no trouble to find as most of the DSMX are also backwards compatible, but check to be sure. Also, this protocol has been known to be problematic as far as glitches and lockouts.

The flight controller board is what flies the multicopter, so any 4 channel radio will work, although 5+ channels is preferable for flight mode control. How many channels will depend on board type. KK2 will only need 5, but multiwii or APM boards need more since there are more flight modes to select, up to 6 or more modes on some boards.

If you don't mind a bit of hacking and DIY, get a 9X and any JR compatible module for whatever type of protocol you want to fly. Consider receiver price when picking that protocol. If you prefer a radio with the mods already done, maybe the 9XR is what you are looking for. It will still need a module, see above for selecting type.

Last edited:

wrench

You can but be advised:
1. range is only about 300ft with this radio. the power output is about a quarter to half what other "full range" radios output.
2. It is DSM2 protocol, receivers should be no trouble to find as most of the DSMX are also backwards compatible, but check to be sure. Also, this protocol has been known to be problematic as far as glitches and lockouts.

The flight controller board is what flies the multicopter, so any 4 channel radio will work, although 5+ channels is preferable for flight mode control. How many channels will depend on board type. KK2 will only need 5, but multiwii or APM boards need more since there are more flight modes to select, up to 6 or more modes on some boards.

Thanks, looks like I will be buying a new radio then

wrench

Tritium

Amateur Extra Class K5TWM
That Turnigy 9X system will do you quite nicely in its stock configuration and will allow you to upgrade if and when you get ready at a future date.

Basic Telemetry is an exchange of data (such as battery voltage, current consumption etc) from the craft back to the ground.

Thurmond

Last edited: