Questions about my first build

DeadlyMonkey

Hey to whoever is reading this I hope one of you guys that have experience can help me out. I was just wondering about the connection to my ecs and my motor, I was wondering whether there's a reason for having the male bullet/banana connectors on the motor and the female on ecs? or is that just convention.

If you have any other tips you wish you knew before your first build you could be a life saver. Thank you

Ketchup

4s mini mustang
There is probably not a huge reason, but I know that since the current passes through the esc, they might put female connections on the esc so that the wires don’t touch and short out or something. If that isn’t it, then they probably just wanted some standard for esc and motor connection. Also, about putting the female connector on the thing that passes current, batteries have female connectors so that the battery connector doesn’t touch something conductive and short out.
All right. Tips that can be a life saver. The first is to know that brushless motors are waterproof. One time I got some loctite on a motor and I only rinsed off the loctite because I knew that the motor was waterproof, so keep that in mind. Most things are probably waterproof though, as long as you dry them completely before trying to use them again. Another thing is that on some planes (like the ft mini mustang) the servos that are glued inside the tail can come off because the paper peels away from the foam. A lot of people don’t do this, but for planes where the servo is glued straight onto a flat piece of foam, I put a zip tie around the servo to hold it onto the fuselage for extra safety. Again, you don’t have to do the last one, it’s just if you have the same issue.
Yeah, my tips aren’t exactly life savers, but they were helpful for me, so I hope that they can help you (actually I hope that you never need to use them).

"Corpse"

Legendary member
Hey to whoever is reading this I hope one of you guys that have experience can help me out. I was just wondering about the connection to my ecs and my motor, I was wondering whether there's a reason for having the male bullet/banana connectors on the motor and the female on ecs? or is that just convention.

If you have any other tips you wish you knew before your first build you could be a life saver. Thank you
I don't know if this is the reason, but the smartest thing to do when you have electrical potential, is to keep it away from people. That's why the female connector for 120v AC is on the power grid, and not on your tools. You wouldn't want a male connector accidentally touching something or someone and giving them a bad day.:(

DeadlyMonkey

There is probably not a huge reason, but I know that since the current passes through the esc, they might put female connections on the esc so that the wires don’t touch and short out or something. If that isn’t it, then they probably just wanted some standard for esc and motor connection. Also, about putting the female connector on the thing that passes current, batteries have female connectors so that the battery connector doesn’t touch something conductive and short out.
All right. Tips that can be a life saver. The first is to know that brushless motors are waterproof. One time I got some loctite on a motor and I only rinsed off the loctite because I knew that the motor was waterproof, so keep that in mind. Most things are probably waterproof though, as long as you dry them completely before trying to use them again. Another thing is that on some planes (like the ft mini mustang) the servos that are glued inside the tail can come off because the paper peels away from the foam. A lot of people don’t do this, but for planes where the servo is glued straight onto a flat piece of foam, I put a zip tie around the servo to hold it onto the fuselage for extra safety. Again, you don’t have to do the last one, it’s just if you have the same issue.
Yeah, my tips aren’t exactly life savers, but they were helpful for me, so I hope that they can help you (actually I hope that you never need to use them).

Dude thank you so much i literally just bought a bunch of stuff and kinda threw myself into the deep end and its kinda nice to know that there are nice people like you out there to help me out so its just making me more excited to start

DeadlyMonkey

I don't know if this is the reason, but the smartest thing to do when you have electrical potential, is to keep it away from people. That's why the female connector for 120v AC is on the power grid, and not on your tools. You wouldn't want a male connector accidentally touching something or someone and giving them a bad day.:(

Thank you for this im glad to see an active community