Questions about props

Shane

So I built my first plane in the fall and promptly broke all my props before I could get a successful flight out of it. Without realizing the importance of shaft diameter, I went and bought a few more of the same size, but they were different brand and didn't fit my motor.

So now that it's spring out and I'm ready to fly again I'm looking for a good source for props. The ones that I broke were the APC slow fly 9x4.7, which are listed on Altitude Hobbies as having a 3/16" shaft. I have found these props on another website for a bit cheaper, but they don't have full specs listed. Are all APC 9x4.7 going to be the same? They come with the inserts to fit the shaft...so I'm assuming that they're the same?

Also, I built the FT Flyer, but it's a bit bulky and hard to store out of the way. I was thinking about building the new Tiny Trainer. This is the power pack that I have on my Flyer . Will I be safe moving these electronics over to the tiny trainer? Here's the power pack that FT suggests.

That should be ok, right?

Last edited:

IFlyRCstuff

Flyer Of Many Things
So long as diameter and pitch (numbers) are the same, they should be just fine. Also check prop shaft diameter and make sure you aren't buying slow-fly if you don't want slow-fly. That shouldn't be a problem at all 4hough, just make sure pitch and diameter are the same.

AkimboGlueGuns

Biplane Guy
Mentor
The little rings that come in the package along with the propeller are for narrowing down the hub to fit on the shaft of whatever motor you have, so as long as you keep those little rings, you shouldn't have any problems.