Questions About which ESCs do I use to hook up a larger battery to a twin engine.

BirdMan9876

I have a question about what ESCs do I use, and battery, to connect two NTM propdrive series 28-26 1200KV motors without frying them, or the ESC. because last time I used a large battery, it fried bolth my ESCs and my motors, and this time I want a big enough battery that it will have the flying time of a normal battery pack on a single engine plane. So if anyone can help me with this, it would be greatly appreciated.

-Thanks, BirdMan9876

HarleyRev

This appears to be your motor specs

Model: NTM Prop Drive Series 28-26A 1200kv
Kv: 1200rpm/v
Max current: 17A
Max Power:215W @ 12v (3S) / 286W @ 15v (4S)
Shaft: 3mm
Weight: 57.6g
ESC: 20A
Cell count: 3s~4s Lipoly
Bolt holes: 16mm & 19mm
Bolt thread: M3
Connection: 3.5mm Bullet-connector

Prop Tests:
7x6E - 11.1v - 90W - 8A
7x6E - 14.8v - 192W - 13A
8x4E - 11.1v - 100W - 9A
8x4E - 14.8v - 222W - 15A
8x6E - 11.1v - 145w - 13A

says 3s or 4s battery --- use proper prop for the battery you decide to use

max amp draw per motor=17 17 x 20% safety margin = minimum ESC is 20.4 amp choose next size up

battery size wold be determined by the weight of your quad and the total lift capabilities of your motors/prop choice

quorneng

Master member
just a point but the size (capacity) of a battery has no bearing on the current a motor tries to take but the voltage (number of cells) will.
The most likely thing that will fry a motor and ESC is simply too big a prop.

So size the prop to keep within the max rating of the motor (amps) for the number of battery cells you intend to use. Size the ESC to match (but add 30% 'headroom').
As HarletRev suggests the battery capacity (ie its weight) is determined by how much you want to lift but too small a capacity battery and that can get 'cooked' as well.

Last edited:

BirdMan9876

Thanks, I'm really glad you guys are here to help with this stuff. I cant wait for me to get further into the hobby. I really cant thank you guys enough!