Quick DTFB Minwax Question

pressalltheknobs

Posted a thousand or more times
I had the same idea and I tried two different spray clear stuff and the paper de laminated. Both were krylon. Surprisingly the regular krylon spray paint did not have that effect but it did dissolve the foam a bit. Once you have the minwax on there you can safely use spray can paint. I recommend you seal the edges with hot glue squeeged thin unless you used a foam safe like krylon quick shot. Its quite expensive since the can is small

The liquid minwax is easy to apply with wad of paper towel, a section at a time immediately wiping off with a loose paper towel. You don't need much. Vinyl or latex gloves are recommended to keep it off your hands. Much less messy then spray paint and it doesn't take very long

BridgeInspector

Flite Test Groupie
It is the propellant in the spray paint cans that causes the delamination not the paint itself. If you're careful you can use regular spray paint from a distance doing light coats to avoid propellant reaching the foam and evaporate first. Also you don't want to wet the DTFB paper too much as it can shrink, warp and still peel.
I found the biggest advantage of painting with Minwax was a smoother surface. The dollar tree foamboard paper tends to have a fiberous surface when not painted with the Minwax first. I have ruined a good paint job with blue masking tape that fluffed up the fibers on the paper when not miniwaxed first.