Quick look at the YG Bird (Allula-ish EPP kit)

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
As was mentioned elsewhere, the Dreamflight Alula -- an elegant foam SAL/DLG wing -- has dropped off the market. A nice plane, for sure, but not if you can't get one . . .

It seems a gentleman out of South Korea (the shipping lable read Bruce Lee, FWIW) has been punching out EPP kits (Ha!)for Various airframes, including one similar to the Dreamflight Alula, the "YG Bird". For $25 + shipping, it lacks only the glue and electronics.

attachment.php

After waiting on the slowboat to arrive (I'm NOT paying $22 to ship a $25 kit), it arrived a little beaten, but the parts are all pretty durable inside. Instructions are a series of annotated pictures, mostly in Korean, but the diminsions are all you need to read. The kit is unfinished -- while the airfoil is properly cut the surface is pretty rough, no groves or holes are cut, except the elevon hinges, and the Nose section is blocky and solid -- you have to cut and carve your own electronics bay. Assembly is primarily with CA + kicker, but I used Gorilla glue in some places.

attachment.php

Basic Assembly took a couple of evenings, most of the time (for me) spent on sanding the fuse into shape and cutting/carving the custom electronics bay. The wing has a single fiberglass spar which you install in the wing in three pieces -- 2 overlapping slightly bigger than the wing half, and a third small piece glued in with the overlap in the center. From reports that the rear half of the wing starts to seperate over time, so I added a carbon spar between the main spar and the trailing edge (from my on-hand stock).

attachment.php

The launch peg is lashed onto the spar before it's installed and the lashing secured with thin CA (sokes into the threads better). I had some 50# Spectra line on hand and used it instead of provided thread. whatever you use, look up a "square lashing" and forgo their instructions -- done propely, tight and glued it'll perform much better than the knot they show. a hole is cut at just the right spot, and when the spar goes in, the peg lines up with it. I also didn't care for the EPP hinges, so I cut them and replaced it with a glue hinge (yellow line in the top)

attachment.php

The tail is mounted between two FG strips and then those are imbedded in the tail -- pretty easy to install.

attachment.php

The stock instructions have you carve and mount the servos under the fuse, near the center of the wing (where it's thickest). Some suggestons I've seen, have been to mount the servos in the fuse, far forawrd of the designed position to make them neutral-to-nose-heavy to the CG. I opted for a position that placed the horns (on the aft side of the servo) at the stock CG. The fuse and tail are more than tall enough to protect the servo's and linkages, but I had to carve in a little deeper to get the servos to angle out a bit ot line up with the reccomended control horns.

attachment.php

The hatch was cut in the top and a hole is carved for the servo wires to pass through.

attachment.php

The hatch itself, I cut with a V in the back and flush along the centerline to the nose, and two CF tubes were imbedded in the fuse. two matching CF rods wer embedded in the hatch, and a pair of magnets placed on the nose that slide apart to open the hatch forward.

attachment.php

the bay itself was cut to fit a OrangeRX 615, a micro voltage booster, and a 1s500 battery, with the battery sliding into the fuse by 1/4" to hold everything in place.

attachment.php

All buttoned up with battery it runs ~120g and a *touch* tail heavy. so far I've added 2g to get it to the recommended CG, and I might have to double that ;)

Storage is a cinch -- mount a wire to the wall and hang it on the launch peg.

attachment.php

Glide tests, so far have been promising, but I've got to take this bad boy out to the field . . . more to come :D

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Maiden went great . . . at least for the airframe.

Observations:

- FUN!!! the fun:$ ratio is high for this lill' guy, just keep in mind she's cheap to begin with.

- Aileron authority is kinda weak -- go high rates on both horns (outside hole on the servo, inside hole on the contol horn). stiffening the alieron by adding a CF rod or glassing the aileon would help, at the penalty of tail weight.

- Can't compare it to an alula (haven't flown one), but it's not a high performance glider. For the cost, it's great to play catch-and-release. Minor mods may also improve it's defecencies.

- If you have it on hand, use a CF flat instead of the fiberglass flat provided for a spar. the FG spar is ok, but ends up a little floppy, which will cost speed in a hard throw.

- the finish is very rough, and I think the parisitic drag is really hitting performance. I'm trying some things to smooth out the wing . . . I'll report any success I find.

- Josh makes a DLG toss look easy. Won't say it's hard, but it's gonna take some practice

- get a GOOD grip on your TX. If it slips in your hand mid-launch, at best you loose control of your glider, at worst you get two walks of shame -- one to pick up your glider in front of you, the other to pick up your transmitter behind you :p

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
Sweet...so glad to see this Dan. Mine should be here soon and I'd love to see some pics of the build if you have any. ;)

510thousandths

Just someone else.
Mentor
LOL...I see the problem...you're using the wrong hand to throw with! JK.

I will bring my alula to FF if you want to give it a comparison. Plus it will be nice to see better pilots prove that my plane can fly better than I can.:black_eyed:

Last edited:

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
I will bring my alula to FF if you want to give it a comparison. Plus it will be nice to see better pilots prove that my plane can fly better than I can.:black_eyed:

I'm sure we can find someone to throw it who's got skillz . . . but I'm willing to give it a try too ;)

I'm curious how they compare, and wouldn't mind swapping planes for a few tosses.

Got a buddy trying to talk me into glassing it, but hard to say if I can corner him to show me how before FTFF. He was able to get quite a bit more altitude than I was with a SAL, but he's big into Free-flight, and a bit more practiced at chucking things with wings.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
CG is just a touch forward of the spar, then trim reflex onto the elevons until she glides.

If you can, the surface needs to be smoothed -- the jagged EPP drags like crazy. fill/sand the wing with lightweight spackle, then a light layer of paint to seal it. Take care to keep it LIGHT -- I glassed mine to seal the spackle and she went from draggy (stock) to slippery (spackle) to sunk (glass).

Might even be good to replace the FG spar with carbon.