RBARPDIYC2018: flying Red Bull Formula 1 race car!

Dr. Looping Looie

Elite member
Done!
That looks amazing! Absolutely scale replica of the Red Bull RB6 from 2010. It weights less then a kilo with battery installed.
IMAG0086.jpg
IMAG0087.jpg

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
Wow! It looks great, really like the side intakes. Prop is not to conspicuous, will it have enough ooomph?

DamoRC

Dr. Looping Looie

Elite member
It dosnt get off the ground, but at higher speeds, it feels like very lite and the wheels lose traction. I want to Put 4 cell in it and see If it makes a difference. If not, what would you say? Add more powerful motors or add wings?

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
She looked great in the vid - almost seemed like she was a drift car!

Given a choice between adding the wing or modifying the fuse to get the bigger motors and props in there, I would modify the fuse.

Right now you have a beautiful car that drives well. If you up the power you will have a car that drives and flies. If you add the wing, you will have a plane with a fuselage that looks like a car - somehow I think this will lessen the impact of the cool car that you have built. Just my 2 cents worth.

DamoRC.

Dr. Looping Looie

Elite member
But I can attatch the wing in no-time and the size ist perfekt. This ist the solution that ist more likely to fly, and I can also remove it later. Could be the faster brother of the little tikes car.

Crow929

That "plane" is on of the best taxiing I've ever seen though!
Seriously, that has turned out way better than what I imagined when you first proposed the idea. Great work so far!

Dr. Looping Looie

Elite member
That didnt work well. The car left the track and ran into high grass. The front spoiler got destroyed, but the rest is fine. I'll rebuild it and try it another time.
IMAG0091.jpg
IMAG0092.jpg
IMAG0093.jpg

But the Motors seam to have enough power. I Just need a better place for take-off

Dr. Looping Looie

Elite member
Wooooooow it just made at least something like a flight! Sadly, I didnt caught it on camera, but thats how it looked: After giving full throttle and pulling the elevator all the way up, it left the ground after a few meters and climbed to about a half meter, but then the nose went down and it crashed into the grass nose first after about 3 meters of flight. I think that it was both a little noseheavy and had much more lift on the rear than on the front. So Im going to Put the battery more in the back next time and also mount the front spoiler at an angle to create more lift.
The funny thing is that the crash looked just like a real F1 crash. Here are the demage Pics:
IMAG0096.jpg

IMAG0097.jpg

But theres one demage that is much worse than the deformed foam: one Prop blade ist demaged. Can I fly with it or will the vibration and inefficency be too bad for the airplane?
IMAG0098.jpg

Do you think the demage ist too bad?
I think I can try it again tomorrow.

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
But theres one demage that is much worse than the deformed foam: one Prop blade ist demaged. Can I fly with it or will the vibration and inefficency be too bad for the airplane?
Do you think the demage ist too bad?
I think I can try it again tomorrow.

I wouldn't fly with that prop - you will likely damage the motor and shake the motor mount to destruction (probably)!

One thing that struck me when I looked at the car again was the position of the wing and your comments about it being nose heavy. The alternative solution to this would be to pull the wing forward. The only reason I say this is that I am reminded of an issue I had with the Junkers EF-112 model I was trying to build last year. I built one prototype and it was terrible in the air. Then @Joe M and a couple of other folks pointed out that aerodynamically, the plane design was weak. As @Joe M said:

"The arrow analogy is probably the easiest way to conceptualize it. An arrow with fletching flies straight while and unfletched arrow tumbles. The fletching moves the AC of the arrow back behind the center of pressure which makes it dynamically stable. It just sort of "wants" to fly straight. "

Is it possible that the front of the car is too draggy in comparison to the rear? Pulling the wing forward could help this analogous to the advice I received for the Junkers to shorten the nose.

DamoRC

Joe M

Nice work, man! I agree with DamoRC's advice about moving the wing forward, seems like a solid start. Also you'll have to figure the entire body into the CG calculation since unlike a traditional plane it will figure heavily into "wing" loading, just the nature of flying cars. Keep iterating and don't get too down when it crashes. These are hard to get right, and you'll learn a lot more from your failures than from your successes.

Also after scrubbing through some old hard drives I found a video of an old "Red Bull" flying car I made from DTFB back in 2013. I used to race it against my friends' RC cars, which was a ton a fun.

I wish I had gotten a video of the first one of those I built, which got up to about 30mph on the pavement before it rotated straight up about 20 feet, turned around, and smashed into a thousand pieces. Good luck!

Dr. Looping Looie

Elite member
Videos coming in with some crazy stuff that looks a little like flying:
That second flight looked impressive. Sorry for bad quality, thats because it was too dark. There was no demage in both flights.
Any ideas for improvement? Then it went straight up, I gave down-elevator to bring it in level flight, but it flipped and landed upside down. Intresting fact: the model I made in Simple Planes did the same thing and started to flip uncontrollable everytime I gave down-elevator. Maybe I should put the CG a little forward?