RC Chinook

Aviator12

Hello, please where can I find an RC chinook helicopter about 40cm long, easy to fly and realistic looking (has 2 rotor discs like the real thing and not 4) to buy. I have searched for a long time now and found nothing. Are there companies/ individuals that can build one for me? Thanks very much

mastermalpass

Elite member
I've never heard of any two-rotor tandem helis being sold, they always came with coaxial rotors with a flybar on each. I'm guessing you'd have to venture in to making one yourself. Fortunately, I found a website that sells a lot of key parts for such a model.

It's no beginner's model though. It's 450 sized, meaning professional - not easy to fly and very dangerous! Have you flown any helis before?

Aviator12

Thanks for your email. No, I haven't flown any helicopters before. I saw the Eachine Blackhawk helicopter and loved the stability and size and was wondering why a similarly sized and stable to fly Chinook isn't available in the market.

Are there companies/ individuals that scratch build rc helicopters for customers?

mastermalpass

Elite member
You'll wanna start small. Small 100-or-less scale helicopters can shrug off a crash and you'll be doing that a lot in your early heli days. Plus, a small helicopter is unlikely to damage you should the worst happen.

I saw the Eachine Black Hawk too and it does look nice, but I saw people reviewing it and found that all the nice detailing on it can break off rather easily. It gets damaged not so much by crashing but by simply landing rough, so in less than a year, it will be looking pretty beaten up even if it still flies fine. But on top of that, it is a 200 sized heli and my experience with 200 sized helicopters is that they are small enough to be thrown off by the wind, but heavy enough to really bend themselves up in a crash.

I have a WL Toys V950 and that's waiting on repairs. It's been sitting in the box for while now because my mini helis satisfy my casual flying and my big 500 sized heli satisfies my serious flying. Though, I will say I am glad I tried a 200 sized heli before moving up to 500 size, but I had by then racked up A LOT of time on the smaller helicopters.

It's the same story as with planes. Don't start with your dream model, you'll just trash it and feel bad. Start with a basic one and work your way up to the dream model. What is also the same with planes: the basic trainers are a blast to fly! You won't regret getting a little heli that isn't a Chinook.

It's getting late here and I've got an early start tomorrow so I'm gonna turn in. But I'll be back tomorrow evening to recommend some specific helis to start on.

Oh and, I've never heard of a company building bespoke helicopters. The pro helicopter market doesn't even sell complete helis, it's all kits and parts.

mastermalpass

Elite member
So, the mini helis I've been flying are quite old now and all discontinued, but newer models seem to be serving the exact same experience. Now, if this is your first time flying anything, I actually recommend getting a quad copter first as they are much less erratic and easier to get your orientation and hand-eye coordination trained up. The old Syma Coaxial helicopters can do a bit of this so long as you stay indoors, but they don't have the ability to move sideways, so you end up drifting in the walls a lot.

This helicopter, the XK K110S, seems very similar to one I have. It's a great package as it has a '6G mode' where it automatically levels out when you let go of the stick and generally tries to be a docile as a heli this small can be. But it also has the option of high rates and 3D mode, so once you've got enough practice flying it in beginner mode, you can start practicing more professional flying styles and even fly it in fairly harsh winds. I've taken mine out in some pretty gust conditions - it's difficult, but doable. I've crashed mine over and over and it's been able to carry on flying nearly every time. The only game-stopper is when you bend the pinion gear, which this one comes with a spare of and pinion gears of this size are very cheap.

If you want to already fly a scale model, there is the XK K123. I have the WL Toys equivilent and though it isn't quite up there with the K110S, it can still take a beating and fly in wind. The drawback is that though it has the ability to fly 3D and in High rates, the battery isn't ventilated enough and so it gets too hot, causing it to become pretty useless very quickly. If you're only interested in scale-style flight then it can do that, but you really wanna practice 3D if you plan to graduate to larger helicopters.