Rearranging FT plans

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Thanks Balu. I'm glad you like it. I can make a template available for others if needed. I'm using AutoCAD, so I'm not sure that it will be all that helpful? There are probably other applications that I can export the template too, but I would need to know what programs people are going to use to make plans with and find out if its feasible.

Now that I have my template done, is there a FT tiled plan that you would like to see rearranged? That'll be the true test for this template.

Balu

Lurker
Staff member
Admin
I have AutoCAD available on campus, but I'm not really trained to use it - especially since it's quite a piece of software. I'm thinking that might be similar with others.

Let's see if people have suggestions for your design / layout before transferring a template to another format.

How do you do the tiling in AutoCAD? Is there a function to do that or is it all done manually?

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
I have AutoCAD available on campus, but I'm not really trained to use it - especially since it's quite a piece of software. I'm thinking that might be similar with others.

Let's see if people have suggestions for your design / layout before transferring a template to another format.

How do you do the tiling in AutoCAD? Is there a function to do that or is it all done manually?

I wish there was a good way to do it automatically, but I haven't found a good way to do it yet. I took me almost an hour last night to create the PDF's for the Rev B full-size and tiled plans.

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
One lingering question I have for everyone. Does the mirror (right-hand, left-hand parts) symbol make sense?

Balu

Lurker
Staff member
Admin
I've mentioned before that I wasn't sure what it was, but after our discussion I got it. I have no idea besides having a really "mirrored" symbol. Something like

Code:
d | b
1 | 1

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
SP0NZ, it looks really good so far. I really like the first two pages, I might barrow some of these ideas for my own plans :) The key items are very self explanatory except the mirrored image. I'm not sure how to fix that one but it should be looked into.

Maybe something like this:
stock-vector-turn-page-sign-icon-peel-back-the-corner-of-the-sheet-symbol-gray-flat-button-with-.jpg

Or a combo of these:
Undo.png

paper-corner-clip-art_f.jpg

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
SP0NZ, it looks really good so far. I really like the first two pages, I might barrow some of these ideas for my own plans :)

Nic, thanks, and feel free to use whatever you like from what I've come up with so far.

The key items are very self explanatory except the mirrored image. I'm not sure how to fix that one but it should be looked into.

Great ideas, kep 'em coming. I like the idea behind the images that you sent. I was shooting for something simple that conveys the intent clearly. I'll keep thinking about it and looking for a better symbol.

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Is there any interest in having an assembly side and top view with some dimensions in the plans? What about an exploded assembly calling out the part numbers that are referenced on the 'cut' sheets?

Anything else that people would like to see on the plans?

Gryf

This is an interesting thread. My approach all along has been to trim and tape together the tiled sheets of the plan, and then cut out each piece from the plan separately. Then I tape each piece to foamboard individually and cut around the outside of each to produce the parts. This way I can make the most of my foam stock... For example, I just built a Mini Scout using nothing but remnants from previous builds, leaving my new foam untouched. To each his own, of course, but this has worked well for me.

Gryf

Balu

Lurker
Staff member
Admin
Dan, as much as I'd like to have the top / exploded views, I think that's a little going overboard :). It would be hard for others to match that on their plans too.

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Dan, as much as I'd like to have the top / exploded views, I think that's a little going overboard :). It would be hard for others to match that on their plans too.

Balu, this probably wasn't the right thread to post this question on. Thanks for keeping it on topic. I agree, for a general standard for rearranging or scaling the FT plans, that would be overkill.

I'm not only coming up with a layout for that, but also for my own unique designs as well. I think this will be a good place to split the template development. I was looking for feedback on the extra views/instructions more for my own designs than anything else. I've heard people asking for dimensions many times before.

Back on topic...

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
SP0NZ, it looks really good so far. I really like the first two pages, I might barrow some of these ideas for my own plans :) The key items are very self explanatory except the mirrored image. I'm not sure how to fix that one but it should be looked into.

Is this any better (the one on the left):

Mirrored.png

Balu

Lurker
Staff member
Admin
What about the mad scratchbuilders? How do the plans they use show mirrored parts? Do they just include everything?

The problem I'm seeing with your new suggestion is the colors. It doesn't fit in the explanation of the used colors.

Let's do a little brainstorming...

What about just using two numbers in the octagons like "1 | 1".
Perhaps splitting one octagon in two would work?
Or just having two connected octagons each with a number?

Last edited:

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Like this...

Mirrored 2.png

I strongly prefer the one on the left as it conveys the meaning of the symbol more clearly. At least to me anyway :rolleyes:

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
I'm going to start using it for mine. Thanks for the feedback.

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Okay, time for a real-world test of the OP topic... Rearranging FT Plans.

Here is my format for the FT Old Fogey. Why the Old Fogey you ask? Great question. I chose the Old Fogey because there is no tiled version of the original FT plans (at least none that I am aware of). Also, someone on the forums recently asked for them. Last but not least, it was a relatively simple design that incorporates some use of mirrored parts. I also included, as an added "bonus," templates for the graphics on sheet 3.

These plans include my "world-famous" Drawing Key and both the Full-Size and Tiled plans all in a single "easy-to-use" PDF document. I also figured out how to make the output PDF page size 7.5" x 10.5" so they can print to US Letter or A4 paper size at 100% scale. No adjustment needed. Your welcome!!! :D

FT Old Fogey 2015.01.28

I want your feedback! Is this what you are looking for in a plan set? Do you like having the Full-Size and Tiled plans in a single file? Does the Drawing Key make sense? If you print in Black & White, do the new line styles help? Is there anything missing? Do you like having all the parts labeled? Do you need any extra details? I'm all ears.

evan

Hi all, I wanted to share a YouTube tutorial that I just put up on how you can rearrange and reformat and even modify and scale Flite Test plans using the free graphics editor Inkscape. It's a pretty long video, but it explains the problems I had with printing plans the standard way, goes through examples of how I improved the process for myself, and then goes step by step through rearranging the FT Mini Scout plans. I end by talking about how you can use Inkscape to scale plans as well. I hope it's helpful, I'm in the process of putting together an article for it as well. I recommend watching the video over on YouTube itself, in at least 720p, and as full screen as possible, as I didn't anticipate how faint the lines for the plans would appear.

Old Fogey plans

Sponz
Your plans are very nice. I must applaud your work.
It makes me want to build and Old Fogey, and will make it much easier when I do.
Thanks

Okay, time for a real-world test of the OP topic... Rearranging FT Plans.

Here is my format for the FT Old Fogey. Why the Old Fogey you ask? Great question. I chose the Old Fogey because there is no tiled version of the original FT plans (at least none that I am aware of). Also, someone on the forums recently asked for them. Last but not least, it was a relatively simple design that incorporates some use of mirrored parts. I also included, as an added "bonus," templates for the graphics on sheet 3.

These plans include my "world-famous" Drawing Key and both the Full-Size and Tiled plans all in a single "easy-to-use" PDF document. I also figured out how to make the output PDF page size 7.5" x 10.5" so they can print to US Letter or A4 paper size at 100% scale. No adjustment needed. Your welcome!!! :D

FT Old Fogey 2015.01.28

I want your feedback! Is this what you are looking for in a plan set? Do you like having the Full-Size and Tiled plans in a single file? Does the Drawing Key make sense? If you print in Black & White, do the new line styles help? Is there anything missing? Do you like having all the parts labeled? Do you need any extra details? I'm all ears.

desert wings

Foam Fan
Thanks to Balu, SPONZ, and all others.
The drawing key is great and easy to follow. I will use it on any plans I design.

SPONZ I was going to import the key from your pdf's - but if you have a more pure vector version or could export from CAD into eps, cdr, ai, etc. I would love a "pure" copy of the key to begin to incorporate it into my designs.

Last edited: