redbarton Robotech Alpha Fighter Build Thread (My first design)

redbarton

It's not my cleanest work, but the new wing is built and installed.

IMG_20200121_184712032.jpg

Under cambered wingtips?

IMG_20200121_184738756.jpg

Last edited:

redbarton

So I haven't done much work on this build lately. I took a break and quickly designed my one piece origami plane. However, I have been spending a lot of time learning new advanced SketchUp options. So, I'm going to start on phase 2 of the design. This will include curves and other FT style master build techniques.

I still plan on getting prototype #1 in the air. It just won't stop snowing! Argh! I have about a foot of the white fluffy stuff outside right now. Spring can't come soon enough!

Last edited:

redbarton

I have new found respect for the designers of the FT Master Series plans and similar. Adding curves to a design in CAD is 10 times as much effort. The end result with be worth it though, at least for me!

redbarton

I stocks up yesterday. Unfortunately they didn’t have a 25 pack box like I wanted to get, so I only came home with 10 sheets... it should last me a couple days... :LOL:
Nice! I suspect there must be someone else around me building planes too. My store sells out of the foam super fast.

I'm going to take some time off this weekend. I plan on keeping my laptop handy so I can work on this some more.

Daryoon

Keep it up. Following with interest. I really want to do a Macross theme RC Plane too. I love the Alpha.

redbarton

Keep it up. Following with interest. I really want to do a Macross theme RC Plane too. I love the Alpha.
Hey Daryoon, this is definitely still on my radar. V2 design should be completed soon. I've been spending my limited extra time on a response to the overreaching FAA NPRM.

On a side note, I did take the prototype out in the back yard the weekend before last and do some chuck tests using a battery as nose weight. It's pretty floaty. I was surprised the COG was a little further back than I thought. Of course, that will probably change a bit once I have a motor and servos in there. The prototype nose isn't as pristine as it once was!

IMG_20200302_092808890.jpg

Winter is still lingering. I was hoping to do some flying Saturday morning. It was 60 degrees F, but was really windy all day while a storm front made it's way in. I got a couple inches of snow yesterday. I can't wait for things to warm up!

Last edited:

redbarton

Phew! Now that I've got my FAA comment submitted, I can get back to the Alpha. Here's another pic:

Screenshot_20200302-222421.png

It's hard to tell, but I've made a ton of little tweaks to the design. I'm going to rework the main intakes next to make them more true to model in appearance. Once that is done, I plan on building another model and install some electronics finally.

redbarton

It seems to glide very well. With a good hard chuck, I can get it to go 20-25 feet. I don't think that's too bad considering its kind of awkward to throw and a little draggy overall. Hmm? I have a steep grassy hill at a park close to my house. If the snow melts off soon, I'm going try some more glide tests.

V2's wings are little bigger, specifically in the front extensions, and thicker too. (3/4" at the thickest vs 9/16 before) So, the glide should be better for it as well. It will be interesting to see how this flies under power. Later, I can slim the wings down, if I want to go for more speed. Hence, the interchangeable wing option.

As for power, I'm going to start with a 3S lipo and probably a 2212-1400kv motor using a 8x4 or 8x6 prop. Ready to fly weight will be in the 500-600 gram range. I should calculate the wing loading one of these days.

Last edited: