??? Regarding covering materials available

Kingbird

Posting Elsewhere
I've been away from model planes for several decades. As I get back into the hobby I feel like I've been caught in a time warp! Trying to get caught up with all the changes, new products, etc. Also changing from glo-fuel control line to electric RC. Love the foam trainer I've got but want to build again and that means (to me) balsa and glue.

I have an old 1/2 A kit I want to get started on and set it up for 3 channel with electric power. What are you guys covering with now? I used to use silk or silkspan and dope, did a few with a new product called Monocote :eek: . What is out there and working good for everyone now?

Thanks in advance for any help getting back up to speed.

Cheers!

The best thing is to go to your local hobby shop for advice. The new coverings are basically an iron on heat shrink plastic. You will need to get a covering iron and heat gun to get good results. I would suggest joining your local rc aircraft club. Contol line is a different discipline to rc. Remember your now controlling three axies plus your speed. I fly both electric and nitro planes the wealth of information at your local club will get you on the right track. Also ask what type of control unit the instructors use so you can buddy box with them.

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
Keep in mind that there are many different brands of covering common in the market today, and people often have very specific brands they like. There are also different weight materials meant for different size planes.

My lightest planes usually get covered with So-Lite covering. It's very light, shrinks great, but can be a little hard to use for some people. It's my favorite covering.

Standard size planes that need more durability get covered with any brand covering, I don't have any real favorites.

The big birds may use standard covering or the heavier fabric style covering depending on the finish I'm looking for.

If you haven't used this type of material in the past, it would be worth spending some time practicing with it before you work on the actual plane. My dad actually cut about 6 ribs and stringers to make a simple generic wing section, complete with wing tips. This allowed him to get used to covering before actually working on the plane. He could remove covering and do it all again as often as needed to get comfortable with it and not risk the actual plane. You could build something like this easily in about an hour, to any size you like.

Kingbird

Posting Elsewhere
If you haven't used this type of material in the past, it would be worth spending some time practicing with it before you work on the actual plane. My dad actually cut about 6 ribs and stringers to make a simple generic wing section, complete with wing tips. This allowed him to get used to covering before actually working on the plane. He could remove covering and do it all again as often as needed to get comfortable with it and not risk the actual plane. You could build something like this easily in about an hour, to any size you like.

Thanks for the suggestion about the practice frame. Will most likely do something like that. The materials then sound similar to Monokote. Monokote was great for big areas but I always struggled with it in the tough areas, such as wingtips like you said. I hope the new stuff is an improvement. The iron I had for it has gotten lost somewhere along the way so will add that to the shopping list.

I've visited with the local club guys and been out to fly with them some. One of them was very helpful with suggestions that have helped my developing flying skills.

What material are you going to use on the Piet?

kulens

I haven't used it yet, but it seems doculam is a cheap and nice option in combination with depron (or foam-board in general). Referring to this video:

I'm wondering to use this technique too for my next project/buit, a pre-WWI plane. Does someone has experience with this technique?

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
My Piet is getting standard covering from Hobby King. I've had good results with their film, and I don't need anything heavier for this plane.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Just my 2 cents worth but beware of an old kit designed for tissue or other light weight coverings. The old design might not be able to take the forces generated from over shrinking the newer range of heatshrinking plastic films especially if the one applying them is not experienced.

I just did an overhaul of an old balsa Mustang and had to add corner gussets to support the tailing edges of the wings as well as the leading edges of the ailerons. Once the structure was beefed a little the new covering went on like a dream and the plane is now stronger that at any time in its existence.

It flies great on a park280 and is more stable and handles better than before according to the previous owner. Beware of the structural strength and all will be well.

Finally check and recheck for warping of the structure regularly even after it has been flying for a while as some films can stretch over time and actually warp the structure.

Fly well and land better