Reptile S800 What motor for efficiency

sumone

So i bought a reptile S800 and I'm putting it all together and have made a ply backing plate for behind the carbon plate so i can swap the motor more easily.
My understanding of motors is limited but I have 3 motors on hand to choose from ... Will prob. run a 6045 prop.
So for efficiency not speed what motor would you recommend ?
or are none of these suitable ?

Turnigy D2822/14 1450kv
or
Cheap ebay A2212 2200kv about 342W
or
Cheap ebay A2212 1400KV

ElectriSean

Eternal Student
Mentor
Those are all very large for the S800. I have the PnP version which comes with a 2205 2300kV, I think you will have balance problems running any of the ones listed.

sumone

Those are all very large for the S800. I have the PnP version which comes with a 2205 2300kV, I think you will have balance problems running any of the ones listed.

My 2200kv motor is 50g.
The pnp ver. 2300kv looks to be about 30g .
Do you think i should try and balance it out with a heavier battery and some nose weight just while I'm waiting for a better suited motor.?

ElectriSean

Eternal Student
Mentor
My 2200kv motor is 50g.
The pnp ver. 2300kv looks to be about 30g .
Do you think i should try and balance it out with a heavier battery and some nose weight just while I'm waiting for a better suited motor.?

It's worth a try, but adding weight also reduces efficiency.

quorneng

Master member
It depends what you mean by "efficiency".
With different kV values each of your motors will have a maximum efficiency amps level which will mean each would use a different prop.
In general the propeller efficiency is a factor of rpm, the slower the better and a coarser pitch but of course you need certain level of thrust simply to fly.
So use lowest kV motor and the biggest prop that keeps the maximum amps within the motor, ESC and battery limits.
With so many variables there is no magic formula. it largely comes down to 'try and see'.