Road to aerobatic flying - Just getting started? Post here!(Also about Transmitters)

SlingShot

Maneuvering With Purpose
An old timer the other day was telling me to turn on my motor brake and that would reduce induced drag from the prop to nothing. He was doing some pretty cool aerobatics with his plane and with the prop stopped his plane seemed to glide much better. I haven't tried this yet, but when it stops raining here...someday... I may experiment a bit.

That's true. The plane will glide better when it's deadstick with the brake on. A windmilling prop creates a lot drag.

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
I'm wondering why not turn the brake on all my planes then? Is there a downside to the brake being on?
You'll lose airflow over the tail surfaces, when I come in to land my Shrubsmacker, it's going so slow that if I don't leave the throttle on I won't get any surface authority. So I leave on a little throttle in order to get some airflow over the tail.

AkimboGlueGuns

Biplane Guy
Mentor
You'll lose airflow over the tail surfaces, when I come in to land my Shrubsmacker, it's going so slow that if I don't leave the throttle on I won't get any surface authority. So I leave on a little throttle in order to get some airflow over the tail.
Not totally accurate, in most cases with acro planes you'll have more airflow over the tail with the prop stopped rather than windmilling. When the prop is windmilling its stopping the air in front of it from making a straight line flow over the fuse and the tail, and it basically acts like an airbrake. For most aerobatics you want to be on power though, so you'll have positive airflow regardless of airspeed.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
It's -38C here with the wind chill as of right now, not much of any outside stuff going on today. It's even to cold to work in the garage, might have to set up temporarily in the back room

L Edge

Master member
Decided to beat the rain coming and fly the sukhoi😃 @L Edge are you a coach? Because I would love if someone gave me some pointers and told me what I was doing wrong.

Video https://photos.app.goo.gl/qo5uNbJDBd4auPxe9

Why are you yanking the plane around? You need to develop a smooth hand approach to your controls.
Why are you rushing the manuavers? A nice smooth transition is needed.
Do you have a gyro on?

Research a tail dragger's way to take off properly. Tell me the proper steps. It will explain why many yank it(or by brute power) it off, it rolls and crashes.