Road to aerobatic flying - Just getting started? Post here!(Also about Transmitters)

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
@L Edge now there is a great thread for you to help me with my 3D flying! I maidened the mini edge yesterday and practiced a little bit of knife edge. I got it tuned pretty well to where I like it, so next time the wind is calm, I'll take it out again. Here's the video. It might be too hard to see since the plane is small:
The first toss was pretty sketchy, but I recovered. I did a bit of inverted with it as well.

L Edge

Master member
@L Edge now there is a great thread for you to help me with my 3D flying! I maidened the mini edge yesterday and practiced a little bit of knife edge. I got it tuned pretty well to where I like it, so next time the wind is calm, I'll take it out again. Here's the video. It might be too hard to see since the plane is small:
The first toss was pretty sketchy, but I recovered. I did a bit of inverted with it as well.

Your score
0 for not having strap on radio.
7.5 for descent knife edge from left to right
0 for not doing it going other direction
and -4 for taking chances flying real low where you will crash out of being stupid. You have a plane you are tuning up for knife edges, it should be used only for only that for the moment.

I want to see a 5-10 sec flight from left to right doing a knife edge(try 3/4 throttle and adjust rudder, etc trying to keep it going). Don't care if you lose height. Turn quickly and go 5-10 sec from left to right. Do over and over and over. Do not crash it.

Any questions?

Setting you up for 3D Hovering. Exercise and plane I developed to practice,

1) The rudder will move you left or right and is used to keep wings level.
2) The aileron is to prevent roll.
3) The elevator is used to move it toward you or away.

Except, as you apply say rudder, action will be needed to counteract roll and maybe elevator to keep it perfect vertical.

20 cube is the game to play to closely simulate hovering. Imagine 20 x 20 x 20ft height. You must fly the plane in this cube at all conditions.
Do you have a plane something like this?

See how you need to change throttle, rudder back and forth, prevent rotation and keep it at an angle so it doesn't go forward or backward.
That is the practice of hovering, only needs to be vertical and it become a balancing act or over it goes.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Your score
0 for not having strap on radio.
7.5 for descent knife edge from left to right
0 for not doing it going other direction
and -4 for taking chances flying real low where you will crash out of being stupid. You have a plane you are tuning up for knife edges, it should be used only for only that for the moment.

I want to see a 5-10 sec flight from left to right doing a knife edge(try 3/4 throttle and adjust rudder, etc trying to keep it going). Don't care if you lose height. Turn quickly and go 5-10 sec from left to right. Do over and over and over. Do not crash it.

Any questions?

Setting you up for 3D Hovering. Exercise and plane I developed to practice,

1) The rudder will move you left or right and is used to keep wings level.
2) The aileron is to prevent roll.
3) The elevator is used to move it toward you or away.

Except, as you apply say rudder, action will be needed to counteract roll and maybe elevator to keep it perfect vertical.

20 cube is the game to play to closely simulate hovering. Imagine 20 x 20 x 20ft height. You must fly the plane in this cube at all conditions.
Do you have a plane something like this?

See how you need to change throttle, rudder back and forth, prevent rotation and keep it at an angle so it doesn't go forward or backward.
That is the practice of hovering, only needs to be vertical and it become a balancing act or over it goes.
I just bought a new transmitter and am switching between the two so the strap was on the old one. I’ll be sure to switch it back for next time. I’ll practice going right to left as well as left to right. I will take it up higher and not do stick jamming. ;) Tomorrow looks like the weather may cooperate and if so, I’ll practice the left to right as many times as I can. Do you want me to do right to left as well? I’ll practice hovering on the simulator a bit using the tips you listed. I’ve built vimana’s arrowhead which I can keep in a 20x20x20 cube.

Thanks for your feedback! I’ll review it again right before I fly!

L Edge

Master member
Did you notice your flying is just like NASCAR stuff. All you do is turn left almost all the time and go fast. Do the same stuff doing right as well, you have the makings of being an excellant pilot. I have coached a NATS winner by this method.

One goal I want to see every time is landing(both left and right approaches) 10 ft away from you and within plus/minus 10 ft right or left of you. Do not have it hit you, if you screw up, go around and do again. Expect 25 landings or more to meet this goal. Use other airplanes.

L Edge

Master member
I just bought a new transmitter and am switching between the two so the strap was on the old one. I’ll be sure to switch it back for next time. I’ll practice going right to left as well as left to right. I will take it up higher and not do stick jamming. ;) Tomorrow looks like the weather may cooperate and if so, I’ll practice the left to right as many times as I can. Do you want me to do right to left as well? I’ll practice hovering on the simulator a bit using the tips you listed. I’ve built vimana’s arrowhead which I can keep in a 20x20x20 cube.

Thanks for your feedback! I’ll review it again right before I fly!

2 addiional points.
When you start, plant those feet and do not move them. (tell me why)
Secondly, while your flying, does your eyes keep the horizon in tact so both plane and you know what is actually happening? The one comes to mind, can you fly parallel to a make believe runway. Can your right hand approach be lined up to be 10 ft from you.
Those should be practice until you don't have to think about it.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
2 addiional points.
When you start, plant those feet and do not move them. (tell me why)
Secondly, while your flying, does your eyes keep the horizon in tact so both plane and you know what is actually happening? The one comes to mind, can you fly parallel to a make believe runway. Can your right hand approach be lined up to be 10 ft from you.
Those should be practice until you don't have to think about it.
Since I paid attention to my surroundings before I took off, then if I moved, I'd have to take my eyes off the plane to see where I could land.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
I think because planes turn left better due to p factor and prop torque. I used to only fly left and I could barely turn right at one point, but I've since gotten better and can do figure eights without any problems. Right side up and inverted:)
Hmm, good observation. I can also fly figure 8's and right circuits, but if I'm maidening something or flying in high wind, then I feel 100% comfortable doing left circuits...

L Edge

Master member
Your missing out, they're tons of fun!
Since I paid attention to my surroundings before I took off, then if I moved, I'd have to take my eyes off the plane to see where I could land.

Yup. You really jumped in the video, so plant those feet. Can you concentrate on your plane when a mosquito is attacking? Never look away from the plane and never look down at the radio adjustments(trim) are made by knowing where they are by feel.

SlingShot

Maneuvering With Purpose
Wow. 18 pages since Tuesday! Very impressive.

I second the simulator opinion. Lots to like about not having to repair your mistakes. As far as airplanes go, I have some thoughts.

I really like the FT Mustang as a learning platform. It's a solid flyer, looks good and is easy to build. Any similar airplane would also be good. The FT Spitfire, and @unrauv 's Spacewalker for example.

Thinking outside the box a little, I'd like to plug the Kracken. I am absolutely fearless with one. Here I'm showing off a little. Bear in mind that I had less than 45 mins of stick time on this particular model, and had actually sold this plane prior to leaving Flite Fest.

Also, don't forget the Tiny Trainer with the sport wing. There's not much that it can't do.

Last edited:

SlingShot

Maneuvering With Purpose
I think because planes turn left better due to p factor and prop torque. I used to only fly left and I could barely turn right at one point, but I've since gotten better and can do figure eights without any problems. Right side up and inverted:)

Yes. And this is apparent in stall turns. It's easier to go left sometimes. But! If you have enough prop wash going, the difference is likely to be subtle.

There's one thing to keep in mind with electric planes. Don't retard the throttle to zero. You'll lose all of the desireable prop wash and induce unwanted drag. As a rule of thumb, keep at least 10-15% on.

With nitro and gas planes you don't have this problem so much. Even at idle, engines create decent airflow.

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
Yes. And this is apparent in stall turns. It's easier to go left sometimes. But! If you have enough prop wash going, the difference is likely to be subtle.

There's one thing to keep in mind with electric planes. Don't retard the throttle to zero. You'll lose all of the desireable prop wash and induce unwanted drag. As a rule of thumb, keep at least 10-15% on.

With nitro and gas planes you don't have this problem so much. Even at idle, engines create decent airflow.
I'll have to try keeping throttle on, never thought of that...

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
An old timer the other day was telling me to turn on my motor brake and that would reduce induced drag from the prop to nothing. He was doing some pretty cool aerobatics with his plane and with the prop stopped his plane seemed to glide much better. I haven't tried this yet, but when it stops raining here...someday... I may experiment a bit.