RR Finch - Ultra Micro Glider

Paracodespoder

Elite member
Plans printed. Printed from my iPad to a wireless printer, so the scaling is slightly off, wingspan measured just under 10 inches.

Paracodespoder

Elite member
Okay, built and flown! Glides really well, but a couple things, (1) it needs a longer nose to help with balance because mine took a lot of weight to balance and with all that extra weight it cuts into the glide time. (2) It woks well as a toss glider but not a chuck glider, meaning that thrown softly it flies great, thrown hard, it flies far but it goes straight up then straight back down, smashing into the ground, I believe this due to the undercamber. Other than that, great job, keep’em comin(y).

Robinder

Okay, built and flown! Glides really well, but a couple things, (1) it needs a longer nose to help with balance because mine took a lot of weight to balance and with all that extra weight it cuts into the glide time. (2) It woks well as a toss glider but not a chuck glider, meaning that thrown softly it flies great, thrown hard, it flies far but it goes straight up then straight back down, smashing into the ground, I believe this due to the undercamber. Other than that, great job, keep’em comin(y).
Interesting, thanks for the feedback! Wondering how much of that might have to do with the reduced scale on your prints?

Out of interest, what amount of weight did you need to add to the nose? I threw a 7g lead weight in mine and it was perfect. Albeit, I’m not firing mine hard, I was opting for the smooth, light toss. See what you can mod to make yours fly the way you want? I wonder if the angle of the toss affects the amount of elevator you need to get the flight characteristics you want?

Thanks for sharing!

Paracodespoder

Elite member
Not sure how much weight I used but i think it was a lot more than that. It was only slightly smaller than yours so I don’t think that it would effect it that much. I’m not very good at using hot glue sparingly so it might be to heavy, but yeah, with a light toss it flew great.

Paracodespoder

Elite member
Built this today.
image.jpg

Works better than the finch (at least mine, might have built it to heavy). Unfortunately at this size doing a folded fuselage is just to heavy for gliders. This on has an 11inch wingspan and has paper removed for weight savings. Found the plans in an ft article. It’s here on the forums somewhere, I found it a few years ago, but couldn’t find it again for a link. Search ”epp glider” on the ft articles and you’ll find it.

Robinder

Built this today. View attachment 119560
Works better than the finch (at least mine, might have built it to heavy). Unfortunately at this size doing a folded fuselage is just to heavy for gliders. This on has an 11inch wingspan and has paper removed for weight savings. Found the plans in an ft article. It’s here on the forums somewhere, I found it a few years ago, but couldn’t find it again for a link. Search ”epp glider” on the ft articles and you’ll find it.
Interested to see what the Finch build looks like!

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
I built one of these the other day as I prep for the cub scout STEM event I organize, this Saturday! After trying 4 other craft, this one wins. its small, durable, flies well, and should be fun and regular tape construction methods should work well.
drawback there are a lot of detailed cuts. and a bunch of post cutout work. and it doesn't allow for much adjustment during the learning process

I will post pictures of the event and out cub scout's builds here after the weekend.

Paracodespoder

Elite member
Funny you brought that up today,
image.jpg

I drew these up in sketchup yesterday (used the same plane just twice as large) and added an elevator and a rudder, hoping for a good RET or even just rudder/elevator trainer. 24 inch span (accidentally printed with a 25 inch span) by 20 long.

EDIT: This has been added to my Build-ruary list.

Last edited:

Robinder

Was able to make 7 of these for the kids at Christmas, and they have held up decently well! I appreciate the comments from those on this thread on how to improve/simplify.

Here is a pic of the painted versions, they include the ping pong ball nose for durability.

Would love to see your creations and improvements too!

Attachments

• 55DCDF12-65E4-4D97-8B6C-B49D7F9E99D1.jpeg
    55DCDF12-65E4-4D97-8B6C-B49D7F9E99D1.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Was able to make 7 of these for the kids at Christmas, and they have held up decently well! I appreciate the comments from those on this thread on how to improve/simplify.

Here is a pic of the painted versions, they include the ping pong ball nose for durability.

Would love to see your creations and improvements too!

Those look great! Nicely done!

Robinder

Great work! Are those skins or just painted? Also, I like the ping pong ball idea, smart.
Thanks, it was a lot of airbrush work, actually. The paint is holding up well so far. Had to figure out the right set of products, but the adhesion has been very good. I’ve heard poor reports of long term performance of the skins, so airbrushing is my go-to.

Robinder

my cub scout kids had a break in the tai. (not hot glued, just taped)
That’s too bad, I hadn’t tested with tape, but that’s a good idea for kids crafts. How did it fail?

Out of interest, how did the cubs like making them, and how did they fly otherwise? Did they get them to glide?