Rudder trouble

Pilot_35

I just finished building the FT Duster. All the control surfaces are fine but the rudder. The rudder is only moving right not left and I cannot figure out why. I am using a x9d transmitter and a dm9 spektrum module. I am using the receiver that came with the module. In the transmitter I have tried basic thing like reversing it but nothing is working.
Any help would be great thanks.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Try switching the servo wires between the rudder and some other surface that's working fine. That will help you figure out if it's a control signal / radio problem or something mechanically wrong with the servo or the hinge.

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
Try switching the servo wires between the rudder and some other surface that's working fine. That will help you figure out if it's a control signal / radio problem or something mechanically wrong with the servo or the hinge.

Good advice from Rockyboy as always. Is the servo trying to move the rudder but just can't or is it simply not even trying? If the former, check that the rudder hinge is moving freely both ways - there may be some hot glue stuck in the bevel or it might not be cut all the way.

DamoRC

RCdiy

RCdiy
When you tried reversing the rudder channel on the outputs screen did it change to moving only left and not right of centre?

The AIL and ELE - Do they deflect evenly each side of centre?

In the rudder mix what is the curve you have? Make sure it is Diff
screenshot_x9d_18-04-30_14-24-28.png

Pilot_35

I should have looked more closely but I plugged the rudder into the gear channel. The reciever that I am using does not have 2 spot for aliron channels is there a way to work around this?

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor

This can be a solution, but it sounds like you're using a 5 or 6 channel receiver if you have a gear connection. Make sure you plug one aileron into the AIL, the rudder into RUD, and then if you have an AUX1, you can use that for the 2nd aileron. That's what I did with mine. It could be that your transmitter is seeing activity from the GEAR channel as only 0-100, rather than -100 to 100, so it's only giving it half travel...I know it's possible to adjust that in a Spektrum transmitter setup.

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
I should have looked more closely but I plugged the rudder into the gear channel. The reciever that I am using does not have 2 spot for aliron channels is there a way to work around this?

Probably a good idea to share what transmitter and receiver you are using - that way we can give you a specific solution for your equipment.

DamoRC

Tench745

Master member
The other thing I would look at on any ft model is that the pushrod isn't bending. On the Duster the rudder pushrod is on the right side, so it can pull the surface just fine, but may bend when it tries to push left.

Pilot_35

Thanks for the help guys after messing around with it long enough I guess it gave in and corporated and it appear to be working fine know. It was being kinda of goffy at first.
Here is a picture of my duster It was my first real FT plane.

20180430_202116.jpg

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
Good luck; make sure your CG is set right before you try to maiden it. I had a mishap with mine and it kept porpoising before Dusty "dusted himself". LOL