Rule of thumb for CG (center of gravity)

paul_fio

This is my first post and I'm starting off by thanking Flite Test for all of their videos and helpful information. They really help calm the anxiety.

So I found some scratch build plans online from MikeysRC and I used his basic plans to start. I also had and crashed a foam Cessna Sky trainter that I crashed (after a few very short flights). I can fly the heck out of the simulators, but seem to get worked up when I'm trying to fly the real thing, but I also have no idea if my plane has the right CG setting.

Is there a rule-of-thumb to determine the CG of a plane? Should it be the highest point of the wing? I've used an online calculator and mine seems to be way off, but the directions from my sky trainer are very close to what the plane is now. I've built a plane using old parts from my sky trainer and the scratch build plans from MikeysRC... It looks like a dog now that i look closer... :p Any suggestions on how to set this up for stability would be greatly appreciated.

plane.PNG

earthsciteach

Agreed with IFLYRCstuff. You can be a bit on the "safer" side with 25% of the wing chord (front to back width) from the leading edge.