Help! Rx setup issue with lemon satellite, dx8e, and my gremlin

kdobson83

OK, the gear i am using is a new spectrum dx8e, a lemon rx satellite, and my standard gremlin. I pre bound the satellite to my tx using a regular lemon rx. i then cut the wires on the connector that connects the satellite to the main rx so that i could solder it to the board. Using betaflight i followed TJ's instructions setting up the rx in betaflight. Now, his connects right up, mine not so much. The light on the rx is flashing, which from what i've read, either means its in bind mode or that it has temporarily lost signal with the tx. Well, if its in bind mode, it sure wont bind as i've tried many times.
Now, i had this gremlin running previously, had a friend of a friend set it up for me with my flysky tx, so i know the quad and all of its components are working. I feel like i either have an issue with betaflight somewhere or there is an issue going on with the rx somehow. I wanted to ask you guys before i go out and buy a spectrum brand rx. Anyone have any ideas?
Psyborgfpv, you have any ideas? I hear your the Gremlin guru. lol

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Well, I've got a LemonRX on my gremlin so hopefully I can help you out. If the light is flashing, It is still trying to bind. Maybe you have a mis-config in betaflight for the RX config. Can you do a "diff" from CLI and post the results?

Cheers!
LitterBug

kdobson83

Well, I've got a LemonRX on my gremlin so hopefully I can help you out. If the light is flashing, It is still trying to bind. Maybe you have a mis-config in betaflight for the RX config. Can you do a "diff" from CLI and post the results?

Cheers!
LitterBug
Ok, typing DIFF in the CLI tab gave me these readouts.

CLI

# diff
# Betaflight / SPRACINGF3EVO (SPEV) 3.2.0 Aug 6 2017 / 13:38:03 (981df1d54)

feature -RX_PPM
feature -TELEMETRY
feature -RSSI_ADC
feature -TRANSPONDER
feature RX_SERIAL
map TAER1234
serial 2 64 115200 57600 0 115200
aux 0 0 1 1700 2100
aux 1 1 0 1700 2100
aux 2 2 0 1300 1700
aux 3 4 0 900 2100
set baro_hardware = NONE
set pid_process_denom = 2
profile 0

rateprofile 0

Not gona lie, i have no idea what any of this means. lol

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Well, I'm not going to lie, It's been a while since I've used BetaFlight, But I can use this as a starting point to configure mine the same as yours, and debug from there! :-D

Cheers!
LitterBug

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
Well, I'm not going to lie, It's been a while since I've used BetaFlight, But I can use this as a starting point to configure mine the same as yours, and debug from there! :-D

Cheers!
LitterBug

Out of curiosity, what FW do you use for your FCs now? KISS?

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Out of curiosity, what FW do you use for your FCs now? KISS?
I'm runnin dRonin on 99% of my stuff.

Ok. I've got BetaFlight 3.2.0 on it like yours. Now I'm having troubles with it going into DFU all the time.... Working..... :-D

EDIT: Ok, appears the FC doesn't like BF Configurator on Linux. Seems to be working fine on my old W7 box. Working....

Last edited:

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
I'm runnin dRonin on 99% of my stuff.

Coolio. :) I may have to try that on a new drone (except for an Acrobee - that, I'll stick with Betaflight because NewBeeDrone said they specifically built their BeeBrain v2 with Betaflight in mind).

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Coolio. :) I may have to try that on a new drone (except for an Acrobee - that, I'll stick with Betaflight because NewBeeDrone said they specifically built their BeeBrain v2 with Betaflight in mind).
You need to do your research first. dRonin has a much narrower window of support for FCs. The Femto is actually one, as are some other SPR F3 Evo clones. You can ping me and I can help you figure out if you have anything compatible, and/or point you in the right direction to something that will work.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Ok, typing DIFF in the CLI tab gave me these readouts.

CLI

# diff
# Betaflight / SPRACINGF3EVO (SPEV) 3.2.0 Aug 6 2017 / 13:38:03 (981df1d54)

feature -RX_PPM
feature -TELEMETRY
feature -RSSI_ADC
feature -TRANSPONDER
feature RX_SERIAL
map TAER1234
serial 2 64 115200 57600 0 115200
aux 0 0 1 1700 2100
aux 1 1 0 1700 2100
aux 2 2 0 1300 1700
aux 3 4 0 900 2100
set baro_hardware = NONE
set pid_process_denom = 2
profile 0

rateprofile 0

Not gona lie, i have no idea what any of this means. lol

I did have to make one adjustment to the settings to get the RX to work with mine under betaflight, But I did not have to rebind.

I bind with DSMX 2048 bit so I had to adjust
set serialrx_provider = SPEK2048
save

Makes me wonder if yours is somehow a different satellite. Do you have a picture of your gear? Here is mine.

MaidenedConfig.jpg

Cheers!
LitterBug

kdobson83

I did have to make one adjustment to the settings to get the RX to work with mine under betaflight, But I did not have to rebind.

I bind with DSMX 2048 bit so I had to adjust
save

Makes me wonder if yours is somehow a different satellite. Do you have a picture of your gear? Here is mine.

Cheers!
LitterBug

Heres some picture of what I'm using. I see it says dsmx compatable on the case. I thought I read that it was dsm2 somewhere. Think this is the problem? If so, what settings should I change?

Attachments

• 15308344456681138263297.jpg
    15308344456681138263297.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0

LitterBug

Techno Nut
That looks identical to the one I'm using. You can use DSM2, but DSMX would be much better. It's a more robust protocol and less likely to run into issues in areas where multiple people are flying. Check to make sure the model you have selected on the TX is configured for DSMX or auto select. I'm confused why your RX is coming up in bind mode with the LED flashing though. That normally only happens when the FC sends a bind command on power up.

You can force the FC to put the RX into bind mode, by using the following commands from CLI:
set spektrum_sat_bind = 9
save

The next time you power it up via battery, the RX should be in bind mode. A value of "9" is for DSMX 2048 bit bind. Once the RX is flashing, Power up your TX in bind mode. The RX light should be on solid if it binds correctly.

Cheers!
LitterBug

kdobson83

That looks identical to the one I'm using. You can use DSM2, but DSMX would be much better. It's a more robust protocol and less likely to run into issues in areas where multiple people are flying. Check to make sure the model you have selected on the TX is configured for DSMX or auto select. I'm confused why your RX is coming up in bind mode with the LED flashing though. That normally only happens when the FC sends a bind command on power up.

You can force the FC to put the RX into bind mode, by using the following commands from CLI:
set spektrum_sat_bind = 9
save

The next time you power it up via battery, the RX should be in bind mode. A value of "9" is for DSMX 2048 bit bind. Once the RX is flashing, Power up your TX in bind mode. The RX light should be on solid if it binds correctly.

Cheers!
LitterBug
Ok, I will try that tomorrow after work. Thanks! One question tho, will that command go away after it's bound or after I power it down or do I have to clear that after it's bound?

ElectriSean

Eternal Student
Mentor
Ok, I will try that tomorrow after work. Thanks! One question tho, will that command go away after it's bound or after I power it down or do I have to clear that after it's bound?

It should revert after you reboot the FC.

My experience with lemon satellites is that when they fail, they look like they are stuck in bind mode. I had 3 fail like that in a week, which was one of my motivators for going to Taranis ;) You are powering this with 3.3V right? Giving them 5V will kill them fast.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
There is a way to make it persistantly present bind mode if needed, but like ElectriSean said, It will revert to non bind mode the next time the board is powered. I've been fortunate and have never cooked any of my Lemon Satellites. I have broken the antennas, but that is easily remedied. Are you by any chance going to be at FFE next week? I'll be there and could help there as well.

Cheers!
LB

kdobson83

It should revert after you reboot the FC.

My experience with lemon satellites is that when they fail, they look like they are stuck in bind mode. I had 3 fail like that in a week, which was one of my motivators for going to Taranis ;) You are powering this with 3.3V right? Giving them 5V will kill them fast.
I had a Flysky receiver, the x6b I believe, in it previously. I just cut the wires and soldered the connector to the lemon receivers connector as it wasn't the same style. I didn't feel comfortable soldering the board. (Had a friend of a friend build it for me) So I'd assume it's getting the same voltage that the flysky receiver was getting. After doing some research on this rx, I see that it requires an input voltage of 4-8.4volts. I'm assuming this could be the issue? Since the lemon rx uses 3.3v? If this is the issue where would I solder the lemon rx at? Could the RX be bad now or is it in some sort of failsafe mode with the light blinking because of the increased voltage?

kdobson83

There is a way to make it persistantly present bind mode if needed, but like ElectriSean said, It will revert to non bind mode the next time the board is powered. I've been fortunate and have never cooked any of my Lemon Satellites. I have broken the antennas, but that is easily remedied. Are you by any chance going to be at FFE next week? I'll be there and could help there as well.

Cheers!
LB
No, I will not be at FF this year unfortunately. I don't have the vacation, money, or know anyone personally in the FT/FF community. I do plan to go next year tho. Hopefully it's at the new Edgewater airfield.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
I had a Flysky receiver, the x6b I believe, in it previously. I just cut the wires and soldered the connector to the lemon receivers connector as it wasn't the same style. I didn't feel comfortable soldering the board. (Had a friend of a friend build it for me) So I'd assume it's getting the same voltage that the flysky receiver was getting. After doing some research on this rx, I see that it requires an input voltage of 4-8.4volts. I'm assuming this could be the issue? Since the lemon rx uses 3.3v? If this is the issue where would I solder the lemon rx at? Could the RX be bad now or is it in some sort of failsafe mode with the light blinking because of the increased voltage?

There is a 3.3V pad as part of the Boot pads on the FC where they recommend connecting DSM RX power. My guess is that the RX is dead, but you could try dropping the voltage to see if it behaves any different.

Here's a link to the Femto manual with connection diagrams: http://www.yinyanmodel.com/upload/20161111/20161111094147991.pdf

LB

kdobson83

There is a 3.3V pad as part of the Boot pads on the FC where they recommend connecting DSM RX power. My guess is that the RX is dead, but you could try dropping the voltage to see if it behaves any different.

Here's a link to the Femto manual with connection diagrams: http://www.yinyanmodel.com/upload/20161111/20161111094147991.pdf

LB
Awesome! Thanks for the info!! When I get a spare moment tonight I'll resolder the + lead to that 3.3v port and try again. If it still doesn't work I'll have to get another satellite. I'll let y'all know either way.

ElectriSean

Eternal Student
Mentor
Could the RX be bad now or is it in some sort of failsafe mode with the light blinking because of the increased voltage?

I'm willing to bet that it's toast. Usually devices that take 3.3v are very sensitive to overvoltage as they have no regulator of their own. Best thing about LemonRx is that they are cheap :D