Help! Rx setup issue with lemon satellite, dx8e, and my gremlin

kdobson83

There is a 3.3V pad as part of the Boot pads on the FC where they recommend connecting DSM RX power. My guess is that the RX is dead, but you could try dropping the voltage to see if it behaves any different.

Here's a link to the Femto manual with connection diagrams: http://www.yinyanmodel.com/upload/20161111/20161111094147991.pdf

LB

Ok, so, i got the new receiver installed on the correct 3.3v port. It went straight into bind mode and bound perfectly. I am seeing a connection in betaflight, when i move sticks the bars move indicating a connection both between the remote and the RX and the RX and the board. But when i arm it, nothing happens. I have triple checked to make sure i have all my channels set up right, when i move the arm switch it shows up on betaflight as well as my flight modes. Everything looks good, motors beep when i plug battery in, light stay illuminated on the receiver, but when i hit the arm switch, nothing happens. I give it throttle, still nothing. I assume i have a setting wrong somewhere but i'm at a loss at this point. Watching the build video, im pretty sure i have all the same settings that TJ has. Is there anything else to look for?

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Probably need to make sure your TX is calibrated to have the end-points generate 1000-2000 on the RX tab. It may think your throttle is too hight which will keep it from arming.

kdobson83

Probably need to make sure your TX is calibrated to have the end-points generate 1000-2000 on the RX tab. It may think your throttle is too hight which will keep it from arming.
Still nothing. Ill post some pics of my settings.

Attachments

• Screenshot (5).png
    Screenshot (5).png
    261.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot (6).png
    Screenshot (6).png
    299.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot (7).png
    Screenshot (7).png
    271.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot (8).png
    Screenshot (8).png
    254.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot (9).png
    Screenshot (9).png
    295.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot (10).png
    Screenshot (10).png
    268.7 KB · Views: 0

kdobson83

In the Betaflight CLI enter the status command, this will give you a list of arming disabled flags, which are described here - https://github.com/betaflight/betaflight/wiki/Arming-Sequence-&-Safety
OK, i did. From what im reading i get a code 0x210. Looking at a Josh Bardwell video i have to look this up as binary and what not. Using the link he provided im coming up with #5, or what its calling BOXFAILSAFE and says the failsafe switch was activated and to "see failsafe". Im not seeing any info about failsafe on that page. Googing failsafe seems to come up with a bunch of prearm issues and what not. Ive made sure i have no prearm on on my board. So im at yet another spot that im stuck at. Any ideas?

edit: Doing some more digging i see that under the modes tab in betaflight when you flip the arm switch the tab that state mode should turn from grey to green indicating it is arming. Mine is staying grey... But it shows under the receiver tab that the switch is moving. When i flip the switch it moves. Ill attach photos of the screen shots of the switch off and on.
Screenshot (12).png Screenshot (13).png Screenshot (14).png Screenshot (15).png
I have the arm set up on aux2.

Last edited:

ElectriSean

Eternal Student
Mentor
edit: Doing some more digging i see that under the modes tab in betaflight when you flip the arm switch the tab that state mode should turn from grey to green indicating it is arming. Mine is staying grey... But it shows under the receiver tab that the switch is moving. When i flip the switch it moves. Ill attach photos of the screen shots of the switch off and on.

This is normal, if the board won't arm, the status in the modes tab won't change. I'd recommend upgrading to Betaflight 3.4, the stable release came out a few days ago. I think it was 3.3 when they changed from the binary flags to readable text so you can know exactly what is going on. If you haven't set up a failsafe switch, you shouldn't be seeing that particular flag, but I believe that they moved things around in the newest configurator (which I see you're running). The BF devs kind of suck at keeping the configurator backwards compatible, it's always best to run the latest of each.

kdobson83

This is normal, if the board won't arm, the status in the modes tab won't change. I'd recommend upgrading to Betaflight 3.4, the stable release came out a few days ago. I think it was 3.3 when they changed from the binary flags to readable text so you can know exactly what is going on. If you haven't set up a failsafe switch, you shouldn't be seeing that particular flag, but I believe that they moved things around in the newest configurator (which I see you're running). The BF devs kind of suck at keeping the configurator backwards compatible, it's always best to run the latest of each.
OK, doing some more research i stumbled upon an article about min_check for your throttle. If the quads minimum throttle number is higher than the min_check setting in betaflight, the quad wont arm. So, i got into my control setup on my dx8e and adjusted the min travel of my throttle from -100 to -106 and vuala, quad armed right up. Basically, betaflight doesn't like spektrum. I woulda got a qx7 when i bought this dx8e but i fly a lot of planes and receiver cost was a deciding factor. Both lemonrx and orangerx pushed me over the edge to go with spektrum.
Long story short, thanks guys for all the help!!!! FT community for the win!! Again! lol

ElectriSean

Eternal Student
Mentor
Betaflight and Spektrum get along fine, all radio/receiver combinations require fine tuning to work perfectly. Setting up servo endpoints and centers is one of the most important steps, and should be repeated whenever changing a Rx or Tx. @LitterBug pointed this out earlier in the thread, so I assumed you had done it :p

Glad you got it all working, happy flying :D