Scale Build-Off - Miles Hawk Sped Six 60" Wingspan

Ben Presten

Ooooooooookay here we go again. So my dad and I have both always had a soft spot for the Miles Hawk Speed Six. Him and I both happen to think it may be the most beautiful airplane ever created. It also happens to lend itself fairly well to DTFB building. Now I have grown tired of wasting time on trying to build scale airplanes at a small/parkflyer size and I do have a full scale runway to take advantage of so I have elected to go with a sixty inch wingspan. Last year I chose to build another one of my favorites which was the Keith Rider R5 JackRabbit. http://forum.flitetest.com/showthread.php?15174-FlitTest-Scratch-Build-Off-1-6-scale-Kieth-Rider-R5-Jackrabbit I was a little sour after that deal because I spent a stupid amount of time painting it and the day after I crashed it the custom graphics arrived. I sort of ticked me off that I never got to see it all finished and looking pretty. I still want to make another one.

Anwho onto this project. I am going to make the airplane look as good as possible before I fly it. That way If I smash it to bits on the first flight at least I will have some nice pictures of it to remember how sexy it was. So far I have designed the plans for it, built the fuse minus the bottom and the poster board and built the first set of wings which I immediately threw in the trash because they just sucked. So I have to do a little tinkering with the wing plans and then I will build new wings for it. After all of that bologna is done with I will all the round stuff and start painting. Before I get anybody exited about this build I will say that I did all that stuff about two weeks ago and haven't touched it since because I have no money and I am preoccupied with building a new kitchen table for my house and I am working on an airplane and ballistic parachutes that I think may have a future to bring me money. Which brings me to my final obstacle which is that I currently have no money to invest in this project. So as soon as my plat is cleared (more likley this airplane will just push some other stuff off the plate at some point) I will get building.

SO I don't want to fool myself or anyone else into thinking this airplane is going to be fast. This airplane is going to be rather slow. It will have a fairly thick airfoil for good slow flight and with any luck it will be very light. I have always found airplanes just fly better like that. I am not certain about the electronics but it will most likley be 4s with one of my Turnigy XP motors swinging a 13X6 prop. I'll work out all the detail later. At this point I just want to stop writing so I'll throw up some pics including some of the current plans.

Attachments

• 1537555.jpg
    1537555.jpg
    425.8 KB · Views: 8
  • Screen Shot 2015-10-04 at 3.42.35 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-10-04 at 3.42.35 PM.png
    659 KB · Views: 11
  • Screen Shot 2015-10-21 at 9.14.56 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-10-21 at 9.14.56 PM.png
    191 KB · Views: 11
  • Screen Shot 2015-10-21 at 9.14.42 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-10-21 at 9.14.42 PM.png