1:9 Scale Bristol M1C - The HangarRC 2022 Build off Challenge

Baron VonHelton

Elite member
Picked up some K&S 502 0.47" (1.2mm) music wire from the local hardware store so should be able to get the M1 ready to maiden tomorrow. In the meantime did a quick taxi check as I had added a steerable tail wheel although the full scale plane just had a skid but its easier to be able to taxi at the club field.

BULLY!
il_570xN.809253389_6v92.jpg

Spitfire76

Having to add 168g (6oz) of ballast to the nose to balance this plane. I guess its because the wings are close to the nose and likely due to the full scale engines being so heavy in 1916/17.

Its been suggested to extend the nose slightly and since I have a removable power pod I can a little on this version and by doing so it has reduced the amount of ballast to 4.5 oz or 126 g. On the other hand If I do get to land this plane I had better do it gently otherwise that weight will likely break the landing gear!

IMG_3142.JPG

Baron VonHelton

Elite member
Having to add 168g (6oz) of ballast to the nose to balance this plane. I guess its because the wings are close to the nose and likely due to the full scale engines being so heavy in 1916/17.

Its been suggested to extend the nose slightly and since I have a removable power pod I can a little on this version and by doing so it has reduced the amount of ballast to 4.5 oz or 126 g. On the other hand If I do get to land this plane I had better do it gently otherwise that weight will likely break the landing gear!

View attachment 218654

Yes. My Plalz E.I would take off, but then want to hang on its prop rather than continue to fly straight. It's a daunting task to get these old warbirds ballanced.

(y)

Spitfire76

Yesterday was the cutoff date (Feb 14th) for submissions to the HangarRC Build-off challenge and so I sent in what I had done so far and whats needed to complete it which is
  • Cowling (3d printed)
  • Spinner (3d printed)
  • Cockpit area decking (poster board)
  • Empennage decking (poster board)
  • Painting or skin
  • Further test flights (without Aura 5 lite)
  • Develop plans from Inkscape development drawing
There were rumors that an extension was going to be granted but no news at the moment.

Either way I will continue to complete the build as I have really enjoyed designing it and may not have done so without this challenge.

Spitfire76

Finally got around to covering the rear end of the fuselage with poster board turtle deck. I was hoping to add some decals to the Bristol M1 but my Epson WF 2660 printer has a 0x09A error code and so have started to troubleshoot it. I will conduct some test flights again tomorrow with the M1 with a reduced nose weight.
IMG_3179.JPG
IMG_3178.JPG

Baron VonHelton

Elite member
Finally got around to covering the rear end of the fuselage with poster board turtle deck. I was hoping to add some decals to the Bristol M1 but my Epson WF 2660 printer has a 0x09A error code and so have started to troubleshoot it. I will conduct some test flights again tomorrow with the M1 with a reduced nose weight.
View attachment 220650
View attachment 220651

Nvr mnd......It is white. Duh. I forgot about the fixed vertical.

Spitfire76

The M1 flew really well today but did have an issue with one of the 3d printed wheels. The tire came off on the landing. Now I don’t have any sort of suspension so may have to work on that but for the moment the repair is to reprint the wheel hub.
IMG_3182.JPG

cyclone3350

Master member
View attachment 220650
View attachment 220651
Well Done! I liked how U scored the foam on the rear fuse for that fabric over longeron effect.