scary and sad

ghost civic

I was just working on a plane. I was sitting there, making some cuts and suddenly..POPUFF! The sound came from my hot glue gun. just seconds later smoke starts coming from it.

No fire or anything. But I am going to miss that gun, may she RIP. She has been with me the whole time ive been scratch building.

I might tear it apart tomorrow and try to figure out what the heck happened.

jamboree1

I'm sorry for your loss. Maybe consider a Dewalt glue gun, ceramic heating element and half the time to heat up

Raptortech

Foam Addict
I had an old hot glue gun (I don't know the brand) that used to get furiously hot. After a couple of long gluing sections, the force from the glue entering the back of the heating tube caused the whole heating element to shift forward and melt through the plastic at the front of the gun. The next time I pressed the trigger, all the internal components came out though the front of the plastic case. Basically, it looked like the gun vomited out all it's electronics. I wish I had taken pictures, because it was pretty funny.

saiga556

Full of...
I'm sorry for your loss. Maybe consider a Dewalt glue gun, ceramic heating element and half the time to heat up

I have the dewalt and it has been a good gun. But now when the trigger is squeezed it just slides on the glue stick a lot of the time.

Also I have noticed that the temp of mine fluctuates quite a bit. If your not using it, it cools down some after using it sometimes it gets very hot and actually boils the glue( bubbles in the glue).

when I first got the dewalt it was great but performance has diminished over time.

Does yours do any of these things?
I like how fast it heats up but I think I want something better, more reliable. It really sucks when you get half way through gliding something big and the gun messes up.

ghost civic

to be honest, I might have been at some fault for my adtech dying.

I had noticed it has required more pressure to squeeze the trigger.

Then, a few days ago I went to use it and you had to squeeze REALLY REALLY hard! So I opened the gun up and for some reason glue had been oozing out (or backing up?) So I scrapped all the glue out, got it nice and clean and put it back together. It then worked like new! I used it for 2 or 3 sessions before POFF.

I might have pinched a wire or sometihg when putting it back together. But I don't think glue should have oozed out like that in the first place. I was in the habit of laying the gun on its side....I think with the new gun I will start putting it upright after use.

jamboree1

I have the dewalt and it has been a good gun. But now when the trigger is squeezed it just slides on the glue stick a lot of the time.

Also I have noticed that the temp of mine fluctuates quite a bit. If your not using it, it cools down some after using it sometimes it gets very hot and actually boils the glue( bubbles in the glue).

when I first got the dewalt it was great but performance has diminished over time.

Does yours do any of these things?
I like how fast it heats up but I think I want something better, more reliable. It really sucks when you get half way through gliding something big and the gun messes up.

I use the dewalt at work and don't have those issues, but it only gets used maybe a half hour at the most before it gets unplugged. At home I do use the good ol adtech, i prefer the size more than the dewalt and i use the mini adtech for those pesky tight spots