Schoolgirl biplane DT foam board maiden flight

TooJung2Die

Master member
I built a few of these from balsa over the years, all of them were great flyers..along with the single wing Schoolboy. The last one I built was an upscaled version with a few mods, I just never totally liked the looks of the smaller wing so I made it a bit larger, also enlarged the vert. fin..not because it needed it but only it always just looked out of proportion.

Seeing your build has me thinking about rebuilding my larger version in foamboard, can't beat the old classics like these.

I agree with your opinion of the vertical fin. It looked oddly small to me. I went back to the original plans to verify I had the dimensions correct. Yup, it's supposed to be that way. Works fine too but a larger vertical stab would look more balanced.

I'd love to see your version of the Schoolgirl.

Foam board construction is so much easier than balsa and more forgiving when things go wrong. I want to recreate all the balsa airplanes I built as a boy with foam board. So far I made a Carl Goldberg Ranger 30 http://forum.flitetest.com/showthread.php?21498-Carl-Goldberg-Ranger-30 and this Ken Willard Schoolgirl. Another beautiful airplane I remember was a stick and tissue Guillow SE5a. When the urge to build hits again the SE5a may be the next project. :cool:

BobK

Banned
I agree with your opinion of the vertical fin. It looked oddly small to me. I went back to the original plans to verify I had the dimensions correct. Yup, it's supposed to be that way. Works fine too but a larger vertical stab would look more balanced.

I'd love to see your version of the Schoolgirl.

Foam board construction is so much easier than balsa and more forgiving when things go wrong. I want to recreate all the balsa airplanes I built as a boy with foam board. So far I made a Carl Goldberg Ranger 30 http://forum.flitetest.com/showthread.php?21498-Carl-Goldberg-Ranger-30 and this Ken Willard Schoolgirl. Another beautiful airplane I remember was a stick and tissue Guillow SE5a. When the urge to build hits again the SE5a may be the next project. :cool:

I might give her a try, I found my old measurements from the last one I built, my mods are really nothing more than cosmetic but I do feel the larger bottom wing makes her float even more. Top wingspan of 45", bottom of 37" with a thicker chord.

I am a die-hard balsa builder, I agree foam board is easier but to me it will never replace balsa. That opinion doesn't go over well these days and I see balsa building dying out.

Thanks for the plans, I will use them if I build it and I will be covering it with DT gift wrap :)

Great color scheme BTW it really adds to the era of this plane, I like to use contrasting colors running chordwise on the bottom of wings for orientation but the way you have it should be no problem distinguishing top from bottom. One suggestion though, using more than two rubber bands per wing might be a good idea..if one snaps with only two it might not be good.

Last edited:

dgrigor02

I get tickled with your astonishment that it actually flys when you first throw it up. Just like you did with the Ranger30 video.

Great work. I have always liked Willard's designs. He's one of those designers that had a real knack for making great model airplanes! I have plans for his Drake II, I just need to get off my butt and get it built.

TooJung2Die

Master member
I get tickled with your astonishment that it actually flys when you first throw it up. Just like you did with the Ranger30 video.

Ha ha! I was genuinely surprised it flew. I fully expected a short uncontrolled flight and hard crash. After the trouble I had with the first few versions of the Ranger 30 I didn't expect the first version of the Schoolgirl would fare any better. It was a happy surprise. :D :D :D

By the way, I LOVE flying the Ranger.

Jon

Last edited:

BobK

Banned
Very nice job on the Ranger 30 build, I didn't see that thread before. Another great plane.

Well I got a bit crazy tonight and ended up with this, I am building per your plans but since it is a bit bigger (~135%) I did add a couple bulkheads and fuse doublers for strength. I like bigger planes here because The wind always seems to be blowing, hopefully I can keep it light enough to keep the great flying characteristics of the original. A bit larger fin and bottom wing, I plan to make a few different size bottom wings just to see if it really makes a difference on how it flies. I might add ailerons, I haven't decided yet.

IMGP7124.JPG

TooJung2Die

Master member
Very nice job on the Ranger 30 build, I didn't see that thread before. Another great plane.

Well I got a bit crazy tonight and ended up with this, I am building per your plans but since it is a bit bigger (~135%) I did add a couple bulkheads and fuse doublers for strength. I like bigger planes here because The wind always seems to be blowing, hopefully I can keep it light enough to keep the great flying characteristics of the original. A bit larger fin and bottom wing, I plan to make a few different size bottom wings just to see if it really makes a difference on how it flies. I might add ailerons, I haven't decided yet.

That is awesome! At one third larger it'll probably be even more stable. The larger vertical stab and wing area can't hurt either. Are you attaching a clear tape covering to the bottom of the horizontal stab for reinforcement? I see something in your photo.

I thought I would need a bulkhead or two in the fuselage but during construction it came out strong enough without them. The servo/ receiver shelf under the top wing and a battery shelf in the nose was enough reinforcement. I did add side doublers where the wings attach and the dowels pierce the foam. Those kinds of details will be figured out by an experienced scratch builder such as yourself as it goes together.

One suggestion though, using more than two rubber bands per wing might be a good idea..if one snaps with only two it might not be good.

Sounds like the voice of experience speaking. ;)

Jon

Last edited:

BobK

Banned
That is awesome! At one third larger it'll probably be even more stable. The larger vertical stab and wing area can't hurt either. Are you attaching a clear tape covering to the bottom of the horizontal stab for reinforcement? I see something in your photo.

I thought I would need a bulkhead or two in the fuselage but during construction it came out strong enough without them. The servo/ receiver shelf under the top wing and a battery shelf in the nose was enough reinforcement. I did add side doublers where the wings attach and the dowels pierce the foam. Those kinds of details can be figured out by an experienced scratch builder such as yourself as it goes together.

Jon

It will either be more stable or I am completely ruining the design, and that is the last thing I want to do. To me this is still Ken Willards design and the last thing I want to do is take it and make it "my" design if that makes sense. I am hoping only to just make his great 50 year old plane a bit larger. The clear film is Dollar Tree gift wrap, I am experimenting using it as a covering film but I am having trouble finding just the right glue for it, here it is just tacked on with a glue stick until I decide what I am going to use..glue stick will not hold it enough to stay.

I really don't feel the bulkheads are necessary, I added one in front that is visable and another at the rear of the top wing and to be honest I mainly did it to make lining up the fuse sides easier for me, I will probably cut out most of the center of the bulkheads before I am done. The fuse doublers are top to bottom between the bulkheads under the wing and there in the nose, there is a seam under the wing because I had to use two pieces of foam to get the 36"+ fuse length and I wanted doublers over the seam, and the nose doublers are because the only motor I have available is a bit large for the plane so mainly just a precaution.

I am by no means an experienced scratch builder when it comes to foam, with balsa maybe but I am still learning foam lol.

I'll see how it comes out on weight and probably try flying it like it is, but ultimately if I can figure out the glue and film issue I am hoping to remove a lot of foam and cover it. Hopefully it flies as nice as yours does :)

hotwax

Hi Jon,

enjoyed your video, good job on the Schoolgirl. These old designs make really good Foamboard planes.

My flying ground should dryout to get my new planes in the air.

Thumbs up

canuck

Wow, that brings back memories. I built the original kit as one of my first powered aircraft. What a wonderful design and a great idea as a foam board project. I will definitely look into this one.

TooJung2Die

Master member
This might actually work

Bob, I'm so glad you are trying this. It is exactly what I had in mind when I started the Schoolgirl project. I wasn't sure how well it would fly so I decided to keep it simple for the first version. You're going to share exactly how you accomplished that beautiful covering? It gives it the look of built-up balsa construction.

Jon

BobK

Banned
Of course it is Dollar Tree gift wrap, I used 3M Super 77 spray glue, just on the edges so the rest would shrink. I sprayed the edges then let it dry a bit, laid the film one side and wrapped it over the edge, ironed the edge with low heat, then trimmed, then sprayed again and did the other side then shrunk it with a heat gun. You have to be careful or it will burn through. It is also glued down at the hinge line. I have done this with plastic food wrap before but this is almost as strong as regular Monokote, etc.

I was going to wait until I knew it would fly, but with your video, plans and the proven design I am sure it will. I wanted to get at least the tail done since it is the hardest..the rest will be easy. I need to come up with a cool looking scheme that keeps the 1960's era of this plane.

Here is a link to the wrap, it only comes in red, blue, or clear (not sure who buys clear gift wrap) which makes the color choices a bit slim. This is the cellophane wrap..not paper.

https://www.dollartree.com/party-supplies/gift-wrap-bags-accessories/Assorted-Colorful-Translucent-Cello-Wrap-20-sq-ft-Rolls/574c590c590p326172/index.pro?method=search

Last edited:

kacknor

Build another!
Bob, I'm so glad you are trying this. It is exactly what I had in mind when I started the Schoolgirl project. I wasn't sure how well it would fly so I decided to keep it simple for the first version. You're going to share exactly how you accomplished that beautiful covering? It gives it the look of built-up balsa construction.

Jon

I've been playing a bit in Inkscape and thought I might add to the project in a small way.

I put the plans into one page, and added a bit of color. Both are easily printed at Staples as engineering drawings for about $20 total.

View attachment Print SchoolGirlFullSkin.pdf

View attachment Print SchoolGirlFull.pdf

JD

TooJung2Die

Master member
You guys are great!

JD, the full size plans and skins look terrific. I really like the graphics you did. They'll make a great looking bird.

Bob, When you say you sprayed the adhesive, did you apply it to the foam or to the clear wrap? Is one coat enough?

Thanks again,
Jon

BobK

Banned
You guys are great!

JD, the full size plans and skins look terrific. I really like the graphics you did. They'll make a great looking bird.

Bob, When you say you sprayed the adhesive, did you apply it to the foam or to the clear wrap? Is one coat enough?

Thanks again,
Jon

I applied it to the foam, I am going to try some other glues as well. This will work great on balsa models also, and be much easier than foam. I did one coat but had to glue twice, once for the first piece then another to overlap. You can spray the wrap but it leaves it cloudy in the open areas.

Last edited:

kacknor

Build another!
You guys are great!

Thanks again,
Jon

You are welcome! I feel the urge to build one and in reality, I just don't have the room so I thought what if? I do have room on the hard drive. ;)

Very cool JD, another option is a sign shop should be able to print these on lightweight vinyl.

Thanks Bob. Haven't tried vinyl because I'm thinking it would just melt with the hot glue on it? how does it hold up? The paper does well, and takes Minwax or Camp Dry very nice.

JD

BobK

Banned
You are welcome! I feel the urge to build one and in reality, I just don't have the room so I thought what if? I do have room on the hard drive. ;)

Thanks Bob. Haven't tried vinyl because I'm thinking it would just melt with the hot glue on it? how does it hold up? The paper does well, and takes Minwax or Camp Dry very nice.

JD

Hot glue might melt vinyl..dang it now I have to see..ugh. Lightweight adhesive backed vinyl can applied to a finished plane just like plain press on stickers, that is how I do it. It is flexible so it goes on easily where paper is easier to apply beforehand.

I am all for planes that last so paper just doesn't work for me minwaxed or not, some of my balsa planes have been flying for years and there is no reason foamboard can't last that long without crashes. It lasts for years in a landfill.

Last edited:

BobK

Banned
Here is a test, lightweight adhesive backed sign vinyl from the local sign shop stuck to foamboard and then glued with hot glue, I added another hot strip to the face of the vinyl. Should be fine I think.

IMGP7145.JPG