Science Project

speedfix

Hi all,

I’m working on a science project in school and I am building a plane, but I need it to be easy to switch it from a pusher configuration to a standard tractor configuration. Does anyone have any ideas? Plans?

Inq

Elite member
Hi all,

I’m working on a science project in school and I am building a plane, but I need it to be easy to switch it from a pusher configuration to a standard tractor configuration. Does anyone have any ideas? Plans?

I like the idea of the Skymaster!

Depending on what you're trying to teach the students...
You might consider the Sea Otter - https://www.flitetest.com/articles/ft-sea-otter-build or...
Sea Angle - https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?resources/ft-sea-angel.44/
It looks like you could pretty easily make the pod turn around. If you get the rotation axis centered on the motor, you might not even have to adjust the CG.

speedfix

Inq

Elite member
I am the student! Lol 😂

:ROFLMAO: You must have a sadist for a teacher. Making a plane work either way just to illustrate pusher versus tractor design isn't very instructional or interesting compared to the millions other design factors of aircraft design. Good luck!

speedfix

:ROFLMAO: You must have a sadist for a teacher. Making a plane work either way just to illustrate pusher versus tractor design isn't very instructional or interesting compared to the millions other design factors of aircraft design. Good luck!
We have like 2-3 classes to do it so I needed something somewhat simple. I chose to do this! I love RC and this is just a fun opportunity to build a plane in class.

speedfix

The assignment is more about learning how to run an experiment, collect data, and graph the data, among other things, it’s not so much about the actual project you are doing. If that makes sense.

speedfix

Inq

Elite member
The assignment is more about learning how to run an experiment, collect data, and graph the data, among other things, it’s not so much about the actual project you are doing. If that makes sense.

Sounds pretty cool. What field is the primary course work? General Science, Aeronautics, Electronics, Software... ?

With micro controllers, you could do all those things - (1) collect data (2) graph the data. Another one of my hobbies is software development. Here is my website offering a free microprocessor library that does just that. Here is the quick start page that shows what can be done with just a few lines of code - https://inqonthat.com/inqportal-the-three-line-promise/
I'm looking forward to integrating the two hobbies... once I can keep the plane above ground level. ;)

speedfix

Sounds pretty cool. What field is the primary course work? General Science, Aeronautics, Electronics, Software... ?

With micro controllers, you could do all those things - (1) collect data (2) graph the data. Another one of my hobbies is software development. Here is my website offering a free microprocessor library that does just that. Here is the quick start page that shows what can be done with just a few lines of code - https://inqonthat.com/inqportal-the-three-line-promise/
I'm looking forward to integrating the two hobbies... once I can keep the plane above ground level. ;)
I think it would be in aeronautics, but I’m not 100% sure. We needed something pretty easy to measure, so I chose speed. We were also learning about dependent vs independent vs controlled variables. I’m in 6th grade so it’s not going to be the most sophisticated project. Lol

Inq

Elite member
I think it would be in aeronautics, but I’m not 100% sure. We needed something pretty easy to measure, so I chose speed. We were also learning about dependent vs independent vs controlled variables. I’m in 6th grade so it’s not going to be the most sophisticated project. Lol

That sounds great to be doing that in 6th grade. It was sounding high school, if not college level there for a while. :ROFLMAO: Keep at it... Aerospace, controls, software, electronics are all lucrative careers for you some day. I wish you all the best! Got to have good people designing airplanes for us... Boeing sure could use a few good people! :p

This was my 8th grade science project back when we used an Abacus to do Math. It's a wind tunnel using an attic fan and had a cardboard plane with ailerons, rudder and elevator controlled with strings and the sticks.

science fair 1976 windtunnel.jpg

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
... I need it to be easy to switch it from a pusher configuration to a standard tractor configuration...
The Versa wing comes in both tractor and pusher configuration. No matter which plane you choose, the trick will be making sure the CG is correct in both configurations.